996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

need advice: 996tt audio overhaul

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
need advice: 996tt audio overhaul

I need some advice from the resident experts, I have an 01 turbo, I swapped the head unit, speakers and amps over the last few years but am very dissatisfied with the current audio quality.

Im good with the head unit, the amp is an alpine 4x75, but the speakers are the focal separates in the factory size and locations, I believe they are 5.5's with 1' tweets all around but sound nothing like the factory stuff they replaced, bottom line there is no bass whatsoever. I am not looking for a box with 12's with neon lit amplifiers and crossovers or anything elaborate, I just looking for some decent sound.

Ive been shopping online and came up with a couple ideas I have are swapping out the back speakers for small subs, maybe an 8" in each side, installing them in the inside and use the factory cf grills and leaving the front speakers.

The other idea is using the same subs in the back but swapping out to bigger speakers in the door and using the related separates on top of the dash.

More or less want a simple but good sounding system, the car is more for hauling *** but need some tunage for the drives.

Any ideas or advice? I figure others have been down this road and would have some experience. I greatly appreciate any help and insight offered.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Contact these guys. They do great work and have some really nice subs for the 996.

http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm

They did a sub install on my 964 cab and it is incredible. When I tire of the bose system, I will go to them again

Old 06-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I'll be interested in the advice you get, and how it all turns out. For me, the best part of the audio is coming from inside the engine compartment .

Old 06-04-2011, 04:49 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
what is your budget?

Old 06-04-2011, 04:59 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Budget isn't an issue, but I am more value/quality/performance minded than name brand and/or bling. Not doing audio shows, its more of a very mod'd performance car that needs good tunes.

Originally Posted by gu9cci
what is your budget?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:01 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Contact these guys. They do great work and have some really nice subs for the 996.

They did a sub install on my 964 cab and it is incredible. When I tire of the bose system, I will go to them again
+1 for these guys, but with a caveat: You don't need to "go" there. They are local (somewhat) to me and Ron Birch has been very gracious with his time and advice... so check out their page on subwoofers, it looks like it is a drop in replacement for the Bose SW.

I'd see if they can make and ship it.

Also, instead of futzing with upsizing your existing speakers, and trying to push more bass, just add what the system needs: bass, and use a crossover/eq to dial it in.

He's done A LOT of these cars, and surely knows what works- ping him, it can't hurt.

(Unless he sells you a stage 3!)

A

Old 06-04-2011, 08:04 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
Well first of you need replace your speakers.I would put 3 way in the front (tweeters,midrange,midbass) and subs.I never like rear speakers because of you want the music coming from the front and not the rear.Some nice headunit loke pioneer dex p99rs which have onboard 4 way capable processing with time aligment and eq.In case you wanna go active in future.Saving space i would go with JL AUDIO HD amps and that should be good for start.Also if you wana keep your current headunit good processor (as your audio brain)would be good.Audison bitone,zapco or jbl ms8 will do the job.
The advice i an share is always think forward with car audio means if you passive you will want to try go active in future and on and on.For about 3k (if you installed) you shoild have great system.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:34 AM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
Has anyone tried this sub option? I am thinking about it since it seems like a nice fit. It may not provide huge bass but should be better than stock - anyone?

http://www.sound-in-motion.com/insta...ail.html?id=17

Old 06-05-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm going to call some of the recommendations from here, but an option I am researching (along the lines of what gu9cci recommended) is a set of 3 way JL separates in the front, (6.5' in the door with the 3" and 1" in the dash) with a pair of JL 6.5" subs in the stock location in the back all driven by the new JL 4x150 amp. Alpine also has a 4x150 amp (PDX F6) that is also roughly 9x11x2 but the JL was better reviewed by different sources.

Another company called DLS has a set of 6.5 components that are claimed to go to 30hz and are very well reviewed, they don't make the 6.5 sub driver though.

Any experiences with any of these or the logic I am using?

I have read of many installing 6.5's in the door, the only limitation is the 6.5 subs in the rear oem positions are the mounting depth, anyone removing the rear speakers, I could really use this measurement (I'm in Afghan, car is in Arkansas under Todd and Cyn's engine building expertise ;-).

(I am using the Sony XNV-770BT GPS head unit, replacing a older Eclipse unit).

Old 06-05-2011, 03:09 PM
The jl amp is definetely beter.For your 6,5 door midbass you can remove the stock enclosure because not all midbass/subs are designed for enclosure exept focal 13 ks and few others.Dls are good speakers as manny others.Few named hybrid audio technologies legatia,rainbow profi kick,dynaudio esotar,focal,morel hybrid ovation,scanspeak and on will be good replacement.Those jl components are surpricingly good midbass performers.
Speaking of car audio inovation rod birch shop after i call them time to go i was not received good service and even little time to conversation.I geel like the only way to upgrade is from them and proves was very high.
For the door midbass you will need baffle easyly makeble by yourself.Actualy your dash midrange are 4 inch so get the bigest speakers posible to fit in there.Dont forget install is very important factor for good result as well some sound deadening.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Also interconects (rca are big factor so if ypu go with decent system dont be chepo on interconects).If you need any or other stuff let me know.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
First of alll, make it back from Afganistan safe.

If you don't have the BOSE bass box in the back, I'm sure you can find one and retro fit with some decent subs or have one built that fits in the location thereby saving what little back seat room you have and not putting big bumps on the front floor in front of your seats. For the bass you're looking for the amp (4x75) is only enough to drive the fronts and rear panel tweet and mid speakers. You'll need a dedicated subwoofer amp putting out signicant power (min 150w) for each sub woofer. The nice part about keeping everything behind stock grills or encasements is no one is going to bother to steal what they think is a Bose system. I'm not a fan of hacking out the metal behind the speaker grills to fit bigger speaker there. Beside there is not enough spacial volume in these area's to generate deep base (and there is tons of stuff behind there that will want to start resonating). The subwoofer can't flex enough and the back pressure sound gets lost. I'd keep what you have, add a dedicated subwoofer amp and subwoofer(s) and enclosure before swapping anything else out. You're audio shop should know were to set the cross overs to optimize the system.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 06-05-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Are you in the Denver area? I had my system done by a shop in Commerce City and the bass is excellent. I had Focal speakers put in all the way around. The Bose subs and box were removed from behind the seats, and a single 10" Focal sub was installed in a custom enclosure. It is totally carpeted and not visible.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:10 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
for people not looking to rattle the car next to you, ive found midbass drivers or good quality components more then enough bass.

for instance a set of image dynamics 6" mid bass drivers put out more bass then alot of 10woofers.

it just depends on what your going to listen to. myself i dont like bright speakers like mb quarts. I prefer Image dynamics/focal type speakers as they are better on my ears.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 AM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nikolas

+1 owner is awesome and loves porsche. He claims he developed the rear subwoofer system before BOSE did

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: need advice: 996tt audio overhaul