996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

UMW stage 2a kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Cueto is infamous around these parts
Well unfortunately that list lacks tuners and what kind of package/cost. That way it would be more useful for noobs like me. Noob to this board mind you, been racing P's since 1998, not a LOT of time (or budget), but something is something.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jonty
All tuners flash the ECU.
Yes... but can they tune? Any of the current tuners that offer kits, seem to be all pretty good. When you go for big Hp thats when you run into problems...trust me. So pick evoms, proto, switzer, umw up to a 700 hp kit no problem. after that you need somebody that can actually tune.. thats when you need to do your homework...

Last edited by topgun; 07-08-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:31 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT2996TT
Now that is from someone who has first hand customer-vendor experience with the guy...
Thats right...Im just giving facts (no bashing), I think Kevin is a good guy...

Old 07-08-2011, 06:32 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by topgun
I think Kevin is a good guy...
Thanks Bro, you arent so bad yourself!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:38 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cueto
Dr_jitsu.

I am sure that you can/will find someone to share his bad experience with Kevin/UMW, but that can be said for every business/tuner. Its nearly impossible to satisfy 100% out of every single client. I bet you could find people that would share their bad experiences with 9ff/ruf/proto/vivid/EVOms/...

Just sayin...
Cueto, you are correct but Sean makes a better point. We are trying to help. No one is bashing Kevin, I liked him then and I still like him now, but he failed to deliver on a multi year project for TopGun and I. No name calling, no bashing, just the facts. We moved on. If Kevin was next to me in a bar, I would buy him a drink. If Sean was next to me, I would buy him one of those girly drinks with an umbrella(sorry, old habits are hard to break!)

Old 07-08-2011, 06:49 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
he can't respond for a reason give that a little thought!!!! or just send him a check and Way for hell to freeze over

Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Kevin,

Are you still having fantasies of getting me drunk, you big hulking manly man you?

To the OP,

What the very knowledgeable people on this thread are saying is, that if you just want a flash, then UMW is fine.

However rarely does anyone want just a flash, and these motors are capable of so much more, 800 hp on a stock block on race gas, and mid 600's on pump. As mentioned, when you start going beyond a flash, you need someone who really knows how to tune.

I went w/ Todd K of Protomotive, who is called the mad scientist for a reason. My car makes well into the 600's on pump and it is one of the most reliable cars I have ever had.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 AM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by steve harris
he can't respond for a reason give that a little thought!!!! or just send him a check and Way for hell to freeze over
Thanks for the input, you had a bad experience and you have been posting about it on every thread about UMW for the last several years. Now please back to the original question I asked. You cant add any more value here, but thank you.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
People seem to be getting confused between "who is the best vendor to bend the envelope" and "who is the best tuner for me"

I'm of the opinion if you want a good, solid, driveable upgrade...and you want amazing customer support.. UMW is near or at the top. If you want to be able to say "my car has what the fastest 996TT has" then look elsewhere. But recognize that the very top vendors will custom tune their fastest/hairiest cars, and just becuase you use them you are not going to necessarily get their custom tunes or their top attention....how many stories do we read about some of the best being 'unavailable' for the routine stuff?

Look, just understand that this is a complex business with multiple variables on your side and the vendors side...and make a decision on YOUR situation and what YOU need.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Sean, here is my chime. Fastest stock K16 car STILL. I do believe my AWD 60-130 was still faster than the second stock k16 car on the list.