996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help: 996tt or B5 S4 w/770's? What to do..........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HealthInsXpert

Also, just so I don't look like a liar I was a few HP off. My car made 387hp and 406tq last year on STOCK intercoolers. I'm attaching a pic of the Dyno sheet from EPL (a mustang dyno)
I am not familiar with Mustang dynos, here in Europe MAHA is the way to go if you want a close to reality result.

How about your IATs? Did you log them? In my RS4 when it is around 15 celsius deg outside I get as high as 65 celsius deg in my intake.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Don't have a log of the IAT's. But I think most folks would tell you that Mustang dyno's have about a 10% power loss if not a little more. So I figured I was pretty close to 400.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 AM
PKmode is infamous around these parts
Hey guys. Some of the B5S4 guys will recognize my handle as I've been in that scene for a long time.

I'm looking to make the move myself. While I absolutely love my GT25'd B5S4, it only seems logical to step into a modded 996TT.

I agree with others that the Porsche interior is not quite as well laid out in terms of ergonomics and isn't as pleasing to the eye. Additionally, I agree with Dr. Jekyll and love the wolf in sheep's clothing appeal and being able to be relatively low profile. While I’m not in LA or Miami; Milwaukee still has plenty of nice cars but a 996T will still draw some attention.

That all said, it is obvious that one car is a true sports car and the other is a sports, luxury sedan. As we know, a properly modded B5S4 can lay waste to a number of sports cars (lightly modded 996TTs included). But just because it has some power doesn't mean it is in the same realm as the P-car.

Ultimately, as the both become older, you’re going to have maintenance costs. My B5s haven’t been as cruel to me as others but it isn’t cheap. Seriously though, the Porsche has its own regular maintenance costs as well and they are more expensive than Audi parts.

Sql_pl: Nice stable of vehicles (two perfect choices IMHO). I wish there were more available state-side. Just as an FYI: stock for stock, RS4 SMICs aren't much better in terms of flow or IATs than OEM S4 SMICs. It is certainly believable his car made the numbers (at least once). The OEM RS4 SMICs are not even an upgrade in my opinion and I bought a set for my first B5S4. Performance gains were minimal and as you add more boost, they get worse. ER SMICs have the best proven results, AWEs perform well also.

Anyways, I'll be lurking the forums and making the step into a 996TT eventually. I’d like to get a stg3 B5S4 Avant down the line for a DD/winter beater and keep the Porsche as the fun car. That is my ideal stable at the moment.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:02 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Just like the others have told you the 996tt is a far superior platform, both stock and modded.

I still have a warm fuzzy spot in my heart for the 2.7 and I got an allroad a few years back that I still use as a snow beater.

Skip cars on autotrader, and get one that has mods on it from a 6speed member. It will save you a bundle in the long run.

Tom

Old 08-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
I've always liked the B5 S4 and especially the things EPL is able to do with them with the Tial kits. It sounds like you are concerned with the value aspect of the car as well as power, much like myself. I've built alot of fast cars and it really hurts to sell them for pennies and start again. With a 996tt its sort of like that but not, a turbo 996 will hold value when buying now. It's also a "keeper" car in my book that you can mod, put money into and its still a cool car in 2 years, and it's still a cool car in 5 years etc..... design is timeless and you never get tired at looking at modded 911tt, I can't tell you how many people ask me if its a 2010 or 2011 LOL. S4 is an awesome car but it's not in the same category as a turbo 911, even with stock 996tt being slower then your S4 ..... i would prefer the platform to the S4 any day.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I had a stage 3 S4 and it was a fun car...Until it began the spendy maintenance cycle that never seemed to end. It was a great car and suddenly it was something new broken every week. The biggest issue with the car is heat under the hood. The airflow just isn't effective enough to keep things cool. This bakes all of those sensors and causes them to fail.

As for the cost of upgrades goes, you might as well give up on ever getting mod money back out of a car when you sell it unless you return the car to stock and sell all of the aftermarket parts. Even them you will be lucky to get it back. And the labor is all a loss though. Just count on mods as an investment into your own fun and entertainment.

I personally thing the best bang for the buck is the 996TT due to the value the car will likely hold in the future. And for the price you will spend on a properly modded Tial installation and supporting internal upgrades on an S4 you can have a 996TT that will walk away from almost any S4.