996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

need advice: 996tt audio overhaul

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 AM
scottrx7tt has a spectacular aura aboutscottrx7tt has a spectacular aura about
luckally, my car has the BOSE system, it actually sounds really good. I threw in an old CD of Dj Magic Mike, and it kinda took me back to the old days when i had a couple of 10s in the back of my Scirocco!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 AM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
3subs is overkill.I sometimes turn off my sub and use my 3 way system which have 6.5 in doors and is enough bass already.My sub is use for low frequencies only.
Alot depend on install quality,deadening and tuning.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:07 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Its been a while since I have last posted, but my audio system is now completed - I ended up having Elite Audio Systems (EAS) in Colorado Springs completely remove everything and start over with a new Alpine INA-W910 bluetooth GPS nav head unit, I had chose the alpine because I thought I would use their Imprint (Audyssey acoustic processor from my success with Audysseys home/studio products) as well as the higher end Alpine amplifiers but went a different direction and didn't want to get a new head unit.

A couple friends and EAS highly recommended Hertz audio (Audison is the parent company), I listened to quite a few of their installs and was quite impressed. We ended up deciding on a 2 channel (kinda) plus subwoofers due to the small space in the 996 turbo. In front we used Hertz Mille 1600 (6.5", 40-7khz) woofers installed in the factory door positions paired with Mille 280 tweeters in the dash location. For subs, we stayed with my supplied pair of JL 6.5" subwoofers in a small bose like box in the back.

The perfect amplifier for this was the Hertz HDP5 with a total of 950watts that can be divided up in several ways, I think this install was 100w x4 and 550w to the subwoofers (follow me on this). What really brings this system together is an Audison bit10 audio processor with active crossovers (hence the 4x100 vs 2 channels with passive crossovers), this amazing device makes the Alpine Imprint look like a childs toy with its 32 band eq PER channel.

The HDP5 fit in the factory amp mount with some minor mods, the bit10 is amazing as it can be configured via usb with Windows laptop with Audison proprietary acoustic software to set up the listening environment exactly to your tastes. We went through several setups as the drivers broke in, as a home audio fanatic, I am truly impressed despite the road noise and loud exhaust.

There are no drawbacks with the Audison and Hertz equipment outside of cost, but the Alpine is a serious pain in the *** with its lockout of basic settings, given the choice to go back and get something else, I would strongly consider it.

Overall I was impressed with EAS's ability to work with my supplied equipment, flexible with my personal choice of acoustic tuning and worked within my project scope. I've only heard of Hertz and Audison without much experience, but they definitely are worth a look and highly recommended.

I'll post some pics when I get them emailed to me.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DEEPBLUE
Its been a while since I have last posted, but my audio system is now completed - I ended up having Elite Audio Systems (EAS) in Colorado Springs completely remove everything and start over with a new Alpine INA-W910 bluetooth GPS nav head unit, I had chose the alpine because I thought I would use their Imprint (Audyssey acoustic processor from my success with Audysseys home/studio products) as well as the higher end Alpine amplifiers but went a different direction and didn't want to get a new head unit.

A couple friends and EAS highly recommended Hertz audio (Audison is the parent company), I listened to quite a few of their installs and was quite impressed. We ended up deciding on a 2 channel (kinda) plus subwoofers due to the small space in the 996 turbo. In front we used Hertz Mille 1600 (6.5", 40-7khz) woofers installed in the factory door positions paired with Mille 280 tweeters in the dash location. For subs, we stayed with my supplied pair of JL 6.5" subwoofers in a small bose like box in the back.

The perfect amplifier for this was the Hertz HDP5 with a total of 950watts that can be divided up in several ways, I think this install was 100w x4 and 550w to the subwoofers (follow me on this). What really brings this system together is an Audison bit10 audio processor with active crossovers (hence the 4x100 vs 2 channels with passive crossovers), this amazing device makes the Alpine Imprint look like a childs toy with its 32 band eq PER channel.

The HDP5 fit in the factory amp mount with some minor mods, the bit10 is amazing as it can be configured via usb with Windows laptop with Audison proprietary acoustic software to set up the listening environment exactly to your tastes. We went through several setups as the drivers broke in, as a home audio fanatic, I am truly impressed despite the road noise and loud exhaust.

There are no drawbacks with the Audison and Hertz equipment outside of cost, but the Alpine is a serious pain in the *** with its lockout of basic settings, given the choice to go back and get something else, I would strongly consider it.

Overall I was impressed with EAS's ability to work with my supplied equipment, flexible with my personal choice of acoustic tuning and worked within my project scope. I've only heard of Hertz and Audison without much experience, but they definitely are worth a look and highly recommended.

I'll post some pics when I get them emailed to me.

Are you running your midbass from 40hz to 7khz?

Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Just from the little time I have used it, I am going to guess that's its more like 50ish up and let the subs take care of 30-60ish hz, I didn't tune it although I do have the bit10 to make config changes and can take a look at it in the future.

Originally Posted by gu9cci
Are you running your midbass from 40hz to 7khz?

Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Try 63hz to 4000hz-ish for midbass
4000hz hp for tweeter
Sub 63hz to 25hz
All settings at 24db/oct

And let me know if it sound better

Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Dharma is infamous around these parts
Hi Everyone,
I have an 03 996 Turbo. Does anyone know if I can put a later year, like a 997 Bose in mine with bluetooth? What can I do to upgrade?

Richard
RBWDharma@gmail.com

Old 06-20-2012, 04:47 PM
arortiz has a spectacular aura aboutarortiz has a spectacular aura aboutarortiz has a spectacular aura about
audio upgrade

Started upgrade on 02 996tt with pioneer avic-140bh. Very happy! Purchased jl audio component speakers (4" for dash and rears, 6" for the doors), but haven't installed them yet. Curious if anyone has modified the oem bose subwoofer box for aftermarket speakers? Would like to install jl audio shallow mount subs but find custom boxes either too expensive or too heavy. Anyone?