996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

R/L raised at 7.1K , any danger for stock rod bolts ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 PM
cosworth is infamous around these parts
R/L raised at 7.1K , any danger for stock rod bolts ?

Since my ecu upgrade has raised rev limiter to 7100 - 7150 ,i've revved the car at 7100 - 7150 for only 4-5 times , is this enough to weaken stock rod bolts and cause future failure ?

Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
7150rpm is a good limit and should be enough for a stock engine, dont rev it into rev limit in 1.gear and low gears...(overshoot)

Old 07-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Hi Winni , Thanks for your replay , yes 7150 is good and i revved car to those rpms in 2 times in 3rd gear , 1 time in 4th and 1 time in 6th to test top speed (212 MpH when i bump in to rev limiter in 6th).I'm only worried about some i've read in internet about the risk to raise rev limiter over stock 6750.I post the discussion that worried me from "RENNSPORT"this is in a good english ):"Porsche utilized smaller, lighter rods in the 3.6 litre engines for internal clearance and to save reciprocating weight and they continued using the 9mm rod bolts from the 3.2 Carrera and 3.3 Turbo. When operating these engines above 6800 RPM or for extended periods of time, we have seen failures of these critical bolts with catastrophic effects. To that end, we strongly recommend either limiting maximum RPM to the Factory fuel-cutoff at 6750 RPM or installing stronger rod bolts such as ARP or Raceware ones.Aftermarket racing rods like Pauter Engineering or Carillo ones are highly recommended as well. If you install a performance chip, make sure that the stock rev limit has not been altered unless the rods and/or bolts are upgraded." "We can also update US programming to real European RS specs (the cars we did not get over here) or beyond. We leave the stock rev limiter alone given the weakness in the OEM rod bolts. If you install ARP, Raceware rod bolts, or aftermarket rods such as Pauter or Carrillo rods, GIAC can raise it anywhere you like. Full race versions and race-gas-only versions are available." What do you think about?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
rod`s goes down with detonation and to much torque, anything over 1,4bar with US 93 or Euro 98 Oktan isnt good for stock rods and engine. (but some guys do it...but with better fuel)

a high rev limit is dangerous if you overrev in low gears. especial in 1.gear;

with datalog you can see it.....

(this is more dangerous for lifters and valvetrain....)

7150 is for my undestanding enough, if you dont have a gear dependend rev limit. (only epl can do a flash with a gear depend revlimiter)

what i am looking for is gear depend rev and boost, to became a usable 1.gear....smile

Old 07-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Yes but the problem who someone talking about affect Rod Bolts , not rods.
It seems that stock Rods are ok for some more rpm like 7100 - 7200 , but stock Rod Bolts are not because they are weakness and they can damage and fail under the the inertial force - inertial load cause by the extra RpMs.
Sure i hope this is not true.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
You need to be concerned with your lifters, not your rod-botls.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:56 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by divexxtreme
you need to be concerned with your lifters, not your rod-botls.
^^^^ +1000000!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:23 AM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by emadelta86
^^^^ +1000000!!!!!!!
We are all only allowed +1, its the limit. Unless you are Chuck Norris.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kwei
We are all only allowed +1, its the limit. Unless you are Chuck Norris.
Or maybe Jackie Chan?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
you can get some problems at high revs at the crankshaft, that came from the dual mass flywheel (vibrations).....i would recommend Singlemass Flywheels at high revs....the dualmass FW can produce resonances and is outperformed at high power applications.shure you have to pay with noises at low rpm...but you gain in accelaration at low gears ....like a lot hp at the crank....

Old 07-23-2011, 11:48 AM
You need to be concerned with your lifters, not your rod-botls.
I hope you're right but the problem is that a potential lifter failure is a problem that i can $ handle, instead of potential rod bolts failure with consequential rod escape and hole in the block ...i can't $ handle this.
Stock rod bolts are "stretch to torque". Read this as a disposable rod bolt. The bolts are torqued into their plastic deformation and any more distortion of them WILL cause more plastic deformation.
The problem is that when a material is over stressed, it becomes permanently deformed, losing some of its elastic properties, failure soon rears it ugly head ,this means that the bolts will permanently take an additional stretch which means your clamping load is reduced and the rod nut's preload torque is reduced.
The common failures will be a spun rod bearing or a thrown rod.

So the question is : can this happen revving the car to 7100 - 7150 rpm only sometimes ?