996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How not to transport your car on a trailer..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
The key is the load being on the trailer in "tandem"; the trailer should not cause the back end of the truck to squat, or nose up. This has to be adjusted during the loading of the car. This is the main reason what causes trailer sway & the brake controller has to be set perfectly as well.

The load has to sit perfectly in the middle of the trailer w/the trailer attached to the truck or whatever you are using to pull the trailer; this can be adjusted by moving your load back/forth. If the load is center properly like it should be; the tow vehicle won't even be fazed (sp) by the additional towing load.

Last edited by k-ore; 07-23-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aircavscout
That's painful... My Audi Diesel pulls like a champ!
The back of your suv should not be squatting down that far in the rear; the load is not sitting tandem. Looks like a spell for disaster.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:29 AM
alex37211 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vntperformance
The key is the load being on the trailer in "tandem"; the trailer should not cause the back end of the truck to squat, or nose up. This has to be adjusted during the loading of the car. This is the main reason what causes trailer sway & the brake controller has to be set perfectly as well.

The load has to sit perfectly in the middle of the trailer w/the trailer attached to the truck or whatever you are using to pull the trailer; this can be adjusted by moving your load back/forth.
I learned something valuable today. Thank you!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
what language is that...what does it mean "Kourva Kourva"??

Old 07-24-2011, 01:32 AM
shredder has a spectacular aura aboutshredder has a spectacular aura about
+1 on the weight being too far back. If you have a trailer that sways at all, move your load towards the tongue and that should correct it.
That oscillating usually only happens at higher speeds, I dont see how 'speeding' up would correct it.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by shredder
+1 on the weight being too far back. If you have a trailer that sways at all, move your load towards the tongue and that should correct it.
That oscillating usually only happens at higher speeds, I dont see how 'speeding' up would correct it.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:04 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shredder

Because it's no different than straightening an oscillating car. Hitting the brakes while trying to correct does not work, that will always end bad if you're just in a car, or towing a trailer.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:47 PM
shredder has a spectacular aura aboutshredder has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Because it's no different than straightening an oscillating car. Hitting the brakes while trying to correct does not work, that will always end bad if you're just in a car, or towing a trailer.
Well, I have never been in an 'oscillating' car, but i do have 3 trailers between 7500 and 10000 GVW, swaying gets worse the faster you go. Often, if my load is too far back , I dont know it until i hit 60 or 65 mph (only allowed to tow at 55 mph here in CA).
Last winter I was hauling a snowcat and my trailer started swaying as soon as i hit 60 mph (not as bad as in the video, but enough to be a concern). I slowed down, the swaying stopped, then I moved the cat 1 ft forward on the trailer and the swaying went away at high speeds. The last thing i would do if my trailer were swaying is slam on the accelerator and speed up another 20 mph. Any 'decent' driver would notice his trailer swaying at low speeds and correct the problem long before going faster and the swaying spun your tow vehicle out of control.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
You drive that Turbo hard enough and the back of it will oscillate plenty.

Swaying when you are just cruising along and trying to save an out of control trailer are two different things. Obviously the ultimate goal is to slow down in either case, but if the trailer is already wildly swaying back and forth, you have to control it first, and then slow it down. No one is saying to floor it and stay floored for the rest of the trip, but to gain control the trailer will follow the pull, but hitting the brakes will only make it come around on you just like this video demonstrates and just like happens in a car.

I prefer to maintain throttle, or maybe a slight lift, but under no circumstances would I hit the brakes with a wildly swaying trailer. It's just not smart.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:52 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
sucks for him....

Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM
SupraNICK01 is infamous around these parts
Holy ****. That would be miserable.