996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Mobile 1 5w40 TDT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:17 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
lots of debate over zddp and cats, turbo diesel oil vs. synthetic non TD oils etc...etc...

I still have no idea what to run in my car...after all this I think I'm more confused then when I started

Old 08-15-2011, 05:22 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sunir
lots of debate over zddp and cats, turbo diesel oil vs. synthetic non TD oils etc...etc...

I still have no idea what to run in my car...after all this I think I'm more confused then when I started
I've determined the oil debate is kinda like iphone vs android, pc vs mac, coke vs pepsi, boxers vs briefs...

Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Found this but the TDT is not on there that I can see. Think some debate as to if the truck and SUV is same stuff. I have no clue bout that. Ur right the delvac 1 is pretty potent regarding Z,P, and detergents as is the rotella, and Motul 300. The M1 0w40's look like crap as expected from all the accusations. I gather the ZDDP and detergents are bad on the cats and may be something for the no cats guys? I'm running cats now but shouldn't be by mid fall. I prefer my TT motor to be as protected as possible. I'm pretty new to the oil debate and still gathering info. The rotella seems to be pretty sweet stuff given availability and cost

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
I'd love to see a report showing the ZDDP content of Delvac 1 being lower than TDT.

Everything I've seen shows D1 with more ZDDP.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
is there a non diesel synthetic oil that we can run with the desired zddp and detergent and chemical package which will not be bad on cats and STILL be great for the engine and have the recommended viscosity available??

That would be the perfect answer I think...

Old 08-15-2011, 06:06 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pumptech
Found this but the TDT is not on there that I can see. Think some debate as to if the truck and SUV is same stuff. I have no clue bout that. Ur right the delvac 1 is pretty potent regarding Z,P, and detergents as is the rotella, and Motul 300. The M1 0w40's look like crap as expected from all the accusations. I gather the ZDDP and detergents are bad on the cats and may be something for the no cats guys? I'm running cats now but shouldn't be by mid fall. I prefer my TT motor to be as protected as possible. I'm pretty new to the oil debate and still gathering info. The rotella seems to be pretty sweet stuff given availability and cost
Keep in mind our cars were made back when the M1 0w40 had much higher levels of ZDDP. So, we're just trying to get an oil that has a ZDDP content similar to what was available 10 years ago.

I think up to 1700 ppm of zinc would be fine for our cats. And if not, I'd rather replace my cats (with a europipe!) than my motor.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:09 PM
is there a non diesel synthetic oil that we can run with the desired zddp and detergent and chemical package which will not be bad on cats and STILL be great for the engine and have the recommended viscosity available??

That would be the perfect answer I think...
No, because the EPA doesn't want you to do that!

Keep in mind the diesel oils ARE approved for use in gasoline engines. Mobil will tell you that in writing.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:16 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Old 08-15-2011, 06:21 PM
I think the listing is a bit old, the Delvac 1 looks like the old formula. It's now called Delvac 1 ESP.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:41 PM
I figued it may be with no TDT either. And amsoil has lot more stuff out

Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
And if not, I'd rather replace my cats (with a europipe!) than my motor.
That is pretty much how I feel about it, having to replace cats over the motor seems like the logical lesser of the two evils.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hey guys,,That oil chart is pretty close to my info that I have collected over the years...I do not think that we would put enough miles on on autos and the way our motors are built with tight specs,so less blow by >> That we would have to worry about the cats getting ruined...IMO...Also I do not think we should not get caught up on oils that are only a few hundred parts more then another oil once you already have enough in the oil already....With out getting into it,there is more to it then just that additive....Lets face it,,,we change our oil more then most other car owners do............Just my thoughts.....

Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 PM
ra996tt is infamous around these parts
I switched to TDT and oil consumption is lower as well as the comfort of knowing that the HTHS is like 3.8 which means that I can beat on the car without having to worry. Love this stuff

Last edited by ra996tt; 08-15-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 PM
That chart mentions Castrol Syntec as well...what's the word on that pick? I think the viscosity they talked about is 20/50 - do they have a Porsche recommended viscosity for our cars? Looks like they were saying the zddp and detergent and additives package are all there, and it's a non Diesel fully synthestic motor oil ....but they did put in that bit about risk to cats...

I run Diesel oil in my Dodge Cummins 2500 CTD 3/4 ton pickup truck...just a little weary running the same in the car, for some reason just doesn't seem right, my truck does not have cats from the factory and is emmsions except, it's a Cummins 24V turbo diesel with a Vp44 pump.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 PM
That chart mentions Castrol Syntec as well...what's the word on that pick? I think the viscosity they talked about is 20/50 - do they have a Porsche recommended viscosity for our cars? Looks like they were saying the zddp and detergent and additives package are all there, and it's a non Diesel fully synthestic motor oil ....but they did put in that bit about risk to cats...

I run Diesel oil in my Dodge Cummins 2500 CTD 3/4 ton pickup truck...just a little weary running the same in the car, for some reason just doesn't seem right, my truck does not have cats from the factory and is emmsions except, it's a Cummins 24V turbo diesel with a Vp44 pump.
From what I've seen Castrol UOA numbers show lower ZDDP than even M1 0w40. I've also noticed the dealer filled Castrol in my GTI has looked black and smelled burned after only 2,500 miles. I'm running Delvac in that car now as well. Holds up much better.

The new diesels do have cats, which is why diesel oils have been reformulated with less ZDDP. One such example is the new formulation of Delvac 1 ESP. ESP stands for Emmissions System Protection IIRC. Rotella T6 is also in the same boat.

Hope this info helps!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:30 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Mobil 1 0w 40w plus this:
Tech Articles

BG MOA®,
The Engine's Best Friend
View the printable pdf version Clichés survive because they are true, such as the one that says a picture is worth a thousand words. Look at the accompanying photos of the inside of a 250,000-mile engine taken out of a delivery van owned by BG distributor Tom Hickey of Tonda Enterprises, Midlothian, Virginia.
Scuff-free cylinders after 250,00 miles with BG MOA®
Tom's 1997 Dodge 250 delivery van was diagnosed with a burned exhaust valve on cylinder number five. It was found that the injector system was firing too lean, which heated up the cylinder and the exhaust valve.
Scott Allen, coowner of Bon Air Shell in Richmond, Virginia, recommended installing a new engine. But when Allen took the cylinder head off of the old engine to check his diagnosis, he was stunned to find the engine was clean and all of the lands and rings looked like new. “This, once again, proves that regular use of BG products and services really work,” Tom said.
Shock and awe
Scott, a 25-year automotive technician and a five-year BG customer, wrote in his letter to BG President Galen Myers, “I knew Tom was religious about maintenance. When we removed the cylinder head, we made a most fascinating discovery. What we found shocked us so much, we almost forgot to check for the burned valve.
“The cylinder walls showed no signs of wear. I was so amazed I got my camera and took pictures to prove that this engine still had signs of the original honing in the cylinders. There was no lip above the rings in the cylinders and no scratches or scoring at all. This engine, with the exception of the bad valve, was in the same condition as when assembled, but with 252,000 miles. A quarter of a million miles with no apparent wear. I knew BG MOA® was good, but seeing is believing.”
Tom says he has another van that has 265,000 miles on it. “All of our vehicles get the required maintenance, oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, other services are done on time or earlier. And of course, we use BG MOA® at every oil change.”
Engine stars on TV
Tom has highlighted the teardown on the weekly TV show he airs on the local Fox TV affiliate.
Like the wary scientist he is, Mike Belluomo, BG’s Product Technical Services Manager, says he has seen the pictures and the result is something expected with regular use of BG MOA,® but it is not a controlled study producing critical evidence.
Still, Mike says, fleet tests conducted by BG that duplicate the severity of use consistently show that “those are the type of results we typically expect. With proper drain intervals, BG MOA® maintains engine cleanliness and preserves the integrity of engine parts. It brings the level of protection up so it never compromises the engine oil.”
So here’s another cliché your mother may have drummed into you, “Take good care of your stuff and it will last forever.”
Top of Page

Tech Articles

BG MOA®,
The Engine's Best Friend
View the printable pdf version Clichés survive because they are true, such as the one that says a picture is worth a thousand words. Look at the accompanying photos of the inside of a 250,000-mile engine taken out of a delivery van owned by BG distributor Tom Hickey of Tonda Enterprises, Midlothian, Virginia.
Scuff-free cylinders after 250,00 miles with BG MOA®
Tom's 1997 Dodge 250 delivery van was diagnosed with a burned exhaust valve on cylinder number five. It was found that the injector system was firing too lean, which heated up the cylinder and the exhaust valve.
Scott Allen, coowner of Bon Air Shell in Richmond, Virginia, recommended installing a new engine. But when Allen took the cylinder head off of the old engine to check his diagnosis, he was stunned to find the engine was clean and all of the lands and rings looked like new. “This, once again, proves that regular use of BG products and services really work,” Tom said.
Shock and awe
Scott, a 25-year automotive technician and a five-year BG customer, wrote in his letter to BG President Galen Myers, “I knew Tom was religious about maintenance. When we removed the cylinder head, we made a most fascinating discovery. What we found shocked us so much, we almost forgot to check for the burned valve.
“The cylinder walls showed no signs of wear. I was so amazed I got my camera and took pictures to prove that this engine still had signs of the original honing in the cylinders. There was no lip above the rings in the cylinders and no scratches or scoring at all. This engine, with the exception of the bad valve, was in the same condition as when assembled, but with 252,000 miles. A quarter of a million miles with no apparent wear. I knew BG MOA® was good, but seeing is believing.”
Tom says he has another van that has 265,000 miles on it. “All of our vehicles get the required maintenance, oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, other services are done on time or earlier. And of course, we use BG MOA® at every oil change.”
Engine stars on TV
Tom has highlighted the teardown on the weekly TV show he airs on the local Fox TV affiliate.
Like the wary scientist he is, Mike Belluomo, BG’s Product Technical Services Manager, says he has seen the pictures and the result is something expected with regular use of BG MOA,® but it is not a controlled study producing critical evidence.
Still, Mike says, fleet tests conducted by BG that duplicate the severity of use consistently show that “those are the type of results we typically expect. With proper drain intervals, BG MOA® maintains engine cleanliness and preserves the integrity of engine parts. It brings the level of protection up so it never compromises the engine oil.”
So here’s another cliché your mother may have drummed into you, “Take good care of your stuff and it will last forever.”
Top of Page

BG MOA ZDDP additive

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 5w40 TDT