996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

cheap durametric?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
Same way durametric is NOT supporting older users by limiting functionality on the older versions? And no upgrade/trade in path either.

Sorry, that ticked me off.

Loyalty is a two way street.
You can also upgrade your cable for $150. These are cables made prior to 2008. Cheaper than Microsoft upgrades! They the old cable still works as long as your car is supported in the older software.

Sounds like they have you covered!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 AM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
Customs can shut down websites. And they should.

I go through a lot of trouble making sure that people that sell me stuff have the right to do so. The worst is trying to verify photos are actually theirs or public domain. I've spent thousands buying photos after the fact. Now I just hire a photographer to take new ones.

They should definitely look into pursuing it. Even to the point of a complaint to the ITC.

I have it easier. When I find a Chinese company copying something, I show up in their office within a week. I bring along a lot of my own employees and search their warehouses and just take stuff.

Being raised in Chicago gave me a frame of mind they aren't used too.

My wife is Chinese and has very extensive industrial and government connections through family. There are never repercussions.

Jim

Old 06-24-2011, 09:28 AM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
If Durametric can show that the copied cables won't work without their copied software, then they can get the hardware seized too.

This is not me talking out my ***. I called my lawyers and asked.

http://www.ssspo.com/

Jim

Old 06-24-2011, 10:32 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I'm a Mac user and do not have a windows computer. Is there any way to make the Durametric work with a Mac or do I need to buy a Windows laptop?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnselli
I'm a Mac user and do not have a windows computer. Is there any way to make the Durametric work with a Mac or do I need to buy a Windows laptop?
I know of people who use it on a Mac with some Windows virtualization software.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:22 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by raineycd
I know of people who use it on a Mac with some Windows virtualization software.
Correct. You can get windows emulation software for macs that will be able to run it.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:56 PM
daytrip00 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jspporsche
Durametric is doomed.

Protection software? How did that work out for games, music or PC software?

NOT SO WELL.

When you stop innovating and start protecting, you are toast. There is a HUGE profit in this for Durametric and they are doomed. The cat is out of the bag and they are as good as toast.
Protected software has worked out just fine. If you look at the three biggest desktop software companies on earth (Microsoft, Apple, Adobe), all of them protect their software. Apple protects its software like durametric (software+hardware) and the other two simply lock the software. There's Tens of billions of dollars in revenue per year saying that those models work just fine.

Admitedly, protected music didn't fly that well, but protected videos seem to be faring better.

Incidentally, I own a small(ish) software company, and we don't copy protect our software. There are all kinds of hacks and cracks available for it from china and nearly any potential customer could find these. It turns out that people are (mostly) decent and will buy something that they use. I'd encourage people to do the same with durametric.

If your point is that software in the long run is a dead business... my business partner might agree with you. We debate this on a pretty much daily basis.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by daytrip00
Protected software has worked out just fine. If you look at the three biggest desktop software companies on earth (Microsoft, Apple, Adobe), all of them protect their software. Apple protects its software like durametric (software+hardware) and the other two simply lock the software. There's Tens of billions of dollars in revenue per year saying that those models work just fine.

Admitedly, protected music didn't fly that well, but protected videos seem to be faring better.

Incidentally, I own a small(ish) software company, and we don't copy protect our software. There are all kinds of hacks and cracks available for it from china and nearly any potential customer could find these. It turns out that people are (mostly) decent and will buy something that they use. I'd encourage people to do the same with durametric.

If your point is that software in the long run is a dead business... my business partner might agree with you. We debate this on a pretty much daily basis.
Nope. My comment was that its almost impossible to protect software from individuals, much less companies that want to copy it.

You can buy almost any software in China for 20 RMB per CD. Movies are available for sale on the streets of China BEFORE the official release date.

Copy protection doesn't work against dishonest people, just honest ones. I lived in China for 2 years and I have hundreds and hundreds of all area DVDs at home. They sold for 6 RMB on virtually every other street corner. There is no other market in China. You simply cannot buy genuine movies in China except in the largest cities. My wife's visa case worker admitted that the embassy was upgraded to Windows Vista by the state department but all their personal computers and repaired machines used pirated s/w because that's all they could get. Imagine that for a moment. The State Department and Homeland Security in China are running pirated software with God only knows how many trojans on it on their personal computers. It would be if it wasn't so sad. There's probably a wikileaks.dll on every disk

Jim

Old 06-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Cueto is infamous around these parts
JohnSelli

I use Kevin's (UMW) High Speed Data-Logger on my macbook pro via Bootcamp. I get about 60-70 readings/samples per second.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cueto
JohnSelli

I use Kevin's (UMW) High Speed Data-Logger on my macbook pro via Bootcamp. I get about 60-70 readings/samples per second.
Pardon my ignorance but is "Bootcamp" some Mac application that allows you to use the Durametric with your Macbook? Is Kevin's high speed Data-Logger some program that can be purchased form Kevin?

Thanks....

Old 06-24-2011, 04:31 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Some info ...

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage...FcrDKgodBC5hNQ

Originally Posted by johnselli
Pardon my ignorance but is "Bootcamp" some Mac application that allows you to use the Durametric with your Macbook? Is Kevin's high speed Data-Logger some program that can be purchased form Kevin?

Thanks....

Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Cool, thanks

Old 06-25-2011, 08:07 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
You can also upgrade your cable for $150. These are cables made prior to 2008. Cheaper than Microsoft upgrades! They the old cable still works as long as your car is supported in the older software.

Sounds like they have you covered!
Last time I checked there was no 'upgrade' to the enthusiast version to the capability of the pro version.

So despite the implied promise (the enthusiast does everything the pro does, but only 3 vins) they have now changed that policy.

Unless that has changed, it has been a few months since I checked.

A

Old 06-25-2011, 09:16 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
You're missing the point, they are not copying, they are stealing. If they wrote their own software then fine, but they are illegally providing durametric software with their cable as their own.
Devil's advocate... is this the same software that durametric gives away for free on their website? It looks like Version 5 cable drivers and software program are readily available for download, free of charge, directly from durametric dot com? Version 6 is free too, but sounds like that's the one that only works with the new cable.

I haven't yet bought a Porsche-specific datalogging solution, but I would buy the genuine article to support further innovation and development (whether that be the UMW solution, or Durametric). Only seems right (but others may differ on that).

Old 06-25-2011, 09:18 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
Last time I checked there was no 'upgrade' to the enthusiast version to the capability of the pro version.

So despite the implied promise (the enthusiast does everything the pro does, but only 3 vins) they have now changed that policy.

Unless that has changed, it has been a few months since I checked.

A
Go to durametric dot com slash reasonupgrade dot aspx - I think it answers all of your questions above.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: cheap durametric?