996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Alignment today, but why to toe out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Philippe,

I use about 1.5-2 mm total toe out in front. I think that is the GT2 spec, but I am not sure.

Sway bars can be adjusted as heavychevy said - softer in the front and/or stiffer in the rear (in that order) to reduce understeer.

Jon
Correct.... 1/16th toe out and soften up the front swaybar works well. You have to remember that all of these settings are interactive! For example, there's no use in running -3.0 degrees camber in front, without adjusting toe to suit that setting. Like wise ride height and swaybar settings.

For street Cars, you are limited by the range of adjustability of the stock components. I always recommend getting your front camber to it's max (-1.5 -2.0 is about all you can get) and then set the rear camber to suit... If you can get -2.0 in front, then go with about -1.5 rear.. keep the front with more camber, because you need to change the proportional balance characteristic of the Car.. combine that with the front swaybar being on it's softest setting and the rear being on its second hardest setting and getting your ride height set properly. If you can get the Car corner balanced, even better... that way you can try to throw more weight towards the front.

Cheers...

Old 09-07-2011, 02:14 AM
philippe is infamous around these parts
toe

Originally Posted by 80shilling
Correct.... 1/16th toe out and soften up the front swaybar works well. You have to remember that all of these settings are interactive! For example, there's no use in running -3.0 degrees camber in front, without adjusting toe to suit that setting. Like wise ride height and swaybar settings.

For street Cars, you are limited by the range of adjustability of the stock components. I always recommend getting your front camber to it's max (-1.5 -2.0 is about all you can get) and then set the rear camber to suit... If you can get -2.0 in front, then go with about -1.5 rear.. keep the front with more camber, because you need to change the proportional balance characteristic of the Car.. combine that with the front swaybar being on it's softest setting and the rear being on its second hardest setting and getting your ride height set properly. If you can get the Car corner balanced, even better... that way you can try to throw more weight towards the front.

Cheers...
hi,

very good information ! thanks a lot. this is indeed different from factory setting for the camber value front !(and also TOE out instead of TOE in !).
i have nothing good in my current setting so need to modify TOE in , softer sway bar for front a lot, i am surprised by the camber (2 degres) on front for a street use ! i did already more than factory (1.3 degre, instead of 1 ) bu t must admit still have understeering.
i will get some equipment in order to get the corner weight.
Ride Height , as per your experience do you have a setting value or shall i stick to factory value as starting point ? I guess a slightly higher rear shall put more weight balanced on the front ?

thanks again for your help.
cheers

Old 08-08-2023, 04:41 AM
pfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the roughpfbz is a jewel in the rough
A necro-bump for one of the better threads I've seen discussing alignment, particularly toe in/out on the TT platform...