996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

UMW stage 2a kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:11 AM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
I have it, but with a 91 tune. I'll have some dyno #s soon, I will say that I have left more than one or two very surprised sport bikes and just the other day an Audi quattro ( which I saw put down 612 awhp on a mustang at 4300ft )
in my wake I know there are many faster 996tts out there, but for what I am in this mod it is a bargain. On the freeway in sixth gear it has so much low end tq it almost feels na.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
Mustang dump that reads 330 awhp for stock 996tt. He just trash talked about other vendors and etc on my 2nd call and his prices were.ludicrous.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Cueto is infamous around these parts
Blockhed, I would guess that what you have now is faster? What you have now is sorta comparable (parts/cost) or its a very different setup?

I am in the market to soon start modding and I am gathering as much info as I can.

Thanks

Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
Pm me your numbrr

Old 07-06-2011, 02:35 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by quick
I do know one thing though... What ever package you go with,they all make so much friggen torque that a new clutch is almost inevitable
Have spoken to him on multiple times and is indeed a great guy.

I've got to comment about the whole 'new clutch myth'...

How you drive defines you clutch life. There is nothing inherent with the UMW flash that toasts clutches....

IMO

A

Old 07-06-2011, 03:16 PM
ARD, if it helps give you an idea. I drove a 2.5L boxtser daily for over 120,000 miles (8-9 years). over 100 track days included during that time. Still on the same clutch, no issues. I would say I am ok on clutch use. Maybe that experience translates to the 996tt maybe not? Dunno. My 996TT has 60,000 miles, tons of "canyon carving" and my fair bit of street racing.

Anyhow, there is a local mustang dyno where an EPL flash+Exhaust+new airbox 996tt did some pulls recently. I am going to be trying my car on that dyno once i get it back with the new clutch.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:35 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I'm just saying, it isn't 'inevitable'.

I have kevins (UMW) 100 octane tune on my X50 (k24s)...at WOT in 2nd and 3rd, I can get slippage with cool air temps.

But you simply back off the throttle ever so slightly...and guess what? No slip.

Hence my comment that it is user controllable. Has nothing to do with knowing how to drive a clutch, has to do with mastering a clutch and knowing how not to abuse it. It is pretty hard to sense when you are getting slip at WOT as the rpms and noise build up- and it doesn't take but a few seconds to glaze the disc...it isn't how you actuate the clutch, it's sensing slip and keeping away from it.

Now, if you need to drive at 10/10ths and you need that last bit of power to the wheels, go and upgrade the clutch... but many people repeat the "UMW is so powerful you'll need a clutch' and decide to choose (perhaps) a weaker tune to avoid this perceived risk...

That's what I'm getting at.

A

Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 AM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
I found out est 530-540 whp from this kit

Old 07-07-2011, 07:14 AM
GT2996TT has a spectacular aura aboutGT2996TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Blockhed
Mustang dump that reads 330 awhp for stock 996tt. He just trash talked about other vendors and etc on my 2nd call and his prices were.ludicrous.
That's one thing I found he lacks, it's respect for other tuners. Others may even be the worst tuners ever, trash talking them with a customer is not good business practice in anyone's books.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:52 AM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by GT2996TT
That's one thing I found he lacks, it's respect for other tuners. Others may even be the worst tuners ever, trash talking them with a customer is not good business practice in anyone's books.
I spoke to Kevin and he was totally different from your experience, he gave credit to several vendors/ tuners and criticism on things he had negative experience with.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by ard
I'm just saying, it isn't 'inevitable'.

I have kevins (UMW) 100 octane tune on my X50 (k24s)...at WOT in 2nd and 3rd, I can get slippage with cool air temps.

But you simply back off the throttle ever so slightly...and guess what? No slip.

Hence my comment that it is user controllable. Has nothing to do with knowing how to drive a clutch, has to do with mastering a clutch and knowing how not to abuse it. It is pretty hard to sense when you are getting slip at WOT as the rpms and noise build up- and it doesn't take but a few seconds to glaze the disc...it isn't how you actuate the clutch, it's sensing slip and keeping away from it.

Now, if you need to drive at 10/10ths and you need that last bit of power to the wheels, go and upgrade the clutch... but many people repeat the "UMW is so powerful you'll need a clutch' and decide to choose (perhaps) a weaker tune to avoid this perceived risk...

That's what I'm getting at.

A

Oh, you are right indeed. My clutch aint fried, I just cant go WOT. I wouldnt say i can use about 7.5/10ths of the engine. WOT results in slipping as soon as boost reaches 1.0-1.1 (I am on 93oct).

It is in NO WAY a knock on his tune, I LOVE IT, I just thought all other guys who had mentioned the new clutch thing just didnt know how to drive stick

Since we never discussed other tuners, I cant confirm/deny to the fact of him dissing anyone.

Now, how about going back to the OP's question???

Old 07-07-2011, 11:04 AM
PM Sent, Blockhed.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
I have the UMW Stage 2A kit.. installed it approximately 1 year ago. The kit exceeded my expectations. His price was better than the equivalent package from any other tuner when I was shopping. Kevin is a very good guy, answering any questions you may have day or night. His knowledge w/ the 996TT borders on the insane. Ask and you shall have an answer!

As far as performance numbers go.. I was told its around 530-550whp. I'll get it dynoed one of these days, I just haven't found a dyno in my area that I trust.

And regarding torque.. its a monster. Instant spool throughout the entire range. I can't compare it to other kits out there because I haven't driven another 996TT modded w/ turbos. But this kit is a torque monster and I recommend it to anyone. If your local, I'll take you for a spin. Otherwise, call Kevin or email him if you have questions. He always is prompt in answering and helping out. I have nothing but good things to say about him and his services.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
when i first bought my car i also conacted UMW about a potential upgrade path. he quoted me about 15,000$ to get to 580whp on Dynojet. he also mentioned another tuner i was considering in a way that i did not think was professional, also a turn off. i was already at 500+ whp on dynojet so it made no sense to go his route.

as far as clutch holding up. my car had about 20k miles when i changed my clutch. i had K24s, exhaust, 5bar and made 516rwhp on Dynojet. my clutch started slipping slightly as described and didnt "fully" go out. issue with driving the car and just backing off when you get slip is that you ruin and glaze the flywheel. if i would have changed the clutch instead of driving on it i would have been able to resuse my flywheel.... but i kept driving on slipping clutch and flywheel was ruined.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 07-07-2011, 04:16 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Kevin is good for entree level kits, he's knowledgeable. He is not a tuner (he flashes). if you wait more than a month, get your money back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UMW stage 2a kit