996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Questions for those with the GT2 slave conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
As others have said an upgraded pressure plate can increase the amount of resistance in the pedal you are feeling, after doing this mod. I also did my research and found that most people were saying it was small % increase over stock. After having the mod completed on my car I noticed the amount of resistance I was feeling in my leg did not add up with what others had indicated it might be at. That being said, the mod itself is one of the best upgrades I have ever done to any of my cars. The feedback is amazing compared to stock. If the amount of effort bothers you now, give it some time and hit the gym a little harder for the next couple of weeks. MAN UP!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
It is considerably stiffer than stock. Stock is like butter - I think 500% is accurate. The first time I drove mine, I was afraid that perhaps it was too stiff, but after just a few take-offs, I loved it. I also became used to the stiffness very quickly. After a month or so, I didn't even think about it any longer, except for how much I enjoyed it and now after a few years, it doesn't even seem that stiff.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nstea
Does anyone know if the GT2 conversion should feel like the actual GT2 clutch, or is the conversion stiffer? If anyone has that has felt both and could chime in, I would appreciate it.
I was always curious what this GT2 conversion hype was all about so I drove a friends 996tt that had it done. It surprised me how much stiffer the clutch was compared to my car which has the accumulator and a sachs stage 2 clutch. I would say 200-300% stiffer. Last week I was at my local dealership and they had an 02 GT2 on the floor with only 8k miles. Just for comparison I sat in the car and depressed the clutch a few times. It felt quite a bit lighter than the conversion GT2 clutch. I would say about 75% heavier than the stock clutch and quite a bit lighter than the conversion clutch. I liked the feel of the "real" GT2 clutch as it had the right amount of stiffness. The question is why the real thing and the conversion feel different? There has to be something more to it. Are the parts all identical???

Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tvurt
Yup its stiff. Love it though. You get used to the change, the only problem comes in when I drive one of my other manual cars, and end up smashing the pedal to the floor. . . . . .
BINGO! You will get used to it. It becomes very natural after some time (like when you add an inch to your left calf!). Give it some time.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:01 AM
cjaz is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all of the responses. Sounds like i should give it some time for me to adjust to it. It's not that it's intolerable, it isn't at all. I was just concerned after what i read while researching it that mine wasn't quite right.

A really good question is why is it more firm than the clutch in a GT2 if it has all the same parts. I'd love to know that. I had my mechanic drive it yesterday as well and he felt the same way. Definitely more still than an actual GT2. I am really curious as to why this would be if anyone has any insight on it.

thanks

chris

Old 06-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Hey I'm in Philly suburbs. You can check out my GT2 slave conversion and see how it is compared to yours...

It is a lot stiffer then it was before...

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Andywoj is infamous around these parts
Was your clutch pedal assist spring replaced with the GT2 part # with your upgrade? If not this may be why you are seeing a higher pedal effort.

Andy

Old 06-28-2011, 01:35 PM
cjaz is infamous around these parts
My clutch pedal assist spring was replaced with the GT2 part. My mechanic took out the spring yesterday and we compared them and compared how the pedal felt with no spring. The GT2 spring appears to be heavier duty spring to me, but it doesn't seem to really assist much compared to having no spring in there.

chris

Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
What really puzzles me is how this conversion can not feel the same as a GT2??? You are essentially copying and assembly process and materials list part for part, how can it come out any different... Like John said there has to be something, very confusing indeed...

Old 06-28-2011, 03:54 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
cjaz, are you running the OEM pressure plate and disc, or an upgraded set?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:44 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sunir
What really puzzles me is how this conversion can not feel the same as a GT2??? You are essentially copying and assembly process and materials list part for part, how can it come out any different... Like John said there has to be something, very confusing indeed...
This is the question....

Old 06-28-2011, 04:53 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by paneraiwatches
This is the question....
Yea that's the question.....

Old 06-28-2011, 05:20 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rdss
Yea that's the question.....
Well do you have an answer? Or are you just repeating what I said?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 PM
daytrip00 is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure either, but i believe the actual GT2 still has an accumulator (it's moved to the other side). This is a shot in the dark, but maybe it still has an accumulator but isn't actually hooked to the Power Steering pump whereas the conversion deletes both the accumulator and the PS pump assist...
Again, this is all speculation.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ GT2 does not have an accumulator and does not use pentosin loading for actuation

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions for those with the GT2 slave conversion