996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How not to transport your car on a trailer..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:29 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
That should buff right out!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:14 AM
AlexZ is infamous around these parts
ohh thats scary

Old 07-18-2011, 06:11 AM
AAG
AAG is infamous around these parts

Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 PM
aircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura about
Oh my!!!!

That's painful... My Audi Diesel pulls like a champ!

Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Can some one care to explain what went wrong and how a bigger tow vehicle could have avoided that ?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
A bigger tow vehicle isn't going to help an incorrectly loaded trailer or driver error, but rather help mask inexperience towing a load. Had a buddy who spun his F250 superduty on the interstate after he picked up his trailer from the shop who replaced an axle that was causing a sway, so the big trucks aren't immune to it either.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:29 AM
aircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
A bigger tow vehicle isn't going to help an incorrectly loaded trailer or driver error, but rather help mask inexperience towing a load. Had a buddy who spun his F250 superduty on the interstate after he picked up his trailer from the shop who replaced an axle that was causing a sway, so the big trucks aren't immune to it either.
Agree... Of course this is a hypothesis but it looks like that trailer in the video is much more than that vehicle can handle. I am no expert but my time in the military always emphasized when towing a critical necessity to center balance the load and distribute the weight equally across each axle on the trailer. It appears this load was distributed unequally, not to mention the high center of gravity. This driver noticed the problem did not correct properly like another member posted. Once it starts to sway you can only gain control by speeding up to straighten the load.... You don't need training to tow unfortunately.. Just money to purchase the trailer. Kind of like boating From my experience you can get a good feel for how a load will ride within the first 2 or 3 miles. Way before you get on the interstate at 70 plus MPH.....

Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aircavscout
Agree... Of course this is a hypothesis but it looks like that trailer in the video is much more than that vehicle can handle. I am no expert but my time in the military always emphasized when towing a critical necessity to center balance the load and distribute the weight equally across each axle on the trailer. It appears this load was distributed unequally, not to mention the high center of gravity. This driver noticed the problem did not correct properly like another member posted. Once it starts to sway you can only gain control by speeding up to straighten the load.... You don't need training to tow unfortunately.. Just money to purchase the trailer. Kind of like boating From my experience you can get a good feel for how a load will ride within the first 2 or 3 miles. Way before you get on the interstate at 70 plus MPH.....
More than likely the car was loaded too far rearward, removing the critical tongue weight needed, which will cause a classic sway like that. Could have been loaded wrong, or the straps could have started to come loose a bit causing the car to go rearward a little. Who knows. Very important when towing to check your straps every time you stop for fuel/food/etc.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:53 AM
steven1 is infamous around these partssteven1 is infamous around these parts
ouch

Old 07-20-2011, 03:05 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Trailer

Holy sheeetola,
I had something similar happen to me trailering my TT down to a track event. Fortunately, I kept the vehicle under control and the trailer went bye bye the next day.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:56 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Guy just doesn't know how to drive with a trailer. You can also compensate lack of knowledge with a huge truck.

When you sense oscillation (usually due to too much weight rear, and too high speed) you can do 2 things:
- If you have a strong engine: Accelerate (floor it) to straigthen the trailer up (stops oscillation) then brake gently but adequately to slow down to a safe speed

- Brake in segments at the "sweetspot" when the trailer is exactly centered, until the oscillation stops.

This dude brakes continuously which just increases the oscillation.

That stuff is why a lot of countries requre a certain license level / training to be permitted to tow trailers of a certain weight.

Or if you don't know the basics of towing a trailer, just buy a big-a** truck.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 AM
alex37211 is infamous around these parts
sweet bmw drifting! lol

Old 07-22-2011, 04:02 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 80shilling
I always wonder why people insist on towing their prized possessions (be they Cars or Horses or Boats) using a clearly inadequate tow vehicle.... Spend the money and buy a PROPER tow vehicle like a Dually or similar... You can buy them used for $5k - $8K in great working order.... Seems like money well spent to avoid exactly this kind of issue.

I know someone who had a 4 horse trailer (with 4 horses worth over $200k in it) who had the same thing happen to them.. they were using a Volvo X-Country as a tow vehicle... All the horses either died on the spot or had to be euthanized.... Madness!!!!!

Really, 5-8k for a dually? Please post a link, I would greatly appreciate it, I'm looking for a truck.

Also, I've had my tow vehicle blow a tire which sent my trailer into a tank slapper while headed back from the drag strip. Tank slappers aren't solved with brakes on the track or towing a vehicle on the highway, get the car straightened first, then brake. I do agree that some gas can help because trailers inherently follow the lead of the tow vehicle, if the tow vehicle accelerates, the trailer will follow.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:16 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
wow that must hurt to see your car go over like that. That guy must be kicking him self right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How not to transport your car on a trailer..