996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine Oil Overfill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 PM
DubSport is infamous around these parts
OK I am back.
Car seems OK.

As of first thing this morning, they had already drained car PROPERLY, filled again properly with good new oil, detailed the engine bay, and replaced the air filter with OEM. They wanted my permission to turn on the car, and I was like WOAH WOAH dont fu*king touch it!! I would not let them touch the car without my presence.

My thought process: being that there was oil coming UP the intake tube back into the airbox, that meant there would be oil in the cold air tubes going to turbos. Checked passenger side, it was dry with no signs of oil.

Then I checked the driver side and out poured about a liter of dark oil!!!!!!!!!!!
Had these guys turned on the car, engine woulda been toasted.
I had them clean out the tubes, drain that turbo completely of oil, and reconnect everything.

Then I made sure to check the Y-Pipe to see if any oil had made its way into throttle body, but luckily for me it was bone dry.

Started the car, of course some smoke as there was still droplets of oil remaining in turbo. Let it warm up and check levels, and all was fine. No codes were thrown. Drove it around block and yeah like I expected it was smoking, but that went away after about 2 blocks of driving. I did not get into boost much more than 0.2 bar as I didnt want to risk too much for today...

So now all I am worried about is a fouled MAF - and I talked to the manager and someone from their head office to let them know they will be on the hook for a new one if car is acting up. Of course if there is any real damage beyond this they will need to pony up - they understand. Luckily for me the owners of shop are Porsche club members so if **** hits the fan they might be more likely to put themselves in my shoes.
I was very reasonable with them, they have now changed their policy to not work on Porsches. I won't mention their name yet as they were very accomodating and knew they royally fu*ked up.

I'll keep you guys posted on this situation but for now looks like they dodged an expensive bullet!!!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:08 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
For future reference:

DO NOT TAKE POSSESSION OF THE CAR.

With the owner of the shop there, have it TOWED (flatbed) to a Porsche Mechanic for investigation, estimate and service. The idea is to have proof that the car was given directly to a qualified mechanic for diagnosis and repair, and there was no opportunity for other bad things to happen.

Once you drive away, it becomes much more difficult to establish causality.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
You may consider purchasing some SeaFoam, fill up your car with gas, pour about 8-10 ounces of SeaFoam into the gas tank. I've been using it for years, I use in place of other gas treatments such as Techron.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html

It's not Porsche approved, as I'm sure some here may have a problem with that, however in your case, it may help clean out any oil residue that has entered the combustion chamber.

Last edited by JSBear; 06-10-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 PM
turbomusclz is infamous around these parts
Hey DubSport,

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Looks like you got off easier than I did but it was definately a learning experience.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:40 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Very strong points for DIY oil changes. I overfilled my car once, immediately checked the level and drained the turbo reservoirs a couple of time till I got it right. Now I feel good running the car a bar or two beyond full.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:18 PM
...Saga continues....

I rechecked everything today and all looked good so went for a whip around the block. As soon as I got on the accelerator to spool up the turbos - WHOOSH! POP!
driver side upper boost hose popped off, (intercooler coupling).

Why?

Because when said clowns at this shop were trying to get my airbox out, they were reefing on that boost tube to move it out of the way, and it broke the plastic top inlet of the intercooler. Now theres no way that boost tube will snap-in to the C-Clamp ring the way it should. Damn! This will require a whole new intercooler!

So... I talked to the assistant manager who mentioned something about their claims department, and I have to talk to his manager on Monday.

I have an Appointment with Porsche in a couple weeks to get it looked through, and fixed properly. As much as I know I could fix this all myself on a budget, I am sick of dealing with it, I already had to use a vacation day yesterday to deal with these guys...

Old 06-11-2011, 04:29 PM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Wow, what a bunch of incompetent arseholes. I feel bad for you and I really hope you get this all sorted out.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:54 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear ..

Good news is that you can pickup a set of stock intercoolers real cheap, I'm sure many have a set laying around, including myself.

Originally Posted by DubSport
...Saga continues....

I rechecked everything today and all looked good so went for a whip around the block. As soon as I got on the accelerator to spool up the turbos - WHOOSH! POP!

Why?

Because when said clowns at this shop were trying to get my airbox out, they were reefing on that boost tube to move it out of the way, and it broke the plastic top inlet of the intercooler. Now theres no way that boost tube will snap-in to the C-Clamp ring the way it should. Damn! This will require a whole new intercooler!

So... I talked to the assistant manager who mentioned something about their claims department, and I have to talk to his manager on Monday.

I have an Appointment with Porsche in a couple weeks to get it looked through, and fixed properly. As much as I know I could fix this all myself on a budget, I am sick of dealing with it, I already had to use a vacation day yesterday to deal with these guys...

Old 06-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DubSport
...Saga continues....

Why?

Tell the assistant manager something about your talking to your attorney. This is getting out of hand.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
I have a set of stock intercoolers that were removed with less than 25k on the car. PM me if interested.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
So where does everyone keep there oil level gauge at after a oci?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 PM
gt1547 is infamous around these parts
I took my 2008 997 turbo in for an oil change last thursday. The shop drained the tank but not the crankcase then added 8.5 quarts of oil. I literally drove it across the parking lot to the bank. As i walked in the bank the shop manager called and told me my car was smoking as i pulled out and to bring it back. It was smoking bad on the 200 yard idle back to the shop. They drained out 10.5 quarts and put back in 8 quarts. called porsche dealership and was told that engine was probably a goner but i might be lucky so it wouldn't hurt to let it idle for a few minutes to see if it would clean up. After a few minutes there seemed to be less smoke so I thought I would drive around the block to see if it would clean up. As i was leaving the parking lot tons of smoke and bad noises. Car was flatbedded to dealership. The initial diagnosis was engine gone metal in the oil $32,000 to repair. Shop and their insurance are working with the porsche dealership right now to get the final diagnosis and repair estimate. It appears that the shop and their insurance company are going to cover this but it has been a very tense week for myself and the shop
manager. lesson learned on both sides this shop will no longer work on porsches and the dealership will do all the service work on all 3 of my porsches from now on.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 PM
WOW sorry to hear that man!!!
The shop I took to has already responded to me in writing that they are taking care of all damages related to the overfill. My car goes in to Porsche on Wednesday of next week.

Good luck with your situation!!

I have a feeling that my turbo has blown a seal as it was immersed in oil after the incident. This could be a very costly repair...

UPDATE: Car was thoroughly inspected by Porsche and the car is perfectly fine. My saving grace was that I did not actually drive the car after the overfill occurred.

Last edited by DubSport; 07-08-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 AM
gt1547 is infamous around these parts
yeah it sucks, but it is what it is and hopefully everything will go smoothly. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:35 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
If you happen to overfill (1 tick above full on the gage reading), simply drain the crank case which is about 1 qt., this will drop about 3 ticks on the gage reading and will put you 1 tick above the mid level (unless you way over filled whereby you can do it again to avoid having to drain the tank).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Overfill