996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

porsche back to racing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 10:08 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
porsche back to racing

http://www.penskeracing.com/news.asp?chaid=81070

New Porsche Prototype Racing Program Announced for North America

Penske Motorsports to Partner in Campaigning New Factory-Built Porsche Racecars

ATLANTA, GA, April 15, 2005 – In response to increasing customer demand and to raise the excitement level in American sports cars racing, Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), and Porsche Motorsport North America (PMNA), today revealed they will embark on a new racing program created for customers in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS). The two organizations have commissioned their parent company, Porsche AG, to design and construct a racecar that will be eligible to compete in the LMP2 (Le Mans Prototype 2) class of the ALMS. It will be the first purpose-built Porsche factory racecar since the 1998 Porsche 911 GT1.

Penske Motorsports, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Racing, Inc., will field the new Porsche prototypes in their first full season of competition exclusively in 2006. One of the world’s most successful racing organizations, Penske Racing has a rich racing history with Porsche highlighted by winning championships in the 1972 and 1973 SCCA Can-Am series campaigning the legendary Porsche 917/10 and 917/30 race cars. It is anticipated Penske Motorsports will debut the new Porsche prototype at the final two races of the 2005 ALMS season, the Oct. 1st Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta and the Oct. 16th season finale at Laguna Seca, as test events before entering the entire 2006 season.

“Our American racing customers have made it clear to us that they would like to move up several levels in ALMS competition, as would we,” said Peter Schwarzenbauer, PCNA President and CEO. “We believe this new Porsche prototype program will provide the perfect means to do so and will generate added enthusiasm for sports car racing in America, especially with Penske Motorsports as our partner and initial entrant.”

Porsche’s current ALMS customer program, administered by PMNA, is confined to the GT2 (formerly GT) Class, where Porsche customer teams have captured a record 47 victories resulting in Manufacturers Championships in five of the past six seasons primarily racing variants of the production-based Porsche 911 GT3. It is the latest in more than 30 years of highly successful North American Porsche customer racing programs that have featured such famed Porsche racecars as the 934, 935 and 962.

“PMNA is fully committed to provide the same level of customer support for this new ALMS prototype program once it reaches fruition,” commented PMNA President, Uwe Brettel. “Indications are there is real interest in a racecar such as this for the LMP2 class.”

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga., and its subsidiary, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., are the exclusive importers of Porsche 911, Boxster and Carrera GT sports cars and Cayenne sport utility vehicles for the United States and Canada. A wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche AG, PCNA employs approximately 250 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 205 U.S. and Canadian dealers. They, in turn, provide Porsche owners with best-in-class service.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:15 AM
Banned for Life
Cole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the rough
Awesome.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
'Bout time!

Old 04-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Cole_21
Awesome.
My thoughts exactly, though I wish they would go for the top ranking LMP1 class rather than the relatively empty LMP2 class. Either way its a step up but it still does not seem like they are ready to go head to head with the Audis.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:32 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, too bad it's not P1. If they do well enough in P2 maybe that will change. Kicking some Audi R8 *** would be nice someday...

Old 04-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Its possible that the lower class Porsche could still beat out the Audi's. It would not be the first time that a P2 beat a P1.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally posted by rockitman
I agree, too bad it's not P1. If they do well enough in P2 maybe that will change. Kicking some Audi R8 *** would be nice someday...
IIRC the Audi backed R8's are retired/retiring and I'll bet Joest will stay in DTM. There maybe some privateer teams running them, but I think the glory days of that car are coming to a close.

Just my opinon. Someone else chime in if you know more.

I'm sure once Rob Dyson gets wind of this, he will probably be in need of a defibrillator. CLEAR!

Old 04-16-2005, 11:20 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Finalllllllyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2005, 11:33 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Let's make a group trip up to Laguna when they come!

Old 04-16-2005, 11:56 AM
One day she will be mine.
elduderino is just really niceelduderino is just really niceelduderino is just really niceelduderino is just really niceelduderino is just really nice
Originally posted by Super D
Let's make a group trip up to Laguna when they come!
That would be cool. Cant wait, I'm going up there for the Moto GP races coming up. Going to be a blast. Anybody going?

Old 04-16-2005, 12:38 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Mike/A.W.E.
IIRC the Audi backed R8's are retired/retiring and I'll bet Joest will stay in DTM. There maybe some privateer teams running them, but I think the glory days of that car are coming to a close.

Just my opinon. Someone else chime in if you know more.

I'm sure once Rob Dyson gets wind of this, he will probably be in need of a defibrillator. CLEAR!
Audi looked around after spending hundreds of millions of $$$ in the past few years to dominate at LeMans and realized they still have to give away their US cars on factory - jiggered leases. Don't even ask about resale. So much for high-tech engineering production car mojo / racing $$$ to push the metal. Sad really, as they build such nice road sedans- just can't break the Lexus/BMW/MBZ stranglehold in the volume luxury class- always relegated to the Volvo/Acura/etc heap in the public eye it seems .

Last edited by MKW; 04-16-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Who let the dogs out...
Adrift is infamous around these parts
Maybe the seek the extra glory of an LP2 consistently beating an LP1? lol Even possible?

Who else races in LP2?

Old 04-16-2005, 03:23 PM
werksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to beholdwerksracer is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Adrift
Who else races in LP2? [/B]

this weekends ALMS race at Road Atlanta,
there are 4 P2 cars entered:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2003/event.../entrylist.pdf

at the 12hrs of Sebring, they kept talking about Mazda coming back with a P2 car, I know AER provides some engines as does Nissan.

Old 04-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
Hmmm, makes me think that if they are going to have the car on the track that quickly (by Octoer per the article) that they must have had something in progress already. Last year they did some work for the Brumos Porsche prototype which makes me wonder if they went to school on it and are now close to putting something on the track?

Anyway, 'tis really interesting and welcome news!

Old 04-17-2005, 06:38 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Ken
'Bout time!
Amen to that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: porsche back to racing