996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 TT seating position question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:12 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
996 TT seating position question

Hello,
Closing the deal on a TT but since i never got a chance to drive one,i have a question about it's seating position...
Do you sit ON the seat or IN the seat...
as a ref,944 Turbo and 968 Turbo,you sit on the seats...
E55/Supra TT and most BMW's,you sit in the seats...
The point is,i want the center console bit higher making you feel sitting in the seat...
Please advice...
Thanks

Old 06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
turbo_banker is infamous around these parts
I came from an E92 M3 in which you really feel like you sit in the seats as they are really deep with big side bolsters, so when I got into the 911 it did feel a lot like sitting 'on' the seats.

However some people who get in my car (after coming from regular cars) think the seats are sporty and that you sit 'in' them. Also i would think that if you got the sports seats upgrade it would feel a lot more as though you are sitting 'in' them.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
My car came with the supply leather seats and I always felt I was sitting on the seat. I bought a set of 997 sport seats out of a GT3 and put them in and now I feel like I'm sitting in the seat. The bolsters are so much better.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
I believe he is referring more to the driving position than the seats them selves.

With a high dash and seating position, my E46 feels like i'm sitting on the seat. Quick also owns a 1991 (I believe) 911 turbo and when I drove that car I felt like I was sitting on the seat.

In my 1997 Supra, I feel more like I'm sitting in the seat with the lower seat position and the raked windshield.

The more I think about it, his impression may be driven more by the angle of the windshield than the seat.

Just my 2 cents,
Steve

Old 06-03-2011, 04:07 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
the 911 ****pit is a small all business place...the seats are firm and in most cases factory seats non-sport and even sport to some extent in the 996 feel like you are a bit higher than in a supra for example. Also the wrap around console and the low seat compared to the raised center console area give this feeling as well in the supra and the Porsche is a totally different ergo design. The Porsche is not like the supra in ergo design or cars like it with a driver surround raised instrument and seats very low in the chassis... my X50 felt like I was sitting on the seat, my GT2 feels better but both are not the same as a supra or even my SL55 AMG which has more of a low in the car with the dash and center console higer up type feeling.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Lets see if i can get it across bit better...
Do you sit up-right or are you able to recline and kinda lay back in the seat ?
In other words,being 5'8" if i put the seat in the lowest position,would i see the entire hood ( which i see in my '91 Turbo) or the top of the hood,the wiper area ?
Not being able to drive one is really very frustrating.
Thanks

Old 06-03-2011, 06:04 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Where are you located ?, maybe one the forum members could meet up with you so you can sit in or on the seats And maybe even take it for a spin.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
May not be completely related to your question, but I remember when I first got my 996TT I had a little trouble finding the best seat position. I was coming from an BMW M Roadster and I just couldn't adjust the seat to where I was comfortable. Finally, I read a post that recommended the following:

1) Lower the seat to the lowest setting (on the floor);
2) Adjust the forward-back of the seat for your feet (e.g. clutch, if you have a 6SP); and
3) Adjust the angle of the back so you can rest your wrist on the top of the steering wheel comfortably.

Setting the seats in this way did the trick for me. YMMV.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Can some please post a picture of the driver seat ( moved all the way down) from the driver side with the door open...
I want to see how low the seat can go..
Appreciate the help.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by quick
Can some please post a picture of the driver seat ( moved all the way down) from the driver side with the door open...
I want to see how low the seat can go..
Appreciate the help.
Not sure what picture angle you're looking for -- but here are two shots from about the same angle (my seat in the highest and lowest positions).

Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Great however i would appreciate if you could take the similar picture from bit further away...
Btw are those supple seats or sports ? ..
Thanks

Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by quick
Great however i would appreciate if you could take the similar picture from bit further away...
Btw are those supple seats or sports ? ..
Thanks
I think they're supple (according to the original sticker).

Old 06-04-2011, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by JSBear
Where are you located ?, maybe one the forum members could meet up with you so you can sit in or on the seats And maybe even take it for a spin.
Kentucky just outside Louisville

Old 06-04-2011, 07:05 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
if you are 5'8", why do you worry, this is the kind of height that makes you fit in EVERY vehicule. If you were 6'4 or 5'1 i would understand the concern but 5'8, there is not a car in which you shouldn't feel confortable. I am 5'8 and i drive at the lowest position, this is my prefered position.

Basically all you are asking is if the console goes up high like in a viper or corvette or if it is closer to the floor like a regular car? Well it is closer to the floor, the reason some cars have high console is because of the rwd with the transmission and the driving shaft, no need for that in a 911. Also, the seats are pretty thick so yeah it feels like you sit thigher that in most sports car, especially when you owned an nsx. At first it gives you the feeling that you are not in a sport car but once you get used to it (and get older) you start to appreciate that, having a car that you can get in and out as easy as a daily driver but still have the same performance (or more) than those cars where your butt is on the tarmac. I feel the view in the 911, at 5'8 is amazing, and it feels like it even more coming from a viper gts where your nose is at the height of the dash.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by pumalex
if you are 5'8", why do you worry, this is the kind of height that makes you fit in EVERY vehicule. If you were 6'4 or 5'1 i would understand the concern but 5'8, there is not a car in which you shouldn't feel confortable. I am 5'8 and i drive at the lowest position, this is my prefered position.

Basically all you are asking is if the console goes up high like in a viper or corvette or if it is closer to the floor like a regular car? Well it is closer to the floor, the reason some cars have high console is because of the rwd with the transmission and the driving shaft, no need for that in a 911. Also, the seats are pretty thick so yeah it feels like you sit thigher that in most sports car, especially when you owned an nsx. At first it gives you the feeling that you are not in a sport car but once you get used to it (and get older) you start to appreciate that, having a car that you can get in and out as easy as a daily driver but still have the same performance (or more) than those cars where your butt is on the tarmac. I feel the view in the 911, at 5'8 is amazing, and it feels like it even more coming from a viper gts where your nose is at the height of the dash.
You are cracking me up...
So at the lowest seat position,do you extend your forearms up,levelled or do they go down ?
Similarly,what about your eye level ? Do you see the headlights area or you see the windshield just pass the steering wheel ?
It's really hard for me to explain.
I am glad you all have patience to put up with my nonsence..
Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 TT seating position question