996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How important is an exaust, really?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:39 AM
daytrip00 is infamous around these parts
How important is an exaust, really?

Is an exhaust really necessary for the tuning process?
I see Softronic advertise that you can get 70hp/tq without one and adding an exhaust only gives you 10-15 more hp. I don't care so much about soud (would actually rather keep things quiet in my dense neighborhood) so i'm wondering if it's that much of a problem to skip the exhaust upgrade.

What do you guys think? I know i'm in the minority here in not caring too much about the sound.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:53 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
There is not much mystery. When you look at the math involved with generating boost and the effect of back pressure, you NEED the exhaust to relieve the backpressure of the stock exhaust... if you do not you will not get the performance.

In terms of softronics number, do not be fooled by looking at peak hp... The real impact will be in low and mid range.

Europipe 2 Quiet. Best option for you.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Once you start tuning the car and making serious mods, a better exhaust becomes an important part of the equation. You wouldn't want the exhaust to become the bottleneck in your performance gains. On the other hand, a better exhaust on an otherwise stock car is probably giving you better sound than performance. I'd say a software flash alone probably doesn't really need a better exhaust. But once you start doing more....

Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I noticed a significantly better throttle response when I added the exhaust after the flash. It definitely added more than 10-15 hp as that would typically be difficult to feel at the power level of a TT.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Peak power won't be much different when flashing X16s. BUT boost will come on 500 RPM earlier with a good exhaust.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:11 PM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
The motor is an air pump. Power comes from pumping more air through the system. At some point, the air coming in will get piled up going out. AT SOME POINT. Turbos in the exhaust stream modify this fundamental. Catalytic convertors also. The one selling point that generally holds true is that aftermarket exhausts drop significant weight. For those doing road track events, getting weight off the car behind the axle will make the car handle better. But as others have said, you don't need it for a typical software upgrade.

Another point. HP and Torque gains advertised by vendors are almost always advertised in a vacuum where no other upgrades are done. You will be disappointed if you do 10 mods, add up all of the advertised gains and then get on a dyno and fund out the sum is usually less than the math might promise.

Jim

Last edited by jspporsche; 05-30-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,Very important...Now and down the road.....You will be happy when you drive it with an exhaust......Good Luck......

Old 05-30-2011, 01:29 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Some would argue that a high performance exhaust is the single most important upgrade, and in some cases is the most significant horse power gain. It typically requires a reprogram to adjust for the altered (usually increased) flow of gasses through and out of the engine. Weight savings is a huge benefit as well. It's pricey, but IMO it is one of the most worthwhile mods. If you don't improve your exhaust system, at some point soon in the process it will become the limiting factor.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Exhaust means nothing, that's why I don't run one!

Old 05-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Exhaust means nothing, that's why I don't run one!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
go take tape an cover up the outlet to your a/c unit in the summer time and evaluate its performance how hot the unit gets trying to push air out and how much cold air gets inside the house.

it makes a difference, can you just get a flash yes, but its the power under the curve that matters not the peak power number.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Put on a decent exhaust on your stock car without a flash... you will notice a difference...
turn up the boost from .7 bar to 1 bar via flash... and you will see even more...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 AM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
On the K16 where is engine throttling from input side efficiency the limiting factor?

Jim

Old 05-31-2011, 12:55 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Changing from the stock exhaust to a modified exhaust does yields some power benefits. The true benefits occur when combined with a tune that can use the additional flow. You can also shave significant weight off the back end with an after market exhaust.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:12 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zippy
Peak power won't be much different when flashing X16s. BUT boost will come on 500 RPM earlier with a good exhaust.
^^^Huh? I picked up over 80whp/120ftlbs with my K16 flash? I DID happen to notice it.

To the OP, most exhaust systems will add 10-20whp and 10-20wtq. You do not NEED an exhaust to get a flash, you will obviously will be leaving some power on the table if you don't. MY guess is you will still get 50whp over what you have now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How important is an exaust, really?