996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coolant Pipe Failure. Add me to the list.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:17 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Coolant Pipe Failure. Add me to the list.

Been reading and hearing about this and it HAPPENED.

I was planning on a great day at the Streets of Willow with the POC, made about 3-4 laps in the first session and then got the "meatball" flag. A driver who is a tech at P dealership confirmed the ugly situation

Luckily no spins, going off track, etc. by other drivers or myself.

So my question is what should be done other than the coolant pipe issue with almost 50K on the odometer?
Upgraded clutch (no slipping yet, but the ECU is flashed by EPL with standard K16s) by SACHS, Clutch Masters, etc?
IPD plenum?
???

Thank you for your input

Old 06-19-2011, 10:02 PM
bond is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 996TWINS

I was planning on a great day at the Streets of Willow with the POC, made about 3-4 laps in the first session and then got the "meatball" flag. A driver who is a tech at P dealership confirmed the ugly situation

So my question is what should be done other than the coolant pipe issue with almost 50K on the odometer?
Upgraded clutch (no slipping yet, but the ECU is flashed by EPL with standard K16s) by SACHS, Clutch Masters, etc?
IPD plenum?
???

Thank you for your input
Just finished mine up (63K miles 01 tt), which one came out? (behind alternator or oil cooler fitting?)

Last edited by bond; 06-19-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear it. I wouldnt do a clutch till she slips usually but since your in there The factory GT-2 disc plus the sachs sport pressure plate feels great and like stock. Good up to 700hp. The other stuff you can do at he same time to benefit while down would be:
Diverters
Turbo inlet piping
Fuel maybe?

Good luck. Let me know if I can help i'm in SoCal

Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bond
Just finished mine up (63K miles 01 tt), which one came out? (behind alternator or oil cooler fitting?)
Not sure where the oil cooler fitting is, but the leak is in front of the right rear engine mount.

Originally Posted by SamboTT
Sorry to hear it. I wouldnt do a clutch till she slips usually but since your in there The factory GT-2 disc plus the sachs sport pressure plate feels great and like stock. Good up to 700hp. The other stuff you can do at he same time to benefit while down would be:
Diverters
Turbo inlet piping
Fuel maybe?

Good luck. Let me know if I can help i'm in SoCal
The 700HP clutch (4 or 6 puck?) might be a bit too much pressure for the clutch slave cylinder and pressure accumulator to overcome for longevity. Maybe something else?

Upgraded DVs are currently installed.
Turbo inlet piping by whom would you recommend?
Fuel? Not sure if you mean FPR, injectors or?
Upgraded boost hoses possibly are on the list.

I am on the otherside of the SFV in Chatsworth, neighbor

Old 06-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Do I recall correctly that there's no practical way to prevent this unless you're dropping the engine for some other repair? How frequently does this really happen? Usually only on the track?

Old 06-20-2011, 03:35 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
The two rubber hoses on the negine bay can be swapped any time...just drop some coolant and swap them. It's tight but doadble.

But considering what a PITA is bleeding the coolant system...I would not touch them unless you are doing something else or they look bad.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Do I recall correctly that there's no practical way to prevent this unless you're dropping the engine for some other repair? How frequently does this really happen? Usually only on the track?
Got to drop the engine.
Heard about this about 5+ times here and other forums.
It can happen anywhere. The glue weakens or dries out not keeping a good seal then POP!

Originally Posted by emadelta86
The two rubber hoses on the negine bay can be swapped any time...just drop some coolant and swap them. It's tight but doadble.

But considering what a PITA is bleeding the coolant system...I would not touch them unless you are doing something else or they look bad.
Going to change out the hoses too.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 PM
coastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant future
Uggg!!! Sorry to hear that this happened. As one who had this happen a few months ago, I feel your pain. I had my water pump replaced as recommended by the shop I brought out to. Though it added $400 to the bill, they felt it was cheap insurance since just dropping the engine costs $1k.

Andy

Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM
coastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant futurecoastalb55 has a brilliant future
BTW, what kind of quotes for repair have you gotten?

Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Andy, completely bummed (as anyone else that this has happened to) over a failure over something so under engineered for almost an over engineered car.
No quotes yet, just need to get all the goodies together before I get a quote from my local shops.
Can the water pump be changed with the engine installed?
Looking to replace most the PITA items that can be easily done with the engine out.
Can I ask what your bill was for this as a guideline?
Thank you
Eric

Old 06-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Remove the piece and have the fittings welded, then pressure tested. It's all labor - no need to buy any parts for the repair. I would change all the coolant hoses while you are doing this, like you mentioned...

This is a great time to do turbo inlet pipes/plenum, if you are ever going to do it...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
This is a great time to do turbo inlet pipes/plenum, if you are ever going to do it...
I will most likely do the plenum, but on the fence about the inlet pipes. Each one is about $800-$1000, stuff is starting to add up fast

Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
The pipes are the worst of the two. I'll PM you a cost effective option.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
996TT plenum/pipes

Hi,

You can buy the hard pipe kit and modify the OEM plenum to accept the hard pipes for $849.95 - I just need your OEM plenum for a few days to re-work it and return it to you with the pipes.

Let me know if you are interested...

Regards,

John

2022 Cayenne White
Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Mendy404 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 996TWINS

IPD plenum?
???

Thank you for your input
Is the alloy pipe from the front of the car swells?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coolant Pipe Failure. Add me to the list.