996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Questions for those with the GT2 slave conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:50 PM
cjaz is infamous around these parts
Questions for those with the GT2 slave conversion

Guys,

I just had this completed on friday. My clutch pedal is very, very stiff. In my research before having this done, it seemed like the universal opinion was that it is a great modification to do and that the pedal although more stiff, wasn't significantly more stiff than stock.

Mine is significantly more stiff. Everything seems to be working fine, but the difference in pedal effort is huge. It seems to have gone from nearly no effort for the stock setup, to a ton of effort now.

Can anyone comment on why my results might be different than everyone else's? I used all the same parts, everything was OEM Porsche, except for the bracket.

Thanks

chris

Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
Scott,
the only thing I can say assuming the conversion was done correctly ...is stiff is a subjective feeling. Give it some time to get aquatinted to the feel.
I can tell you it was one of the best modd I have done and improved the driving experience.
Elliot

Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 PM
daytrip00 is infamous around these parts
I just had it done as well and, while the pedal is stiffer, it's not even as stiff as my old 996 which I'm guessing had an upgraded pressure plate. Have you upgraded yours?
I'm sure the lack of a power assist along with an upgraded pressure plate could make the pedal pretty stiff. I had one mechanic suggest that this was a horrible mod, but I gotta say that i'm completely in love with mine.
Yes it's stiffer, but aesthetically, i think it should be. It's a 420++ HP sports car for chrisssake.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:32 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I've had an X50 996TT and now have a GT2... the GT2 pedal is only moderately stiffer than the turbo, yes it's noticable, but it's not a hinderance at all...in fact the stiffness and overall feel are more precise and deliberate than the turbo which is overly power assisted, ambigous, and imprecise.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:40 PM
I agree, stiff is subjective. It could be that I'm just not used to it yet. I just remember reading guys saying things like "it's 40% more stiff than stock". I would say mine is about 500% more stiff than stock. Could there be wear on other parts of the clutch that could contribute to this?

I'd love to find someone near me that has done this conversion so i could compare both pedals. Anyone near philly with this mod?

thanks

chris

Old 06-27-2011, 06:45 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjaz
I agree, stiff is subjective. It could be that I'm just not used to it yet. I just remember reading guys saying things like "it's 40% more stiff than stock". I would say mine is about 500% more stiff than stock. Could there be wear on other parts of the clutch that could contribute to this?

I'd love to find someone near me that has done this conversion so i could compare both pedals. Anyone near philly with this mod?

thanks

chris
it's not 500% more stiff than the X50...trust me I've owned both cars now and driving both the GT2 is not that much stiffer, yes it's firmer but you are making it sound like depressing the clutch on a turbo on startup with a bad accumulator...now that's stiff!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
I've had an X50 996TT and now have a GT2... the GT2 pedal is only moderately stiffer than the turbo, yes it's noticable, but it's not a hinderance at all...in fact the stiffness and overall feel are more precise and deliberate than the turbo which is overly power assisted, ambigous, and imprecise.

I really can't imagine anyone saying that mine is just moderately stiffer than a stock turbo. I'm thinking that for some reason mine might not be quite right. I'm confident my mechanic put the parts in correctly though. I checked the part numbers tonight for the slave and master cylinder I used. They appear to be correct as well.

definitely puzzled

chris

Old 06-27-2011, 06:51 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
Mine felt very stiff at first but now I am use to it, and I love my LWFW and clutch setup. Drove a 2011 gt3 RS saturday and that was not as stiff as mine but still quite firm, clutch in my Z06 is light compared to both.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:54 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Yup its stiff. Love it though. You get used to the change, the only problem comes in when I drive one of my other manual cars, and end up smashing the pedal to the floor. . . . . .

Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
it's not 500% more stiff than the X50...trust me I've owned both cars now and driving both the GT2 is not that much stiffer, yes it's firmer but you are making it sound like depressing the clutch on a turbo on startup with a bad accumulator...now that's stiff!!!

my accumulator was bad, and the pedal got super stiff on me. pedal effort is not far off from when the accumulator was really bad. it drives better than when it had the bad accumulator, it has better pedal feel now, but pedal effort isn't that far off. what might cause it to feel like that?

chris

Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Chris I'm puzzled for ya bro as well ...if you were local I would let you check out the pedal feel on my GT2 and decide for yourself... I dunno what's the deal with your install or parts but this is frustrating I bet since we use the clutch so often in these cars...

Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm hoping someone that lives close that has it done will turn up. That would at least give me another data point.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM
^^^ that's your best bet... you are stuck like a ship at sea without a port without any data points to compare so getting those data points is vital ......

Old 06-27-2011, 07:26 PM
nstea is infamous around these parts
Cjaz, I feel like I'm in the same boat as you on this. Had mine done 1 month ago by an indy and it's MUCH stiffer than I was expecting. This left me wondering if it was done correctly (I'm pretty sure it was the first time they did it)... Being so subjective I can't put a number on how much more stiff it is, but maybe 3-4 times stiffer. I'd love to find someone local to compare to.

I can tell you this though, I have gotten much more used to it over the past month, which is what I heard happens with this mod.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:38 PM
nstea is infamous around these parts
Does anyone know if the GT2 conversion should feel like the actual GT2 clutch, or is the conversion stiffer? If anyone has that has felt both and could chime in, I would appreciate it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions for those with the GT2 slave conversion