996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Strange skipping feeling with brakes when hitting a pothole?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Strange skipping feeling with brakes when hitting a pothole?

2002 - 996tt

I'll try to explain this as best I can.

When I am braking and happen to hit a bump in the road, the brakes feel like they skip, like there is a soft spot or lack of fiction for a brief moment. It occasionally happens when going down the curb backing out of the drive way as well.

The 60k mile server was just completed 1k ago, which included brake fluid change, etc.

Has anyone experienced this or have an idea of what it may be?

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Hey there, mine does the same thing...always just assumed it was the abs kicking in when it percieves a lack of traction as the wheel slips following contact with the pothole/bump. It is the exact same feeling I get when I brake at just the right time while rolling over sand in the road, or some other debris that causes a loss of traction.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 AM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
yes it's the abs... took my car to the dealer, went on a test ride, and thats what they said it was...

Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
damn abs is sensitive as all hell! Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:54 PM
TimAZ has a spectacular aura aboutTimAZ has a spectacular aura aboutTimAZ has a spectacular aura about
You will get that feeling if and when you put the car on the track. "Scott" or I will get you there to find your grip level. Do you track your car?

Tim

Old 08-10-2011, 02:31 PM
bng4god has a spectacular aura aboutbng4god has a spectacular aura about
EXACT same feeling...

So funny! I just got my 03 996TT and it was one of the first things I noticed about it. I assumed that this is the "input" racing enthusiasts describe from braking and handling as it is more sensitive compared to other cars.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
i recently went to the track on street tires, and my rear end just didnt like it. when i turned it would kick out and psm would interupt the throttle and cut out the power for a second. so intrusive and it really upset the balance of the car.. i dont feel comfortable turning psm off just yet at the track..

im pretty sure that would fix the issue i have or get some tires better suited for that kind of driving..

had the car on hoosiers before that and the levels of grip was insane! made me realize how much difference the right tire make

Last edited by porka; 08-10-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by porka
i recently went to the track on street tires, and my rear end just didnt like it. it would kick out psm would interupt throttle and it would cut out the power for a second. so intrusive and it really upset the balance of the car.. i dont feel comfortable turning psm off just yet at the track..

im pretty sure that would fix the issue i have
I think you'll ease into it pretty easy with PSM off. The car is still very planted with it off. I remember a similar situation where doing long curved turns in my m3 with DSC on, it would kick every second, like a pulse, it was pretty darn annoying.