996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stuttering/Unresponsive Throttle After Starting My Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 AM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Stuttering/Unresponsive Throttle After Starting My Car

I've been noticing an issue with throttle response after starting my car (even when warm). It goes away after a bit of driving and seems to be the worst at low RPMs and low load. For example, shortly after starting my car, with the shifter in neutral, if I simply try to blip the throttle, the RPMs don't raise as they should. Instead, the engine stutters. This also prevents smooth acceleration when engaging the clutch and starting to roll off in 1st gear. After reving up to 3 grand in 1st and shifting into 2nd gear, there's also a stutter/pause before I get any power.

My car is strong and pulls like a mule after driving for a short period of time. If this was something like plugs, wires, or coils, I'd think the problem would be manifesting itself all the time, especially under heavy load.

Do you all have any ideas? Thanks.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 AM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Unplug the maf and try again. Right before my MAF blew I was having the same issue, felt like the throttle was lagging.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Sounds like a MAF issue to me as well. My car exhibited some stuttering at low RPM about a year ago and all I needed to do was clean the MAF and all issues went away. Start with that and see if it fixes the problem. There is a DIY on MAF cleaning on this site somewhere but it is pretty easy. Just need some electronics cleaner.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Tj Hunter is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
Sounds like a MAF issue to me as well. My car exhibited some stuttering at low RPM about a year ago and all I needed to do was clean the MAF and all issues went away. Start with that and see if it fixes the problem. There is a DIY on MAF cleaning on this site somewhere but it is pretty easy. Just need some electronics cleaner.
If the cleaning helps, you should order a new maf, cleaning is only a band aid to the issue. This problem is common on BMW E39 M5's.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 PM
REOFL is infamous around these partsREOFL is infamous around these parts
Just purchased my 2004 911 TT with only 6500 miles. Car was sold to me with a similar issue. Porsche Dealer claimed the O2 sensor. After swapping out that sensor and the MAF, problem persisted. Have you looked at the alternator and volt output? The car automatically runs through several checks at start-up, which in my case, may have caused the sensors to go awry. We were getting Cat sensor codes indicating MAF, etc...However, readings didn't confirm.

I couldn't get any boost and the car ran rough at low/idle RPM. Alternator replaced and problem seems to be fixed. I will post if the issue isn't resolved tomorrow so you don't waste your money on a new alternator, but as of tonight, runs like a champ.