996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

interest in 997 gt2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Turbo Racer is infamous around these parts
interest in 997 gt2?

was thinking about the 996 gt2 and how they outfitted the car for the market and was wondering what people would say should be standard for a us 997 gt2.

i have seen the cs which seems to match up well with the gt3 but wondered why porsche does not do more to separate the gt2 from the turbo. i think to keep the gt3 affordable, they probably would have to keep options to a minimum. but for the gt2, if its released what would you say?

i like the idea of having:

cf dash exclusively

cf hood and roof

cf door panels and a unique variation on the instrument cluster

all standard

option would be psm (for those of us that need to grow our *****).

Old 04-13-2005, 10:42 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
GT2s are NOT for everyone...Dangerous car in the wrong hands...
TTs are better for the majority of people - more forgiving and PSM is an ***-saver

Old 04-13-2005, 11:35 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
agree with Geoff. no doubt the car will sale but making it more desirable is what make the owners feel different. if Ferrari can it Porsche sure can. bottomline is it's a 200k car.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:29 PM
jwa
jwa is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by msindi
GT2s are NOT for everyone...Dangerous car in the wrong hands...
TTs are better for the majority of people - more forgiving and PSM is an ***-saver
also people forget about the difference from rw drive to 4w drive

Old 04-13-2005, 11:43 PM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
carbon fiber? Of all the things that could sell you on a car like the GT2, it's the carbon fiber? You've got to be kidding me...

How about acceleration, handling and braking that bridges the gap between a turbo and C-GT? How about an SCCA-approved integrated roll-bar system with bolt-in racing harnesses? How about a 100L fuel tank? How about adjustable aerodynamics to suit different tracks?

Old 04-14-2005, 12:07 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by ZAMIRZ
carbon fiber? Of all the things that could sell you on a car like the GT2, it's the carbon fiber? You've got to be kidding me...
it's not a buying point of course, but it's a way to show appreciation no doubt.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:20 AM
with the cf i was thinking about weight issues and so if there are better things to make the car lighter that would be a plus.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:35 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ZAMIRZ

How about acceleration, handling and braking that bridges the gap between a turbo and C-GT?

using CF panels will help it do all that, the car needs to be lighter. I doubt (atleast I hope) he's talking about color painted panels and not the CF exposed cosmetic crap

Getting that car in some SCCA classes would be a HUGE plus!
A clubsport version in america would be a bonus (isn't there one in europe)

Old 04-14-2005, 10:35 AM
another word on cf. maybe the cs has jaded me, but the cf i am recommending is not the little instrument surround, dash strips etc. i'd like to see radical changes. full door panels with cf also a full dash with cf.

weight issues could be addressed too.

I am not sure that there are any performance issues with the 996 but upgrades in power s/b commesurate with the 997 styling.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:39 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
never going to happen. Porsche is shifting towards more sport luxury, not hard core performance...sad...

Old 04-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by rockitman
never going to happen. Porsche is shifting towards more sport luxury, not hard core performance...sad...
you're prob right . just another case of the masses being asses and companies catering to that.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:52 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !

do you think they did that w/ the GT3? I think porsche will still have it's enthusiast geared cars w/ the GT's

Old 04-14-2005, 11:59 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by HotRodGuy
do you think they did that w/ the GT3? I think porsche will still have it's enthusiast geared cars w/ the GT's
I hope, but with the 4 door sedan coming out...a 997 GT3 with an inferior wet sump 3.8 motor, the 996 GT series may be the last of the true race bread Porsche GT cars....

Old 04-14-2005, 12:03 PM
I hope, but with the 4 door sedan coming out...a 997 GT3 with an inferior wet sump 3.8 motor, the 996 GT series may be the last of the true race bread Porsche GT cars....

it'll be interesting to see, I don't see porsche letting down that segment of it's buyers. What I do see is them taking some of their products and gearing them towards the more general consumer. Time will only tell

Old 04-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Arm
Arm is infamous around these parts
a 997 GT3 with an inferior wet sump 3.8 motor
Are you serious? I was thinking of placing a deposit on one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: interest in 997 gt2?