996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any comments on SplitSecond piggy back turbo tuner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Silver-996-TT is infamous around these parts
Any comments on SplitSecond piggy back turbo tuner

Im thinking about getting the "split second" turbo tuner piggyback unit. I just recently heard about this product. Does anyone have any feedback/advise ?

Thanks,
HD

Old 07-02-2011, 07:59 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Why in the world would you use a piggyback tuner on an ecu that can be calibrated to endless extents by people that know how to tune?

The 996 turbo has an awesome aftermarket following of vehicle specific tuners in EPL, UMW, Marski, EVOMS, ect ect ect that utilize the factory computer and tune it based of your needs- catalytic converters, fueling injectors or FPRs, meth injection, various turbos, octane limitations, transmission type. Using a plug in piggyback unit could not possibly take into account all the parameters that should be adjusted when just adding boost.

I would steer very clear. Engines on these things are not cheap and you are messing with fire.

There are too many good experiences with those that make a living tuning turbo porsches almost exclusively

Old 07-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Big +1 on NOLA's comment. Any one of those tuners will be able to provide you with an excellent ECU tune without the risk of effing up your $30k engine. Some of those tuners can offer you a data cable and you can download the tune to your ECU yourself at home.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:43 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
^^^^+1

Old 07-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Silver-996-TT is infamous around these parts
WoW.... thanks a lot for the feedback. The only reason for even considering this unit was that, I thought there would be less potential for damage. I guess I was WRONG.

The main concern with permanently flashing the ECU is that this is my DD and I plan to put many many miles on this engine and drive it everyday. Any recommendations for an ECU tune that is safe and doesn't require other mods, i.e. exhaust, headers, etc......

Old 07-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
All of the above mentioned tuners provide safe tunes. The engine in this car is basically a detuned version of the 996 GT1 engine. It is way over engineered and can handle a lot more power safely and reliably than what it comes with from the factory. Buy an ECU tune and enjoy the power without worry of lost reliability. The only upgrade you may need to do is get some upgraded diverter valves to handle the extra boost.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:57 PM
TimAZ has a spectacular aura aboutTimAZ has a spectacular aura aboutTimAZ has a spectacular aura about
+1111 I know Kevin at UMW provides you with a cable and ECU reading software for your lap top. You can switch it back and forth from stock to flashed in about 15 seconds...piece of cake. I know, I have one and love it.

Tim

Old 07-02-2011, 11:55 PM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
So none of these tuners ever blew a motor? I'm sure they have made errors as well. The fact is the more you go to unknown limits of any component the more likely hood of error because of trial and error is the only way to learn. With that said, you will probably never hear of a tuners f'up because forum members seem to have a pride about them and will not post about major issues. Go with a tuner who is experienced and will not take risk with your car.

Also I do know that piggybacks have greatly evolved. I say that if your comfertable with the tuner go with it and enjoy. The more options to tune the better.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:59 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007-911
So none of these tuners ever blew a motor? I'm sure they have made errors as well. The fact is the more you go to unknown limits of any component the more likely hood of error because of trial and error is the only way to learn. With that said, you will probably never hear of a tuners f'up because forum members seem to have a pride about them and will not post about major issues. Go with a tuner who is experienced and will not take risk with your car.

Also I do know that piggybacks have greatly evolved. I say that if your comfertable with the tuner go with it and enjoy. The more options to tune the better.
I can't say they haven't and they likely have. Probably not on a standard k16 tune

My point is that there are guys who spend their livelihoods in the ECU of Porsche turbos. Wouldn't you want someone who does it exclusively and knows about ALL of the parameters of a tune. These guys didn't just take a ECU, figure out how to make more boost and bolt it back in, your talking data logging A/F ratios, ect until it was a safe a marketable product.

A piggyback tune from a BMW tuner is merely an afterthought product to generate a little more money. From the mouths of those that know, you cannot adjust all of the safety mechanisms and options that need to be adjusted when you raise boost pressure from a device that merely taps the communication wires. Your 30 thousand dollar motor is at the hands of not only someone elses questionable software, but also their hardware and why? The basic tune on this car by the big guys is as safe as you could possible ask for

Old 07-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 007-911
With that said, you will probably never hear of a tuners f'up because forum members seem to have a pride about them and will not post about major issues.
I'm not sure about this -- I believe that we'll hear about it loud and clear if someone's car got screwed up by a tuner. Heck, folks here will probably call out a close family member if they messed up their car . On the ECU upgrade, my only experience is with the EVOMSit flash (installed for me by Sharkwerks) and I've been extremely happy with it.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:48 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I don't know how to read 007's post...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say NONE of the top tuners have blown up a stock k16 motor with a K16 tune in modern times (ie last 5 years). UMW, EPL, Soft,GIAC, etc.

Personally I cannot think of a SINGLE owner with a piggyback tune here.... that alone would make ME 'uncomfortable'...so why would a poster say 'if you're comfortable with a piggy back go for it'... i don't know how a reasonably read and informed owner could GET comfortable.

The choice of tune/tuner should ultimately be made not only on the code, but on the way in which the owner will obtain their technical support. IMO that it the biggest difference.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:37 AM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ard
I don't know how to read 007's post...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say NONE of the top tuners have blown up a stock k16 motor with a K16 tune in modern times (ie last 5 years). UMW, EPL, Soft,GIAC, etc.

Personally I cannot think of a SINGLE owner with a piggyback tune here.... that alone would make ME 'uncomfortable'...so why would a poster say 'if you're comfortable with a piggy back go for it'... i don't know how a reasonably read and informed owner could GET comfortable.

The choice of tune/tuner should ultimately be made not only on the code, but on the way in which the owner will obtain their technical support. IMO that it the biggest difference.
I was merely trying to say, to each their own. I chose EPL because Tony made me feel comfortable that he would not be overly aggressive with my tune and I got a positive vibe from him, after seeing reviews of some of his tunes I shipped my car to him. I didnt realize that OP was talking about a K16 tune. For a basic k16 tune Im sure the big dawgs in the tuning game probably didnt blow anything up. But if OP is looking for a basic tune and has no plans to upgrade to a more aggressive system then going with any decent tuner should be fine regardless of Ecu or piggy tune. Most piggyback systems that I have seen and used dont change factory failsafes and change small perimeters so for a basic tune this may be fine.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:54 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Call Markski he gets a ECU tune from Proto...........excellent experience

Old 07-03-2011, 01:14 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I wouldn't go that direction. I would use one of the tuners mentioned above.