996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fix Clutch Accumulator or GT2 Slave?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Fix Clutch Accumulator or GT2 Slave?

I've read several post on this matter and understand the issues with the stock Turbo cluch master/slave, PS pump boost and accumulator storage device.

I also understand what's needed parts wise and have a pretty good understanding labor wise and will most likely do whatever I choose myself. This is not something I want to do, however, due to limited time and I have plenty of hobbies already.

Anyway, my '04 just turned 17k miles and the accumulator has been out for the 2250 miles that I've owned the car. I'd like to fix it and with conversations with my friends that are techs at the P-dealer, I've learned that I could fix it and that would be the end of my troubles. I've also learned that the slave could go out soon as well and require replacement too.

So, what do you guys think? Replace the accumulator with the updated 997 one. Replace the slave as well even though it's fine right now. Or just move to the GT2 slave and master and be done with it for ever.

I'm leaning to just do the 997 accumulator and hope the slave will last a few more years at about 5k-6k miles/year.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
GT2 slave and never look back and no regrets.
It's not much heavier than stock, that's a myth. Or posted by 120 lbs guys.
Clutch modulation: 100% feel.

Nothing to even think about, many many others have already said the same in other posts.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:47 AM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Such a great mod, don't miss out!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Wouldn't the 997 accumulator allow for a lighter pedal if you decided to go with a heavier pressure plate in the future (to hold more power)?

To me it sounds like the GT2 conversion will give you more feel and the 997 accumulator will allow for a lighter pedal if the pressure plate is upgraded.

Sounds like a personal choice.

Later, Steve

Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 AM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
I've never seen anyone complain about the GT2 mod.

I've definitely seen people lament that they just replaced the slave/accumulator only to have it fail again in a few thousand miles.

I'll be doing the GT2 mod.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:30 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
ive had two fail in my 997 Turbo, next time around its gt2 mod for me. the biggest issue I have with the car is the crappy clutch feel due to the design. gt2 mod all the way.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
My reason for replacing the accumulator is to make the car right and possibly preserve the stock master, slave, ps pump and related parts if in fact it has any bearing on that.

I hike a lot and climb and have very strong calf and leg muscles so I could actually live with the stiff first clutch depression all day long without an issue.

Frankly, working on vehicles is what I do all day most every day for a living, I bought the Turbo to enjoy not wrench on. I have lots of motorcycles a Jeep, wifes Boxster, and her DD to maintain and fullfill my limited need to wrench at home, which is still too much.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 AM
moto is a name known to allmoto is a name known to allmoto is a name known to allmoto is a name known to allmoto is a name known to allmoto is a name known to all
I like the GT2 mod as well. I just did mine.

I ended up with an extra kit if anyone is interested...pm me

-M

Old 07-14-2011, 12:14 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vr4henry
I've never seen anyone complain about the GT2 mod.
Ripe for a "What can't Adam complain about"...

On my list....

A

Old 08-08-2011, 03:29 PM
jsteg is infamous around these parts
Moto, I'm too new to the forum to send PM, interested in the extra kit if you have it. How long did it take to do the mod?

Old 08-08-2011, 05:08 PM
daytrip00 is infamous around these parts
I've seen a few people complain about it, but I can't imagine why.

I love mine and wouldn't reverse it for anything. I'm even thinking about removing the helper spring to get a more linear feel. Any of you guys have any thoughts on doing that?

Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I've my slave goes out again I will do the conversion.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Romans 1:16 is just really niceRomans 1:16 is just really niceRomans 1:16 is just really niceRomans 1:16 is just really nice
It WILL go out again , so if it's not too late, do the GT2 now!!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:56 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
GT2 and don't look back. You will not regret it.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
The real issue is WHY the 996TT units seem to go out with greater frequency... From what I was told by several was that the hydraulics were designed to hold the pressure of a stock PP/Clutch system. Add higher rated bits and the failure rate increases. I experienced this first hand right after I swapped from the stock clutch to the Sachs motorsport unit with fulcrum mod. Went thru multiple of each component before I gave up and did the swap while the trans was out for rebuild/upgrades.

Mike

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fix Clutch Accumulator or GT2 Slave?