996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Change oil before or after going to the track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Change oil before or after going to the track?

I have about 5K miles on my oil. My car burns almost 0 oil. Should I change before or after going to a driver's event?

Of course I'm sure the best is answer is before AND after but that's not very practical for me. I generally only do 3-5 20 minute sessions before going home.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Originally Posted by ari
I have about 5K miles on my oil. My car burns almost 0 oil. Should I change before or after going to a driver's event?

Of course I'm sure the best is answer is before AND after but that's not very practical for me. I generally only do 3-5 20 minute sessions before going home.
If I had to pick one or the other... I'd choose to change my oil AFTER going to the track, but that's just me.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:57 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NineElevenLover
If I had to pick one or the other... I'd choose to change my oil AFTER going to the track, but that's just me.
Hmm, I was thinking the exact opposite - I want the best possible viscosity/lubrication when putting the car under stress vs. old, contaminated, degraded oil (relatively speaking).

Old 05-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
I'm with tvr-4.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:14 PM
richgraham is a jewel in the roughrichgraham is a jewel in the roughrichgraham is a jewel in the rough
I'd want to best protect my metal parts prior to stressing them. Clean oil will never do you wrong.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
For the kind of track event you're talking about (relatively short runs, 3-5 times in a day), you probably don't need to do a special change of oil. It's probably more important to make sure you have the right oil level. However, if you're close to needing an oil change anyway, I'd say change it before the track event (rather than after) since the engine will obviously be stressed more at the track. However, make sure the oil ISN'T over filled just before going to the track. (Which could be an issue if your oil changer fills it up to the max line).

Last edited by Aerodude; 05-29-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
I'd probably change before going to the track if I had to choose. After 5k miles, your oil has likely lost a bit of viscosity and at the hot oil temps your oil can see on the track you don't want your oil running on the thin side. What weight oil are you running currently?

Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Ok change it before and after track events. Nothing to worry about then.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:50 AM
MTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really nice
Before!!!!

Old 05-28-2011, 05:21 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NineElevenLover
I've received this same advice. Before and after is of course the absolute best, but if you're only doing one, most regular track guys I've spoken with say to do it after.

The logic, as was explained to me, is this... a high quality modern synthetic with 5k miles of street driving is still basically in pretty decent shape. Shouldn't be any problem for it to handle an HPDE day at the track without issue. But, as for the trackday itself, the oil temps reached while lapping at the track greatly exceed what is experienced on the street - which can cause the tracked oil (new or old) to basically be garbage by the end of the day. If you only change once, and do it before... then running your motor on that compromised oil for the next 5k miles (post-trackday) is the greater evil in this case.

Would be interesting to get an opinion from sharkster or any of the other shops that regularly track, for which they recommend.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:42 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Before.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Sounds like it's before, during and after .

Seriously though, I've heard from some experts that the oil changing thing has become a little bit of a scam. Yes, it's cheap insurance -- can't hurt. But I understand that oils today (especially the synthetics) are so good that having people change them so frequently has become a business generating proposition (whether you're in the business of producing, selling or changing oils). I'm reminded of the Hi-Fi Audio expert that recommended that I have the same length high-end cables for all of my speakers (of course, that meant the longest length).

Back on the oil changing question -- I'm not saying I believe the advice -- it's just what I've heard from some reputable folks (e.g. engineering friends who work for auto manufacturers). Any thoughts?

Last edited by Aerodude; 05-28-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 AM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I've received this same advice. Before and after is of course the absolute best, but if you're only doing one, most regular track guys I've spoken with say to do it after.

The logic, as was explained to me, is this... a high quality modern synthetic with 5k miles of street driving is still basically in pretty decent shape. Shouldn't be any problem for it to handle an HPDE day at the track without issue. But, as for the trackday itself, the oil temps reached while lapping at the track greatly exceed what is experienced on the street - which can cause the tracked oil (new or old) to basically be garbage by the end of the day. If you only change once, and do it before... then running your motor on that compromised oil for the next 5k miles (post-trackday) is the greater evil in this case.

Would be interesting to get an opinion from sharkster or any of the other shops that regularly track, for which they recommend.
Bingo.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by richgraham
Clean oil will never do you wrong.

Old Johnny Cash song?

Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM

The delta in oil temps when tracking vs. oil temps driving on the street once the engine is at the operating temps is relatively small (it's not like brake fluid where the boiling point makes a big difference.

Oil degrades over time from heat cycling (heating, then cooling down over and over) and contaminants that engine "releases" through it's normal operation.

You can buy into any theory you want, I leave it up to you on what kind of oil you want to put your car under stress.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Change oil before or after going to the track?