996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear-Quarter Panel Damage & Assesment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice
Rear-Quarter Panel Damage & Assesment

I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, if location matters. We have a lot of bicyclers as I am assuming that is their primary mode of transportation in my neighborhood. I went into my apartment this weekend to drop off food for my dog and came out to find two grapefruit sized dents in my quarter panel near the edge of the side air inlets. I paid a PDR guy to remove the dents, but he was only able to get it to around 90%. After all is said and done, I took it to my body shop who said that the dents could be pulled our further, but a light skim coat of body filler would be required. Should I be worried about the body filler? I've heard that this stuff is bad, will crack under moisture, etc... Should I replace the panels with the 997 turbo panels while I'm at it or go straight for the Techart GT Street RS panels?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, if I were going to replace those panels, I would go with the RUF style quarters with the air duct on the top. You might be able to buy a genuine panel from RUF or if you have a good body shop buy a 996 C4S quarter and have them make the ducts.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 PM
kennyPride is a jewel in the roughkennyPride is a jewel in the roughkennyPride is a jewel in the rough
Listen, if you want to upgrade then go for it, but don't be swayed on using a little filler to repair your quarter panel. This is a industry standard of repair and completed by a top professional shop you will enjoy your repaired car as long as you own it.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
My advice would be to bring it to a expert shop and have it fixed right.A good shop will use minimal if any filler.Filler will need to be used anyway when swapping out the quarters and IMO is just a giant red flag and would have me thinking as to why a 996 has 997 quarters on it(ie was it hit hard).Also you will likely devalue the car .Take pictures of the damage before it goes into the shop.i am not far from you in East Williamsburg and one of the best body shops around is not far in LIC. Sportscar Painting in LIC on Van Dam st is where i would take it. 718-937-3939...speak to Vinny.Good Luck!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Take some pictures of your car before and after the professional repair. Put it away in the maintenance file you should be keeping anyways. That way you can have pictues to explain what happened when you sell the car.

Dings and dents are a fact of life

Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM
@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice
Thanks so much for the help guys! I guess I was worrying about nothing. Although I do like the RUF panels

Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
I'd leave it as is if you are worried about loosing value...

Look at this thread for reference of what 90% of Porsche owners look at as far as resale value, especially when it comes to modified bodywork... I myself look at things with a bit of perspective, however not everyone does...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1-rs-help.html