996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Hood crest removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 AM
hanig is infamous around these parts
Hood crest removal

After reading every thread on the Internet regarding removing the hood crest off a 2002 996,I thought it would be an easy 5 minute job, but It didn't work out that way.My problem is that using the 8 mm deep socket to turn the speed nuts,they turn freely but don't slide down.As in they are not catching any thread and just turning in place.I tried to grab them with needle nose and pull and twist and still no go.The crest itself won't budge.Any help would be appreciated as I would like to install a new crest .

Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Try again with the needle-nose. The twisting is less important than the pulling. (The posts on the badge aren't really grooved.) If your new crest came with replacement nuts, then you have nothing to worry about pulling off the existing ones. Just give them a firm tug. (I set myself up for the next post with the joke. )

Old 08-09-2011, 09:02 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
try lifting/pulling the crest as you unscrew the nuts

Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Same boat here...can't seem to get a firm enough grip on the nuts (insert joke here) to tug them out (insert 2nd joke here).

Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
buzzm's tip of lifting the crest as you turn the nuts with the socket is the trick...otherwise the nuts just turn in place...only takes a little bit of pressure...also helps to position the trunk lid in a horizontal position...this allows easy access to the crest for applying upward pressure and will also keep the nut from falling inside the trunk lid

Old 10-17-2011, 01:05 PM
hanig is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
buzzm's tip of lifting the crest as you turn the nuts with the socket is the trick...otherwise the nuts just turn in place...only takes a little bit of pressure...also helps to position the trunk lid in a horizontal position...this allows easy access to the crest for applying upward pressure and will also keep the nut from falling inside the trunk lid

Exactly right,that is what worked for me ,I slid a thin plastic card,I think it was my Kroger card,between the crest and the hood,and with just a slight upward pressure,the speed nuts will catch the thread and unscrew.Not sure what the Porsche engineers were thinking when they came up with the speed nut idea.

Also,If you will be using a different crest,like the silver ones being sold,it will be a challenge to get it to fit the gasket properly to reinstall.

One more thing,DONT OVER TIGHTEN the speed nuts ,the crest will bend.

Good luck.