996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Screwed on wheels AGAIN??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Vertex Marine is infamous around these parts
Good luck Don

Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 PM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
No matter what, I would never drive on those wheels again.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 PM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FLY996
No matter what, I would never drive on those wheels again.
You would have too. After you put the correct conical seat bolts in there, you'd have to drive around and periodically re-torque the bolts as they slowly ate the seat to form a new shape. Because as they grind away, they will loosen as the seat material is ground away from under them.

If we follow the "logic" of going ahead and grinding new seats, why in the hell would you put a conical seat back in there when the rounded seats are almost completely ground in NOW. Just torque them once a day or two until they quit reshaping the seats. This version of idiocy takes far less time and destroys less of the remaining seat material than starting over with a new shaped seat.

Do tell me you paid for these on a good credit card and saved all your emails with the vendors so your chargeback process will go easy.

Jim

Last edited by jspporsche; 07-13-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Carbon
How long before a mod comes in and tells you you should have PMed them first before making a thread about a board sponsor?

Good luck with this man.
you are absolutely right he should have contacted a mod before introducing more drama to the board whether it was a problem with another member or a sponsor...same thing he was told last time he went bargain shopping and had a bad result....but in this case it is pretty clear that the seller made a mistake and should fix the problem...if they can be machined and be safe then the seller should pay for that...if they can't be made safe the seller should replace them...merely sending the correct lugs after the wheels have been compromised doesn't cut it IMO

Old 07-13-2011, 12:46 AM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
Draw a conical seat in side view. Now draw a new profile with that shape worn rounded. See how much material is removed. Wait, that's nothing. Now draw a new conical seat shape on the new rounded seat. LOTS more material gone.

The retailer would recommend this action by putting in new bolts and letting it wear in again??? Wow...

Either mill in the slight remaining shape of a rounded seat and measure the remaining material and ask someone (who???) if that's enough remaining material or junk them. Don't compound the damage by going conical yet again.

Jim

Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jspporsche
And you might want to stay away from bargain based retailers from now on and go with mainline retailers who don't flinch when they make a mistake.
Not relating it to this incident, but overall, this is excellent advice IMHO.

I've found you can usually spot the suspect parts peddlers who trumpet "no one beats our prices!" but the fine print is along the lines of "sales are final" or "no refunds - store credit only" or "significant percentage restocking fees apply" etc etc. They're great when everything goes as planned the first time... but it can get real uncomfortable real quick when something goes awry.

Caveat emptor. You pays your money and you takes your chances...

Old 07-13-2011, 08:41 AM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
That sucks. I hope you can get it resolved

On the other hand, do u have any pics of your car with the Forgestars on? I'm on the fence bout putting em on my Black Turbo, lookin for pics

Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
totally $ucks, I had the longest and worst experience with ModB, drawn out for over six months, never buy again from them, there fault and they should correct quickly for you, good luck

Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Dude, you have some bad luck on wheels. My advice, stick with OEM wheels.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
From your pics it looks like the wheels originally came with a round seats and conical bolts were used that had only minimal contact in the bottom of each hole. Not the other way around.

If this is the case, using conical bolts should work fine. The small area that was compromised at the very lower extreme of the hole shouldn't make a difference. This is based on what I see in the pics.

I can't believe that the shop that mounted these did so using the wrong lug bolts. This would be the first thing I'd check as well as the length of thread into the hub.

Hope you get this sorted. GL!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Just got my F14s a few days ago from another Forgestar distributor and received the conical lug bolts. Will need to double check if these are in fact correct type of lug bolts for the wheels. Have not mounted the tires as of yet.

MB is just a middle-man in this issue. Whichs means MB needs to settle this with Forgestar, hopefully this will be resolved quickly to everyones satisfaction.

Last edited by 996TWINS; 07-13-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Former Vendor
ModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant future
Before everyone one jumps on the bandwagon, I do want to state that are aware of this situation. We have been working with both Forgestar and dgreen78 on this and are definitely taking measures to make sure this gets resolved as quickly as possible.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
thanks Ron...keep me posted...dgreen78, you too...everyone has had their say...I will update when this issue is resolved