996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine Oil Overfill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 PM
DubSport is infamous around these parts
Engine Oil Overfill

So I took my 996 turbo to a shop today for an oil change.
They drained the oil (well they thought so), and then replaced filter, and added 8.7 liters of oil.

Then I start car, check oil level on dash, and it reads 1 tick higher than max. I tell them "Its got too much oil".

Then we take a look at the airbox and it has oil coming into it! Thats right, oil coming from engine, up the cold air tube and back into the airbox. Air filter is fubarred now, probably MAF too.

I found out that they only drained the oil from the crankcase, not from the oil tank.

SOOO they completely overfilled my car... BIG TIME...

They were nice enough to drive me home and my car is there for the night while we wait for new air filter from Porsche.

But. What should I do now to ensure there is not more damage done?

I could take off the tubes that go to the turbos and clean them.
Should I remove intercoolers and clean them out too??? I think its pretty normal for intercoolers to be full of oil though maybe I would be wasting my time.

surprisingly the car started fine and only blew a bit of smoke.

HELLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Where did you take it for an oil change ?

Yikes, I would get the oil level right, clean up as much of the oil as possible, clean the MAF with electronic parts cleaner (I picked up a spray can at Home Depot) then have it checked out by a qualified tech on their dime.

Last edited by JSBear; 06-09-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 PM
TweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to behold
Wow, that is pretty amateur mistake for a shop. Alot of porsches are setup this way with 2 drain plugs. Hopefully they will cover all the costs for the clean up/repair.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 AM
So far they seem good in that they will pay for the air filter, I already have MAF cleaner, and they were going to clean up the engine bay.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 AM
turbomusclz is infamous around these parts
I had the same thing happen to me when I took my car to a friend that owned a oil change shop. They didnt realized there were more than one drain plug. It was over filled by at least 6 quarts. It smoked like a smoke machine for 2 days. I had to replace all of the O2 sensors, MAF, oil filter etc. In the end it cost about $4200 to get it straightened out. Big lesson learned. From now on I only take it to dealership.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by turbomusclz
I had the same thing happen to me when I took my car to a friend that owned a oil change shop. They didnt realized there were more than one drain plug. It was over filled by at least 6 quarts. It smoked like a smoke machine for 2 days. I had to replace all of the O2 sensors, MAF, oil filter etc. In the end it cost about $4200 to get it straightened out. Big lesson learned. From now on I only take it to dealership.
Thanks for the reply.
Did you have to pay for all that or did the shop pay?

Old 06-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Well since it was a friend and he was doing me a favor, I covered the cost. Although I do get free oil changes on all of my vehicles now. At some point it will even out. LOL

Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
LOL. Heading to the shop now, fingers crossed!!!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Check the turbos if you see some oil coming out of the seals ...

Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 AM
03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future
I looked at a car last year that has a brand new ($32K) motor as it was taken to Tire Kingdom for an oil change and was overfilled like yours. I hope that doesnt become your fate.

The guy's sales line on why I should buy his with a factory/dealer warranty was, admittedly, "since I am selling it I tried to take the cheap way out, but at least you'll benefit as it has a new motor and a 2 year warranty." I passed on it.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:16 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Diy

If you end up needing to replace this stuff, do it yourself, these things are pretty easy to change. Get the Bosch branded O2 sensors for under $100 each.

Any concern with the plugs getting fouled ?

Originally Posted by turbomusclz

Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 PM
The biggest problem I had and what cost so much money was that they had to tear the whole top end of the motor apart because the oil had gotten into everything. It was a complete mess.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DubSport
So I took my 996 turbo to a shop today for an oil change.
They drained the oil (well they thought so), and then replaced filter, and added 8.7 liters of oil.

Then I start car, check oil level on dash, and it reads 1 tick higher than max. I tell them "Its got too much oil".

Then we take a look at the airbox and it has oil coming into it! Thats right, oil coming from engine, up the cold air tube and back into the airbox. Air filter is fubarred now, probably MAF too.

I found out that they only drained the oil from the crankcase, not from the oil tank.

SOOO they completely overfilled my car... BIG TIME...

They were nice enough to drive me home and my car is there for the night while we wait for new air filter from Porsche.

But. What should I do now to ensure there is not more damage done?

I could take off the tubes that go to the turbos and clean them.
Should I remove intercoolers and clean them out too??? I think its pretty normal for intercoolers to be full of oil though maybe I would be wasting my time.

surprisingly the car started fine and only blew a bit of smoke.

HELLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where did you take it. Pep Boys. All the damage is their fault. Make them replace and clean everything if you trust them not to F it up worse. They should also send it out to have the engine detailed. Intercoolers are air to air. Shouldn't be oil in them but maybe on the outside of them.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Wow, total amature mistake by the mechanic! He obviously wasn't a Porsche certified mechanic. Hopefully this shop owns up to their mistake without a fight because this could be expensive. There is plenty more than just the air filter that is now oil fouled. Hopefully this didn't cause any big damage but sounds like you were smart enough to check the oil right away and didn't run the car very long.

Last edited by Nor Cal Turbo; 06-10-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-10-2011, 04:20 PM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Intercoolers are air to air. Shouldn't be oil in them but maybe on the outside of them.
Unless you run a catch-can, there is often plenty of oil inside of the intercoolers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Overfill