996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rev issue: Hit 0.7 bar but not rev over 5Krpm in all gears...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 AM
boyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really nice
Originally Posted by vr4henry
Sounds like my car before I replaced plugs/coils (replaced coils with 997 replacement part#).
Opps really? Hows was your car behave Henry?

Old 08-19-2011, 03:45 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
I could drive around fine but if I started going 50%+ throttle the car would break up and start popping. Also didn't want to rev past 5k or so.
Plugs were due for a change and the old style 996 coil packs (4 of 6) had small cracks.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:03 PM
boyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really nice
I could drive around fine but if I started going 50%+ throttle the car would break up and start popping. Also didn't want to rev past 5k or so.
Plugs were due for a change and the old style 996 coil packs (4 of 6) had small cracks.
Looks very similar to mine then, seems like coil packs is a must to replace...Thanks.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:18 AM
nosatalian is infamous around these parts
Yeah, coil packs dude

Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 AM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Also I used Bosch FR6LDC plugs.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Also I used Bosch FR6LDC plugs.
Yes, I am on the same plugs too.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Another update, CEL came on today, should have code giving me some hints now, so is bad coil packs through CEL anyway?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 AM
sweeney186 is infamous around these parts
bad coil,damaged/wrong gap plug should come up as a misfire code

Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Seen P0175 after code check, clear the CEL now and car runs better, no missfire codes present.

Besides, have found there is oil leak coming from the lower hose of right intercooler, suppose oil leak is equal to having air leak there too right?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Wish they could resolve my issue...

Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boyg
Seen P0175 after code check, clear the CEL now and car runs better, no missfire codes present.

Besides, have found there is oil leak coming from the lower hose of right intercooler, suppose oil leak is equal to having air leak there too right?
Oil in the hose usually means one of 3 things... turbo leaking thru gasket- need a turbo... the check valve above turbo is busted, or someone overfilled oil when it was changed and the oil will find the least resistant path to escape...

You need someone that has experience inspecting... pressure testing etc... not just a parts changer...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 PM
Bux996tt is infamous around these partsBux996tt is infamous around these parts
Your code will probably come back after four heat/cool cycles. I think the MAF is going to be the culprit.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
As Mark said about oil in pipes.
however in your case, what I would say is that to a person who has little experience of these cars and in general turbo cars there is a difference in a lot of oil in the pipe or just a very small amount.
A lot does indicate a more serious problem But Turbos do not 100% seal against oil. over time oil does accumulate in small quantities in the pipes. AS the turbos get older they do let more oil past the seals.
what I'm trying to say is at first glance don't panic about oil on the pipe. You really do need some one with experience to take a look and see if its a real Turbo oil problem or just long term seepage.
If you can pop the hose off and take a close up picture of the inside of the pipes.

As to your 5k problem, well you have said you have changed out the plugs, but what you didn't tell us all is what gap you set them at.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:46 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
failures like this could have many sources

ignition: spark plugs or coils......issue is when boost ore torque comes into play

boost leak.....issue low boost or with big leak cel and no power

fuel pressure....issue most under boost

maf.....issue hesitation at acceleration/disconnect maf and try it again

you have to check all systematic with durametric and a little test equipment before you change parts/ LOOK AT LIFETIME DATA/LOG File durin
g failure
only sometimes you find exotic failures like worn cats/def ecu`s......

Last edited by winnigt2; 09-01-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
As Mark said about oil in pipes.
however in your case, what I would say is that to a person who has little experience of these cars and in general turbo cars there is a difference in a lot of oil in the pipe or just a very small amount.
A lot does indicate a more serious problem But Turbos do not 100% seal against oil. over time oil does accumulate in small quantities in the pipes. AS the turbos get older they do let more oil past the seals.
what I'm trying to say is at first glance don't panic about oil on the pipe. You really do need some one with experience to take a look and see if its a real Turbo oil problem or just long term seepage.
If you can pop the hose off and take a close up picture of the inside of the pipes.

As to your 5k problem, well you have said you have changed out the plugs, but what you didn't tell us all is what gap you set them at.

The oil in the hose found is actually is a small amount, my workshop told it looks normal in turbo cars and the amount doesn't look like the turbo value is leaking, they have checked the value today.

For the plug gaps, they never told me they did measure when installing the plugs, I did own some more performance cars like M3, but I never have this concern and it ran fine, doesn't it specific important on the flat 6 engine? Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev issue: Hit 0.7 bar but not rev over 5Krpm in all gears...