996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Alignment today, but why to toe out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:40 AM
boyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really nice
Question Alignment today, but why to toe out?

I doubt on the "original" alignment machine data and the adjustment a lot, what makes the rear have to toe out? Please kindly advise, thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
It is for high speed stability from what I have heard.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I'm no expert but that doesn't look right to me. My shop caters to track guys and they set my rear toe at 0 degrees 12 minutes toe in, and front at 0 degrees 3 minutes toe in. Some guys prefer a small amount of toe out at the front to aid turn in at the track, but it makes the car tend to be darty or skittish on the street. Toe out in the rear of a 911 type car is a no-no, makes the car unstable.

Last edited by landjet; 06-15-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM
boyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really nice
Angry

Originally Posted by landjet
I'm no expert but that doesn't look right to me. My shop caters to track guys and they set my rear toe at 0 degrees 12 minutes toe in, and front at 0 degrees 3 minutes toe in. Some guys prefer a small amount of toe out at the front to aid turn in at the track, but it makes the car tend to be darty or skittish on the street. Toe out in the rear of a 911 type car is a no-no, makes the car unstable.
Exactly, no reason to have toe out in the rear, wondering how come their "data" shows toe out should be set...

Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I'm no expert; but heard from someone that these cars should be toe out front and toe in rear.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
The top of the document is cut off but it appears that the upper values are for the front axle since the lower is titled "rear".

Since the toe readings are in mm but the "set back" is in degrees, it looks to me like they set -0 deg 15 min in the front and +0 deg 10 min in the rear.

That sound correct. But again, I'm assuming the upper part is the front settings.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Centauro97
The top of the document is cut off but it appears that the upper values are for the front axle since the lower is titled "rear".

Since the toe readings are in mm but the "set back" is in degrees, it looks to me like they set -0 deg 15 min in the front and +0 deg 10 min in the rear.

That sound correct. But again, I'm assuming the upper part is the front settings.
Yes, the upper part is the front setting and lower part is the rear.

What you mean is + 2.17 and + 3.26 mm toe is correct in the rear?

Besides, the front tow is in + but not in -, the right table is the final result of the adjustment.

Last edited by boyg; 06-15-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
If the readings are in mm, then perhaps Centauro97 may be correct, but I have no experience with the mm readings. All I know is toe out at the rear is bad.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Depending on your intended use for the Car, your toe values should be :

For aggressive, fast drivers for trackdays, you want:

Rear toe IN of about 1/16th to 1/8th (I am doing this in inches) this helps under hard braking, because the rear wheels tend to spread .. If you have toe IN at the rear, when the rears spread, it pulls them straight.

Front toe OUT of 1/16th.. Toe OUT helps the front end turn the Car quicker. It makes it a bit less stable in a straight line, but at the track getting the front end to turn quickly is important vs a little lack of straight line stability.

For general street driving, less aggressive will work:

Leave the rear at 1/16th toe IN

At the front, you might want to go zero toe, or slight toe IN to help the Car stay composed in a straight line; you will need to do less work at the steering wheel with these settings and the Car will do less tramlining and not react to bumps.

Here's my settings from a few trackdays ago: It shows rear toe IN of 1/16th and front toe OUT of 1/16th.. I have recently gone to 1/8th toe OUT at the front.

Bear in mind that these settings interact with your camber and caster figures: Less camber means the effects are slightly less than with more camber.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:38 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Good info!

Originally Posted by 80shilling

Rear toe IN of about 1/16th to 1/8th (I am doing this in inches) this helps under hard braking, because the rear wheels tend to spread .. If you have toe IN at the rear, when the rears spread, it pulls them straight.

Front toe OUT of 1/16th.. Toe OUT helps the front end turn the Car quicker. It makes it a bit less stable in a straight line, but at the track getting the front end to turn quickly is important vs a little lack of straight line stability.

At the front, you might want to go zero toe, or slight toe IN to help the Car stay composed in a straight line; you will need to do less work at the steering wheel with these settings and the Car will do less tramlining and not react to bumps.

Here's my settings from a few trackdays ago: It shows rear toe IN of 1/16th and front toe OUT of 1/16th.. I have recently gone to 1/8th toe OUT at the front.

Bear in mind that these settings interact with your camber and caster figures: Less camber means the effects are slightly less than with more camber.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:49 PM
_gez_ is infamous around these parts
You need to read this thread. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...light=rear+toe

As you lower the car and negative camber increases so does toe out. It's due to the configuration of the suspension components.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Good info,thanks 80 shilling

Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 80shilling

Excellent information, thanks

Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by _gez_
You need to read this thread. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...light=rear+toe

As you lower the car and negative camber increases so does toe out. It's due to the configuration of the suspension components.
Yes, the car has been lower, too much camber is showing in my alignment too. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 AM
H8T WP is infamous around these parts
can i use the gt2 settings on my TT ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alignment today, but why to toe out?