996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rotella t6 5w40??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Rotella t6 5w40??

Anybody using this stuff? Hear lots of good things about it.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
I run it in my p-car as well as my truck.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Any better than mobile? Oil consumption better?

Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ek9max
That's a matter of opinion; everything I read was the zddp (zinc) content in t6 was higher then M1 TDT 5w-40 so I opted for it, especially considering I use it in my truck and it is readily available at walclown.

Never had a consumption issue to begin w/but my engine is def quieter. I change my oil every 5k miles regardless of driving type/conditon. It's a diesel oil so I know it does alot better under hotter|hd conditions.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ek9max
"Consumption" ?!??!

Use 90 weight if consumption is your metric....

Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
It is excellent oil...I run it in my Harley high output motors also when I do dyno shoot outs ....I had it lab analyzed for its anti -wear properties,and it has a great package of them...But I do not know the long term effect on a catalytic converter OR if it will do damage ours in the long run???

Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Heard good things about this TD oil...about reducing IMS noise...I'm not sure who has been running it for a while though on their TT to give results...I am subscribed would like to learn more about it.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 PM
statepkt is infamous around these parts
Pretty sure running Rotella for an extended time will eat your catalytic converter. I know STi owners run that for the anti-wear properties but at the cost of the catalytic converter

Old 08-04-2011, 02:06 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bak@EMSPowered
Easy solution, get rid of the catalytic converters.
what about a CEL code? I suppose you could tune that out with a custome ECU tune though...

Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by statepkt
Pretty sure running Rotella for an extended time will eat your catalytic converter. I know STi owners run that for the anti-wear properties but at the cost of the catalytic converter

I also read about a lot of subby owners using this stuff for a long time with no issues.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:35 AM
I read that the new rotella formula Is very cat/gas engine friendly. So I decide to go for it. Engine does seem quieter

Old 08-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
I have been using it in my air cooled 965 track car. Very good Engine runs very cool even when on boost at the track.
Elliot

Old 08-07-2011, 06:57 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Turbohead
I have been using it in my air cooled 965 track car. Very good Engine runs very cool even when on boost at the track.
Elliot
5w40 in a 964? I've always heard the 20w50 V Twin was the best for those applications.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
5w40 in a 964? I've always heard the 20w50 V Twin was the best for those applications.
The theory i believe, is that the light viscosity initially minimizes wear upon cold start ups. And multi viscosity protects at higher Temps. This car does not get too hot and the 3.6 T engine has much tighter clearances than older Air cooled engines so the lighter viscosity seems to work fine . Porsche sent TB out on the use of lighter muti viscosity for later engines.

Elliot

Old 08-09-2011, 01:46 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Turbohead
The theory i believe, is that the light viscosity initially minimizes wear upon cold start ups. And multi viscosity protects at higher Temps. This car does not get too hot and the 3.6 T engine has much tighter clearances than older Air cooled engines so the lighter viscosity seems to work fine . Porsche sent TB out on the use of lighter muti viscosity for later engines.

Elliot
HI,Its not about the viscosity but the additive package of the modifiers to reduce friction in the oil that play havoc with the cats cells...If they do??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rotella t6 5w40??