996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ok to jumpstart car w/ cables directly to battery? Did the hook up to red thing in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 PM
drhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to behold
Ok to jumpstart car w/ cables directly to battery? Did the hook up to red thing in

fusebox but only the front hatch will open, not the back...Why is that? I assume I can hook the jumper cables right tho the battery right? ...***..U..ME...

Old 06-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
Well I'll speak from some experience since my battery dies on a somewhat recurrent basis.

Seems the Porsche ideal is hook up to the fusebox terminal in order to open the rear lid then use the larger positive terminal to jump start. Is this because the battery is "hidden" and folks can't find it? Or too many back injuries bending over to get to the battery? Or is the rear terminal that much closer to the starter making a difference? Or is the proximity of the gas tank to the battery just too much risk?

Since I CAN find the battery I jumped directly off it because (1) I could access the battery, (2) I could figure out which was the positive and negative terminals and (3) my gas tank is well sealed.

Amazon sells a little auto-charging jump starter battery for $29 with free shipping that actually works. Battery so flat that only the dash lit up. Just a click when I turned the key. The little gizmo charged it enough to cold start (in 70 degree temps) in about 10 minutes. Just search Wagan to find it.

It fits just right in the passenger door pocket.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:32 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
I would be very careful and afterwards get a battery tender and keep the car hooked up to it. I say this because I had a voltage spike while fooling with my battery and ended up frying the ecu. Major pain in the___. I had charged the battery many times before but got the terminals backwards for a brief moment but that was all it took. Use caution!