996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo S, where is the non-turbo power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Sam996TTS has a spectacular aura aboutSam996TTS has a spectacular aura aboutSam996TTS has a spectacular aura about
Turbo S, where is the non-turbo power?

OK, I hate to say it, but I am a little disappointed with my newly acquired Turbo S tip. When I floor it and the Turbo kicks in and I get 0.7-0.9 boost, yes, the car is a super rocket. No complaints there.

BUT.... under normal street driving, the car is NOT as responsive as I'd expect. For a quick burst of acceleration (e.g. to pass a car), I'd have to push down the gas pedal quite a bit (like 3-4 inches) then a second later I start to feel some mild acceleration. Sometimes it downshifts and it's a bit better. In contrast with my other cars ('06 BMW Z4 3.0si and 06 BMW X5 4.8is), just the slightest touch of the gas pedal makes the car "go"; responding immediately with power and acceleration, no questions asked. Passing cars is immediate and effortless. The Turbo S only Wows me when turbo kicks in, otherwise in-gear acceleration in the 1800-2400 RPM range is underwhelming.

My Porsche workshop test drove it and said power and acceleration is normal.

Do I need to adjust my expectations?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Arnie1 has a spectacular aura aboutArnie1 has a spectacular aura about
I agree I went from a normal 2003 turbo stick to a 2005 turbo S stick and they do accelerate differently. i was told it was due to the difference in the turbos. The power comes on higher in the power band.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
possible to fix / adjust with a reflash or intake pipes?

Old 08-13-2011, 08:12 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I always down-shift (just press "down" in D mode) whenever I want to pass a car. Instant power right away.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:54 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Turbo S or Z4...... Z4 or Turbo S hmm just cant decide.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:46 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
To the OP, you have tranny lag and Turbo lag to deal with. The response will never be as good as an NA car but can certainly be better. ECU tuning and exhaust will improve it greatly!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:51 PM
boyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really niceboyg is just really nice
The throttle is lazy, flash is a must...

Old 08-13-2011, 11:13 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Very interesting that you posted this today as I just finished reading the latest issue of excellence where they reviewed some "well bought" 996TT's. The 996TT X50's and S's are known for having a little more lag than the base early TT's.

Quote: "While later cars with the X50 Powerkit and the 05 Turbo S offered 450hp, many who know the 996 turbo prefer the early 415 hp cars for their minimal lag and wonderful real-world performance."

Jason

Old 08-13-2011, 11:56 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
If you think turbo lag is bad on the TT, you should try flooring a STI/Evo on the freeway.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
A flash and exhaust will really wake up your car. A stronger wastegate spring will also help once you're flashed and exhausted. Additionally, tuners can change the way the engine responds to gas pedal movement. I bet that would really help with a tip.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Sam996TTS has a spectacular aura aboutSam996TTS has a spectacular aura aboutSam996TTS has a spectacular aura about
Okay, so based on the responses, it seems what I describe is in fact normal. Well it's good to know there's nothing wrong with the car. Guess my expectations were raised with all the online articles and you-tube reviews of the Turbo where they all talk about amazing "instantaneous" power across the rev range. Maybe it's much more true for the Turbo vs. Turbo S. Or maybe my 265hp Z4 and 355hp X5 4.8is ain't bad after all

But here's the thing, even if you take the Turbos out of the equation, it's basically a C4S - same engine with, what, 320 hp(?) and still plenty of torque. Should still be fast and responsive even without turbo/turbo lag. I don't know.

An ECU flash is definitely tempting!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sam996TTS
OK, I hate to say it, but I am a little disappointed with my newly acquired Turbo S tip. When I floor it and the Turbo kicks in and I get 0.7-0.9 boost, yes, the car is a super rocket. No complaints there.

BUT.... under normal street driving, the car is NOT as responsive as I'd expect. For a quick burst of acceleration (e.g. to pass a car), I'd have to push down the gas pedal quite a bit (like 3-4 inches) then a second later I start to feel some mild acceleration. Sometimes it downshifts and it's a bit better. In contrast with my other cars ('06 BMW Z4 3.0si and 06 BMW X5 4.8is), just the slightest touch of the gas pedal makes the car "go"; responding immediately with power and acceleration, no questions asked. Passing cars is immediate and effortless. The Turbo S only Wows me when turbo kicks in, otherwise in-gear acceleration in the 1800-2400 RPM range is underwhelming.

My Porsche workshop test drove it and said power and acceleration is normal.

Do I need to adjust my expectations?
All turbo car experience poors performance off boost as they are running a low compression ratio to deal with the high compression ratios presents with the Turbo(s) spool up. Turbo lag is also present in varying degress. The bigger the turbo (K-24) build more but slower than smaller (K16) but top out with more boost. Hybrid turbos help solve some of this problem with some trade offs. A flash, (the cheapest solution) gets you into the proper rev rages quicker but you still have to deal on the turbo lag from the low rpm area. A flash will also give you 1.1-1.2 bar boost, required new DV, and drain you gas tank quickly.

The old school solution is to downsift before you need the power. Keep the revs about 4K and have the turbo spooled up and ready to go.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 AM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Not same eng at all C4S and Turbo or Turbo S. Your car has the Metzer (sp)? and or aka GT1 block that can safely handle much more pwr hp/tq than the NA eng. Your modding to fit your desires are very available, just go with the right tuner/shop.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Sam ... you can test drive a 996TT Non-S anytime you want .. LOL

Old 08-14-2011, 08:55 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
All turbo car experience poors performance off boost as they are running a low compression ratio to deal with the high compression ratios presents with the Turbo(s) spool up. Turbo lag is also present in varying degress.
^This.

The 996TT's compression ratio is 9.4:1. Off-boost performance will be relatively lazy.

OP, is some form of an auto tranny a must? If so, someday, you might want to test drive a 997.1 C2S w/ PDK to see if you like its responsiveness more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo S, where is the non-turbo power?