996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PCA HPDE Legal seats for big people

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:10 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
PCA HPDE Legal seats for big people

So, after doing a couple AutoX's it has become very apparent that I can't really fit in the car with my helmet / stock seats. Also, during one run I actually slid around enough to hit the shifter with my leg and push it out of gear.

I want to get into doing DE's, but there's no way I'm going to do it with stock seats. Not safe, IMO.

I'm 6'3, 275, wide shoulders and legs. I can drive the car on the street fine with stock seats, but not with helmet.

Here's what my research has shown me:

a.) GT3 seats are NOT for big people. I did get to test fit one, and it was a no-go.
b.) Most Sparco,corbeau,etc seats are heinous.

The possibilities seem to be either:
Recaro Sportster CS (4pt only, I think)

OEM 997 GT2 Sport Buckets (can do a 6pt)

Paired with a GMG Rollbar & Harnesses either 4pt ASM or 6pt

Questions:

1.) I have to double check if the Recaro's will pass tech with 4pt & ASM belts. Anyone run these?
2.) The 997 GT2s might not get me any headroom. I need 1"-2" I think to be comfortable. Anyone know how this goes for the 996s?
3.) Am I missing any seats? I need WIDE and LOW with recline. I also would prefer OEM looking or at least not race style colors/fabric.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:44 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
New direction........
http://www.tecnocraft.com/Tecnocraft...-Seat-P39.aspx

At ~12lbs with padding this might actually be worthwhile if I can fit, haha

Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 AM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
Brey Krause have brackets that will lower the seats a few inches.
http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/race_s...ts_porsche.php
Search on this forum, they helped a few people on this site

Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by AlexN
Brey Krause have brackets that will lower the seats a few inches.
http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/race_s...ts_porsche.php
Search on this forum, they helped a few people on this site
Sadly, I don't think they make anything except for the GT3 seats.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I wasn't aware that there are really any special HPDE seat requirements. If you have seats and belts that are street legal, I'd think you'd be fine terms of legal for HPDE. Good comfort and fit is a different issue and definitely should be addressed. Of course, if you're prepping your car for racing.....

Old 06-29-2011, 11:21 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aerodude
I wasn't aware that there are really any special HPDE seat requirements. If you have seats and belts that are street legal, I'd think you'd be fine terms of legal for HPDE. Good comfort and fit is a different issue and definitely should be addressed. Of course, if you're prepping your car for racing.....
It may or not be the PCA or the track itself where you run...but I do believe there are restrictions in some DE's for 4 points harnesses.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
It may or not be the PCA or the track itself where you run...but I do believe there are restrictions in some DE's for 4 points harnesses.
Right.

I remember reading that some groups won't allow 4pts with ASM where some will, etc.

No one will allow a stock seat with harness passthroughs cut into them, stuff like that.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. My conclusion so far is that it will be easier AND cheaper if I just lose 40lbs

Old 06-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Very good point. Although, since I'm in California, I would have guessed that we would have tighter restrictions (e.g. one of the first states to pass a seatbelt law back in the mid-80s) than most other places .

Old 06-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by vr4henry
Right.

Thanks for all the replies, folks. My conclusion so far is that it will be easier AND cheaper if I just lose 40lbs
Car will go faster too!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Quantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond repute
Sparco Evo 3's (old Evo XL's) will fit the bill.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Quantum
Sparco Evo 3's (old Evo XL's) will fit the bill.
From what I read on Rennlist those require mild modification to the seats to fit a 997 and modification to the sliders as well. I'm not sure about a 996.

Will look into it, even though I'm not a fan of the aesthetics, I could probably get them leather wrapped...

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:50 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Bump for this, I am also in search of a larger seat (6'3 225) same broad shoulder issue. I can't sink back into the sport seats, I have to curl into a ball to try to get my back to fit in them.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I'm 5'10" and 260lbs. I put Recaro Sport Topline seats into my 996 TT Cab and now I don't move around any more. No real fitting problem (for my wide butt). For 996 Recaro itself has an installation kit. The seats have both forward extension of the seat pad and electric tilt. Not sure if they're ok for track events (wouldn't be a problem at our PCA events out here though).

John in Vancouver

Old 08-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Still not resolved for me. Once I do I'll take lots of pics for comparisons.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:21 PM
MRE
MRE is infamous around these parts
I am 6-5 and had problems fitting in my turbo with the helmet also. I installed BK floor mount brackets and gt3 seats on both sides and the problem was solved. I just sold the car and will be posting the above items in the classified section soon along with some other BK safety equipment, fabspeed, 16g turbos, wheels, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCA HPDE Legal seats for big people