996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

So, Has Anybodys Car Ever Just Cut Out On Them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:54 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Fuel sender unit removed

Just had a quick poke around inside the tank and it looks like a simple fix

The small black 'u pipe' that usually cracks has just popped off the y-piece it connects to

So, once it's connected we should be good to go!!

I'll remove the pump to reattache the pipe, and will give everything else a good inspection before refitting

More updates to follow

Old 09-11-2011, 09:58 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
'U-pipe' reattached - BUT, I couldn't find a new hose clip of the correct size

So I've prized apart the old item (it's a crush-fit type hose clip) refitted it, and then crushed it back again to hold the hose in place

The car's battery is low from when I tried to start it previously, so I've got it on charge and will try to restart it later (hopefully tonight)

Assuming all is well and the car restarts I'll get a new hose clip to replace the old one

Old 09-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ant_8u
'U-pipe' reattached - BUT, I couldn't find a new hose clip of the correct size

So I've prized apart the old item (it's a crush-fit type hose clip) refitted it, and then crushed it back again to hold the hose in place

The car's battery is low from when I tried to start it previously, so I've got it on charge and will try to restart it later (hopefully tonight)

Assuming all is well and the car restarts I'll get a new hose clip to replace the old one
Well this is good news Ant, as I said earlier it did have the whiff of a fuel pump problem. Lets hope that its fixed. Fingers crossed for you.
Frank

Old 09-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Yeah, just need to wait for the battery to charge before I try starting it again

Rep points to everyone that joined in!

Old 09-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Good news everybody!!

Just tried cranking the car.....

VROOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!!

So, just to recap
The black rubber u-pipe on my fuel pump has become unattached

I reconnected it and the car started straight away

I have spent no money on replacement parts, and the work wouldn't have taken more than 30-40 minutes

Thanks again to everyone that posted and helped out

I love this forum

Old 09-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Duff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond repute
Good to hear your back and running! I have heard of them popping off before and splitting which is most common it seems like. Does anybody know how much pressure is going through that line? Also that black rubber line is connected to a silver check valve is it possible those can fail causing the splitting and popping off of the line?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I don't know how much pressure goes through that pipe, nor whether the check valves are prone to failure

To confirm - My u-pipe became unattached at the plastic y-piece
It was still attached at the check valve

I couldn't say what caused it to come off
Poor installation? - Surely not after 11 years?
Too much pressure?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Good to hear...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-31-2012, 04:31 PM
DougA is infamous around these parts
thanks for starting this thread, its going to come in handy. just yesterday i was cruising down the highway and all of sudden the 911 just stopped running. i had the music so loud that at first i didnt notice. anyways, coasted to a stop. i tried to start it a few times, but all i could get was a quick turn-over, some start-up in the motor and then dead. so, i had it flat-bedded home. now, ill look into the details and let you know what i find. given everything ive read in this post, im thinking fuel pump or fuel line.

fortunately, ive got all the tools. but i dont have a durametric. nor do i have a lift but ive got jacks and floor stands. but this 911 is nothing like the old jeeps and vettes that im used to. ill let you know what i find.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:47 AM
DougA is infamous around these parts
ok, so the 911 tt is back home. it was the fuel line that ruptured. i have attached a jpg that i grabbed from the internet, this fuel pump looks just like the one that the garage replaced. the little black rubber hose toward the bottom middle of the figure is the hose that ruptured. if i had the time and patience, i would have replaced this myself but i have neither. the people at ips here north of columbus did a fine job on the 911. they asked me if i wanted to just replace the rubber hose or the entire assembly which comes from porsche with a plastic line instead of a rubber one. since the car has sentimental value, id like to keep it nice so i said replace the entire deal. they also did a nice job with some other work that needed to be done.

Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Simi_996 is infamous around these partsSimi_996 is infamous around these parts
Question...I don't drive my car enough to constantly turnover gas. So there will be weeks (thankfully I do drive the enough to fill up every 4-6 weeks) where my tank is half empty vs. weeks where it sits half full. Is it better to always top off my tank so the rubber hose is always submerged or is it actually better to keep the tank half full so the fuel doesn't eat at the rubber?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Simi_996
So there will be weeks (thankfully I do drive the enough to fill up every 4-6 weeks) where my tank is half empty vs. weeks where it sits half full.
What exactly is the difference between half empty and half full?

Usually it's a reaction of oxygen with the fluid that causes problems and not the fuel alone. Keeping them submerged will make them last longer IMHO because they won't be exposed to the air.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Simi_996 is infamous around these partsSimi_996 is infamous around these parts
My bad..I meant half empty vs. full.

That's what I was thinking too...so I guess I better get into the habit of topping off my tank.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
my car did that once to me. One hose between IC and y-pipe popped off under boost and car went as limp as a 95 year old man.

Good to know how yours died and that it cost no major money either

Old 08-15-2012, 08:34 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Just to add to the thread for posterity...I have had that rubber hose rupture twice. Both times replaced by Dealer under warranty...my guess is the first replacement had been on the shelf for some time and it ruptured quickly after replacement. I contacted some fuel manufacturers to try and understand what might be causing the rubber to deteriorate...there were some theories (e.g., ethanol), but no one actually knew.