996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Car sputtering and running RICH on 2 cylinders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:58 PM
hasauto is infamous around these parts
Car sputtering and running RICH on 2 cylinders

Well one of my colant hoses blew off on the dyno so i sent my car to my buddies shop to bleed the system since i dont have the snap-on tool... He also changed my MAF sensor that he said went bad (and was codeing)

let the garage, car was running great for about 1-2 hour then it starting running rough at idle and studdering a little while excelerating...

At adle the right rear tail pipe is smoking black,,, and if I give a little gas it gets even worst...
I have no codes so dont really know where to start looking

Car has k24 turbos, fabspeed exhaust, Evoms intake and a 5bar... with a Unitronic tune 1.1 bar

What i dont get it why is it only one exhaust (3cylinders) running crazy rich??? fauled plus, jammed open injector??
Any idea?
thanks

Last edited by hasauto; 08-12-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
well if it was before you made any changes( maf) then maybe its the parts he put on...
did you just put on a lit or something else and tried to dyno?
No offense but who/what is unitronic? I seen issues with some unknown tuning programs as well...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Well not sure it's the tune since it running on many of my friends with no issues.... Is it possible that a vacume came off??? What's a lit? What I don't understand is why is only one exhaust side running rich, and not both!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hasauto
Well not sure it's the tune since it running on many of my friends with no issues.... Is it possible that a vacume came off??? What's a lit? What I don't understand is why is only one exhaust side running rich, and not both!
simple solution.... flash it back to stock... I have seen nightmares...
here is one we received after a client had CEL and other issues...

click to view

Old 08-13-2011, 06:04 AM
I don't have the software to flash it back to stock

Old 08-13-2011, 05:52 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
with stock k24 and 1,1 bar you dont need a 5bar fpr.. ..at this point try at first a stock 3,8bar fpr and stock file...maybe before you do that you should analyse with durametric the valvetronic regulation , lambda value.....

with remote flash one of the good 911tuner can give you a stock file...

Old 08-13-2011, 06:27 PM
So you guys really think its a computer related problem? I just find it mysterious that it was running fine for a while then outta know where this problem!
Thanks

Old 08-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
I would look at the last upgrade you did and verify everything is ok with it and also check on Durametric to verify fuel trim, Lambda readings and other things to confirm everything is working properly.
thanks

Old 08-15-2011, 05:19 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Last week my car was sputtering BADLY, and when I say badly I mean it was like it wanted to stop....huge misfires and backfires....this was happening at around 3k rpm on mid throttle-mid boost.....

Well....the damn MAF was the issue...Dave at EPL suggested me to try and drive with the MAF unplugged. It ran much better. I threw in a new MAF (I had a 986 MAF laying around) and now it runs silky smooth.....

The funny thing is it didn't throw ANY codes before....no lights on the dashboard...nothing...but the MAF was faulty nevertheless.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by emadelta86

Well....the damn MAF was the issue...Dave at EPL suggested me to try and drive with the MAF unplugged. It ran much better. I threw in a new MAF (I had a 986 MAF laying around) and now it runs silky smooth.....
looks like your running some big turbos... Its usually a matter of time... but then a few here and there get lucky.... I had a client with the same turbos and same tune, we swapped the4 MAF and problem went away...

mark

click to view

Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
looks like your running some big turbos... Its usually a matter of time... but then a few here and there get lucky.... I had a client with the same turbos and same tune, we swapped the4 MAF and problem went away...

mark
You know what, it did it from day one after the mods, but at first I could barely feel a little "dip" in the power band.....it got worse with miles pretty quickly...

It was scary...I could hear turbos spooling up and down with the engine sputtering and spitting fire....what a horrible feeling...

Being sure that there are no air leaks it's very important though....as you can go look somewhere else like in my case...