996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Questions for those with the GT2 slave conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Perhaps there is a mechanical / leverage difference in mechanism of the GT2 vs. TT?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I'd love to know the answer myself. In for the (eventual) answer I hope.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:12 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Was the clutch and pressure plate replaced with a factory GT2 parts? Or were after market/upgraded parts used? If a heavier duty unit was installed that may explain the differance in pedal effort.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
cjaz, are you running the OEM pressure plate and disc, or an upgraded set?
this will make a big diffrenece. my friend who also has the GT2 hydraulics with a more streetable pressure plate then mine and his pedal feels a bit lighter then mine.

OP is going to meet up with us Thursday evening and we'll see what's up. Brett you should come hang out Thursday night...

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gunther
Was the clutch and pressure plate replaced with a factory GT2 parts? Or were after market/upgraded parts used? If a heavier duty unit was installed that may explain the differance in pedal effort.
Gunther hits the nail,that may be the reason.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:01 PM
cjaz is infamous around these parts
I have the OEM pressure plate and disk.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:15 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rdss
Gunther hits the nail,that may be the reason.
I don't know that that is the reason...I say this because I have a motorsport clutch, Lightweight flywheel and pressure plate ...all RS Cup Car hardware and still my clutch is not 500% tighter than my turbo X50's was...and that had motorsport clutch, flywheel on it also (both cars were from the same seller and maintained/upgraded at TPC under Mike Levitas)

I would say from comparing both cars I've owned, about 75% or maybe even 85% stiffer than the overly assisted turbo X50's setup...if even that...

In fact I would go on to say that the real issue here is not that the GT2's setup is stiffer, it's more that the GT2's setup is what it should feel like, it is much more precise, very deliberate, and really comprehensive with the perfect stiffness and grab point, it should not feel super hard or 500% stiffer than the turbo....it should feel marginally stiffer and just right, how it should have been all along. The problem is the turbo unit is imprecise and ambigous and too soft as it is too heavily power assisted and built more for the masses who prefer a very soft and power assisted pedal feel...

Old 06-29-2011, 01:20 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
The different feel between a conversion and on an actual GT2 or GT3 has a lot to do with what pressure plate is in each car. You're also talking about your '02 with older components against something in a showroom with minimal wear, dirt and newer components.

The GT2 conversion is one of the best mods out there that doesn't make it go faster. Give it time and you're end up loving it.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:32 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RiA
The different feel between a conversion and on an actual GT2 or GT3 has a lot to do with what pressure plate is in each car. You're also talking about your '02 with older components against something in a showroom with minimal wear, dirt and newer components.

The GT2 conversion is one of the best mods out there that doesn't make it go faster. Give it time and you're end up loving it.
my car has 30K miles only...the motorsports parts were installed less than a few thousand maybe 5K or so miles ago ... the car feels like new when I shift...and it's not super stiff like I keep saying...it's not the componentry...

if you want to talk about showroom my friend's 997 GT2 (new car with like less than 1500 miles on it) also does not feel 500% stiffer than my old X50...
The actuation on my GT2 and my friends new 997 GT2 feel very much the same relatively speaking, even though I have recently upgraded motorsport clutch, LWFW, and pressure plate these two cars' clutches feels relatively similar.... NEITHER is super stiff and NEITHER are sooooo much stiffer than my old turbo or any turbo I've driven prior, new or used.

I don't know how many other ways I can put this ....

Old 06-29-2011, 03:14 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
500% stiffer is subjetive.OP should try anothe car with the GT2 conversion or should go to a known Porsche shop to ask if his clutch is assambled correctly.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Would be interesting to see a measured comparison. 500% is only the difference between 2lbs and 10lbs pressure.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Zippy
Would be interesting to see a measured comparison. 500% is only the difference between 2lbs and 10lbs pressure.
Right 500% is only the difference betwen 2 lbs and 10 lbs,but if you are at the gym doing bench press 10 lbs is only the difference to push the bar up or to have that bar on your throat.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:43 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
I don't know how many other ways I can put this ....
I have the conversion (performed by SharkWerks) and the SharekWerks EVO Stage 4 clutch assembly. While mine is stiffer than a standard GT2/3, my subjective pressure scale does not say 500% stiffer.

Prior to my present setup, I had the EVO Stage 3, and it was unbearably stiff. The clutch fork (which was worn) was replaced at the time when I upgraded to Stage 4. This will have an impact on how easy it is to depress the clutch - this is part of the worn and old components that I mentioned earlier.

There are many different components and variations out there that will have an impact on your subjective analysis.

I don't know how to say this any other way

Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 PM
tone01 is infamous around these parts
clutch

i did the conversion did you change the helper spring on the pedal mines was really stiff till i changed it. after that it wasn't so bad the gt2 helper spring is much more hevey duty

Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 PM
daytrip00 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tone01
i did the conversion did you change the helper spring on the pedal mines was really stiff till i changed it. after that it wasn't so bad the gt2 helper spring is much more hevey duty
That totally makes sense! I'll probably upgrade the helper spring to the stock GT2 one if i upgrade my pressure plate...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions for those with the GT2 slave conversion