996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

interest in 997 gt2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 02:49 PM
aj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Since the introduction of the 996 cars with motorsports-derived engines (GT3/GT2/Turbo), we've seen DC bump the performance in the Viper, and in a straight line, the MB AMG machines are brutal. The Ferrari 360 has passed and the folks in Maranello have come up with a flat-out kick-*** replacement. The C5 Z06, which was alot of car for the buck, is being replaced with a 500 hp, 3100lb monster. BMW is producing more power, and their CEO has gone on record saying that he's unsatisfied with where the company is now regarding power output. The Japanese are back- the Skyline GT-R is upcoming, and Toyota will have a Supra replacement and the LF-A.

If Porsche lives too much in the past, the company will go bankrupt. The higher-end 997s will need to be competitive to sell- people only love Porsches when Porsches are superior cars. In fact, once Porsche's competition points out the fact that they do more for motorsports in the here and now than Porsche, the company will look like a relic.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think the 997 GT3/Turbo/GT2 will be amazing cars, and I wouldn't be suprised to see Porsche do more in motorsports in the next couple of years.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:59 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Arm
Are you serious? I was thinking of placing a deposit on one.
That is the early indication. They will use the 3.8 997S motor and tune it to 400hp. The 997 Cup cars will continue to use the 964 derived block made in spain utilizing the GT1 crank as is the case for the current 996 GT3 series...

Things can change, but spy reports indicate the above specs.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Turbo Racer is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by aj996tt

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think the 997 GT3/Turbo/GT2 will be amazing cars, and I wouldn't be suprised to see Porsche do more in motorsports in the next couple of years.
this is one reason why i did post this. in order to stay relevent in the horsepower war, you need more horsepower sure. but also you need more than that to stand out from the rest.

i am just saying that i'd like to see the super 997 in a class of its own.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:28 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by gabf1
i am just saying that i'd like to see the super 997 in a class of its own.
sounds like the 997TT might fit the bill

Old 04-15-2005, 08:36 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I had asked that question before about the 997tt, if they were using a different motor than the standard 997? It would be a shame if they use a motor that can't be tuned like the 996tt. Time will tell I guess, but I do agree that Porsche needs to keep up with the other MFG's out there.

They use to be the leaders and now they seem to be behind a bit. Other than the Carrera GT which is out of my price range. Hope they return to more racing, like LeMans soon!

Old 04-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by buddyg
IHope they return to more racing, like LeMans soon!

They are in Le Mans in GT class with the GT3 RSR's. You are probably thinking about the prototype P1 class. The CGT uses the motor that was intended for a P1 car, but the project was aborted. I too hope they get a prototype car back out there to race in Le Mans and ALMS...

Old 04-15-2005, 02:50 PM
werksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by buddyg
Hope they return to more racing, like LeMans soon!

[/B]

..There was just a little blurb in Autoweek, about the factory getting a P2 racecar ready. People wondering why Porsche would choose the P2 class, instead of the P1. Speculation is that since they've been out of top-tier racing, they'd ease back into it with a P2 effort, before moving up to the P1 category.

Whatever! Just race something else besides a 911, unless it's a factory 911 Twin Turbo!