996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

cheap durametric?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 AM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
cheap durametric?

PPS: How dare any of you own a Durametric or similar device? HOW DARE YOU!!!!!

Don't you know you are taking jobs away from American mechanics?

Amazing how that line of thinking works with money when its your own, don't you think?
Where does it end? It doesn't, its human nature. But its funny as hell to laugh at ourselves.

Jim

Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 AM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
In China stealing another idea isn't thought of as illegal. Ideas exist and they should be used for the betterment of all. Not saying its right or wrong. Its just what they think. And they think they were a cultural while we were scratching in the dirt with sticks so who are we to preach. Again, I can't say who's right or wrong. I'm just telling you how they think.

And I'm not against Durametric, I could care less what happens to them or not. I'm just telling you what will happen because its already too late for them. Doesn't matter to me, I take my car to a mechanic. So I'm doing my part for the American Way.

I own a lot of factories, employ a lot of workers and engineers in China and here. All the way from functional idiots that pick up paper to Ph.D's. I have seen it all. The world is not changing. Its not changing at all. Its just moving faster because of communication and travel that takes less and less time.

We followed England. Japan followed us. Korea followed Japan. China is following everyone. India will come next and then it will most likely jump the mideast and Africa because there are only raw materials there and no societal push to become industrial. If anything its going the other way. We will crater and start back up again. Its the way it works.

Doesn't help Durametric though. They have decided they are back of the snap on truck pricing. I can guess why. They will run that for all its worth and probably come out with a new low cost version very soon. If not, they will be like a Palm Pilot, cool and obsolete.

Jim

Old 06-24-2011, 08:03 AM
People shouldn't fear China so much. Most of you should be able to remember the 80's when Japan was going to buy the world. They didn't.

China has a lot of its own problems too. The money is not real. You might think its undervalued. Its not. Its inflated like ours. They are going to have a problem sooner or later. They will stall like Japan.

When we were the hot sh** we didn't own England or France or Germany. We will definitely bottom out in the not too distant future too. But the baby boomers will eventually die and remove the Medicare burden. If we can regain control of the education system, we will be stars again because its how we think.

Ask yourselves why Durametric has the price strategy they do and why there is a unit that supports only 3 VINs. Its extremely easy to figure out. Its all about the snap-on truck and how those people sell to (or enslave) mechanics.

Jim

Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 AM
ur an idiot

You guys crack me up. I mean really. Read that to yourself there big guy. First, what does it mean to me if you give me negative feedback? Do I get paid for feedback? Does it count if you call me an idiot using grammatical nonsense?

And if you do this, at least leave your name behind. Insult me in secret using non-English and this does what?

Name calling is always the first indication of a person with no argument. Doing it anonymously is cowardly.

But thanks for playing.

Jim

Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Bottom line: the software is copyrighted... intellectual property... who care if Chinese culture is thousands of years older then ours... BTW, I was born abroad... I know culture.. and where I came from stealing intellectual property is illegal too...
The regime change in Poland took place in 1989. I remember that it took a few long years, if not a decade, after that before any copyright laws were enacted and I've been here since 1994. Being in the music business I'm sure you're aware of this.

http://www1.american.edu/initeb/rw9257a/property.htm

Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 AM
RS38 has a spectacular aura aboutRS38 has a spectacular aura about
these 30$ cables work for some older 996/986 in only a few aspects. You get what you pay for (an old and very early durametric clone that can do only a fraction of the real one).

attention: If you try the china cable with lastest software from dura web site, the software will make your cable useless.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 AM
I also am from Chicago. There are no angels talking about this subject. If we leave out some people's past history and just talk about today, how far can you go on something like, oh, I don't know, a website for instance, and plagiarize stuff and then turn around and talk about this subject?

I happen to agree with Mr. Markski to a great extent. Farther than he probably thinks. I also have other ideas about how far you can go with copying something. What came first, Windows, Mac OS or Xerox?

And just how far can you copy something is a cultural issue. In music for instance, they are in all kinds of hazy fog there.

Even very legitimate companies get into trouble today. Apple and Nokia I think just settled a fight. Ultimately, ideas aren't copyrightable. Implementation and methods are to certain extents.

I doubt any of us have done a forensics on code and who's to take anyone else's word on how much is copied or not.

Its sort of immaterial. I used to patent things. I stopped. It wasn't worth it anymore. Almost no daily innovation is worth the fight. If I could make a working example of a warp engine, maybe.

Jim

Old 06-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by RS38
these 30$ cables work for some older 996/986 in only a few aspects. You get what you pay for (an old and very early durametric clone that can do only a fraction of the real one).

attention: If you try the china cable with lastest software from dura web site, the software will make your cable useless.
Everything is a clone of something else. You can't stop it. The best we can do as consumers is to educate people on the advantages and limitation of one product over another. For many people a simple code reader and CEL reset tool is all we need and that is pretty much public domain now. You can find code for that on Google if you know where to look along with a $5 source to make the cable out of your own parts with a OBDII connector they will supply.

Jim

Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Wow this thread has taken an interesting turn. Sounds like there ins't much argument for buying the cheap cable anyway since it would be like buying the 1st generation durametric cable (i.e. not that useful). Love my Durametric cable. Still learning how to use its features, but it is a great tool regardless of the side issues here.

Originally Posted by adam699
One thing on the Durametric thou, I hate how it's locked in to 3 vins. I'm handy and like to help my friends with cars and I don't think I have any vins left bu now ....so I think I'm stuck with my car for good.
Adam, I read on their website somewhere when I was looking at buying a cable that if you use up all 3 vins, they can upgrade you to the professional version (unlimited vins) for the difference in cost between the two. It's just software in the cable that limits you, so I'm guessing they can unlock your cable remotely as well without having to do an exchange.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:55 AM
I believe you can upgrade. What I don't think they will do is erase it and allow you to have new VINs as you buy new cars over time. Not sure about that though since I have used one but never owned it. I'm just going on hearsay about that.

Jim

Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jspporsche
Everything is a clone of something else. You can't stop it. The best we can do as consumers is to educate people on the advantages and limitation of one product over another. For many people a simple code reader and CEL reset tool is all we need and that is pretty much public domain now. You can find code for that on Google if you know where to look along with a $5 source to make the cable out of your own parts with a OBDII connector they will supply.

Jim
You're missing the point, they are not copying, they are stealing. If they wrote their own software then fine, but they are illegally providing durametric software with their cable as their own.

If they wrote their own software to compete that is a different story. Not like durametric has the market cornered, there are at least 2 other solutions I can think of that can do the same things if not more. But they both are well north of $7000!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Just out of curiosity, for those of you that own an authentic Durametric cable, what is the country of manufacture stamped on the cable itself? Does it read "Made in USA"??? It seems that almost everything is "Made in China" these days. Even my Iphone4 is....

Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 AM
I agree, providing someone else's software with your product is wrong. I'm curious why Durametric hasn't stopped it though?

This is a relatively easy thing to do. It takes about a total of 3 months to choke this off and recover nearly all of your lost revenue. I've done it twice.

1. Hire an attorney and file notice with customs. Use the attorney to buy a copy of the product and confirm the inclusion of your product.

2. Customs will work with you to determine the source and known importers of the product and they will inspect EVERY shipment these people ever make to the USA and Canada. They will seize all shipments found. The offenders will be fined 3x the retail value of every piece. This will be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

3. The exporters and importers will now be known as "bad people" and every shipment they get for the rest of eternity will go through long and expensive "intensive exams" at port of entry even if nothing is ever found again.

4. Your lawyer can do a search on the internet and subpoena records to find all the retailers who received the product have it seized and recover your lost revenue.

It takes time. But I enjoy pointing out to people who have done this to me, the sweetest money I ever made is money you made for me.

Jim

Old 06-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by johnselli
Just out of curiosity, for those of you that own an authentic Durametric cable, what is the country of manufacture stamped on the cable itself? Does it read "Made in USA"??? It seems that almost everything is "Made in China" these days. Even my Iphone4 is....
It may not say. Components have to be marked with country of origin on the part or the retail packaging. If its a subassembly, this can be removed and the new assembly can be marked as a whole with a new country of origin. Its murky territory.

Jim

Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jspporsche
I agree, providing someone else's software with your product is wrong. I'm curious why Durametric hasn't stopped it though?

This is a relatively easy thing to do. It takes about a total of 3 months to choke this off and recover nearly all of your lost revenue. I've done it twice.

1. Hire an attorney and file notice with customs. Use the attorney to buy a copy of the product and confirm the inclusion of your product.

2. Customs will work with you to determine the source and known importers of the product and they will inspect EVERY shipment these people ever make to the USA and Canada. They will seize all shipments found. The offenders will be fined 3x the retail value of every piece. This will be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

3. The exporters and importers will now be known as "bad people" and every shipment they get for the rest of eternity will go through long and expensive "intensive exams" at port of entry even if nothing is ever found again.

4. Your lawyer can do a search on the internet and subpoena records to find all the retailers who received the product have it seized and recover your lost revenue.

It takes time. But I enjoy pointing out to people who have done this to me, the sweetest money I ever made is money you made for me.

Jim
The scammers provide a link to download not supply a CD so no go on customs.

I hope they are going after the websites/"businesses" selling them. Heck they even say it is a PWIS which is a Porsche product. It is too easy to hide on the Internet...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: cheap durametric?