996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dog bones or toe-link kit??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:06 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Dog bones or toe-link kit??

Car is lowerred about an inch front and rear....

Do we need aftermartket dog bones or toe-links? Or both?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
They are great mods, I'd suggest it if lowered.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gmoney
They are great mods, I'd suggest it if lowered.

Can I get away with one or the other? Or do I need both?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:59 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ek9max
Can I get away with one or the other? Or do I need both?
You need the dog bones to adjust camber, and the toe link to adjust toe. So, I recommend both. If you do get the toe link, also get the locking pins to eliminate the eccentric toe adjuster.

Jon

Old 07-26-2011, 08:53 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
How are you driving the car?

If you drive only on the street, a good alignment guy can use the eccentrics to get your toe good. Pending how low the car is and how hard you drive it if you drive on track the toe could become an issue, but you have to go pretty extreme with the setup.

Dogbones should be the number one priority if you are sure you MUST upgrade them. Toe links are secondary, but you should not need both unless you are REALLY low.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:19 PM
porschetec is infamous around these parts
i dont think 1 inch lowering absolutely requires these parts.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Ok. Well hopefully the alignment guy can get them good enough. I won't be racing the car. Just on the street really

Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ek9max
Ok. Well hopefully the alignment guy can get them good enough. I won't be racing the car. Just on the street really

Chances are you'll need at least dog bones or adjustable toe links. Camber and toe move inversely with each other on the back of a 996 so sometimes you'll can get away with just adjustable toe links. Dog bones are a better solution but more expensive. Changes from stock wheel/tire width/offset also will change the alignment.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 07-26-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Do either make the suspension noisy?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:20 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Dog Bones can, especially if they are the cheap kind where the joints go bad. Toe links shouldn't make much if any noise.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:23 AM
NathanialHale is infamous around these parts
Any component with an exposed ball bearing (Which is a heimjoint) should be kept clean and inspected regularly. Good and bad heim joints fail. Keep that in mind when buying anything that has heimjoints. The better the joint, the longer it may last, but it truly does require regular inspections/cleaning.

My recommendation is just buying the GT2/3 split control arms. Sure, they're a little more expensive, but don't require the maintenance and are a much better solution, along with good quality toe links/bumpsteer kit.

Mike Kelly

Old 07-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
My car is lowered one inch on techart springs and didn't need any adjustable parts to get the alignment I wanted although I did buy a set of adjustable toe links ahead of time based on the general consensus of the board. That said, I am not running a factory alignment. My car is a street car but I like to drive it aggressively so I am running a tad more camber in both front and rear.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:00 PM
NathanialHale is infamous around these parts
The arms are on my car and I was able to get a very mild alignment of -1.2 camber on the rear. I'm not sure, but suspect that the arms are shorter than stock arms starting out. Hope that answers your question... I'm actually running -1.2 in the rear and -1.4 up front. We are primarily driving the car on the street these days, so I wanted more conservative tire wear.

Mike

Originally Posted by Addington
I was under the impression that the gt2/3 arms only ADDED camber, not reduced it? Isn't the issue with lowered cars not being able to adjust the camber low enough?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
do both, do as much as needed the first time so that you dont have to go back in again and again.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Imbjust trying to avoid suspension noises.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dog bones or toe-link kit??