996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Steering wheel vibration

Long story short, The minty 996tt that I was supposed to pick up tonight has a pretty bad steering wheel vibration at 60mph and up.

The owner swears that this is due to the rear tires being worn so badly on the insides that they are showing the cords of the tires.

Anyways, he has agreed to purchase new rear tires and get an alignment before I take the car.

My question is.... Does it make sense for the highway speed steering wheel vibration because we badly worn inside tread on the REAR tires?

Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ek9max
Long story short, The minty 996tt that I was supposed to pick up tonight has a pretty bad steering wheel vibration at 60mph and up.

The owner swears that this is due to the rear tires being worn so badly on the insides that they are showing the cords of the tires.

Anyways, he has agreed to purchase new rear tires and get an alignment before I take the car.

My question is.... Does it make sense for the highway speed steering wheel vibration because we badly worn inside tread on the REAR tires?
No.

Have the tire shop check the front tires- take them off the car, balance them, do a roadforce balance- see how the tires are.

On the alignment make sure they don't just say "It meets spec"... you want it optimized. Furthermore you want to see how bad it was before they made changes.

(FYI- I recommend almost zero toe- have them set it at the minimum of the allowable Porsche toe settings, that will fix the cording issue he had on the rears)

Ideally you would talk to the shop, so they can disclose anything they see or find, maybe evidence of something or difficulty in hitting the numbers.

Any other issue from the PPI you are having done?

A

Old 07-29-2011, 12:35 AM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Yea. I thought that steering wheel vibration is more from wheel balance in the front wheels/tires.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:53 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Wait, I am NOT saying that it the issue. I'm saying that you need to do those things FIRST before we get into what else it may be. Might fix it, might not.

It is one thing to take guesses with repairs for a car you own, but too many buyers rely on an estimate to address issues and get screwed when it turns out to be inaccurate or optimistic....

Old 07-29-2011, 12:58 AM
porschetec is infamous around these parts
the front wheels and suspension should be checked.

link to the fs ad?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:14 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Could be something as simple as it threw some front wheel weights, but I'd be reluctant to buy the car until the owner sorts it out.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Ya. I won't pick it up until it is solved. Just in case it is something else

Old 07-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Sam996TTS has a spectacular aura aboutSam996TTS has a spectacular aura aboutSam996TTS has a spectacular aura about
Steering vibration is usually from the front tires/suspension not the back. I had the same problem. In my case it was from a combination of wheel balancing AND alignment which helped a lot, but ALSO needed to replace worn shock absorber mounts and bushings (both fronts). The entire job cost me around $1400.