996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Mobile 1 5w40 TDT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:24 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Mobile 1 5w40 TDT

Just got done reading the a nice thread about the benefits of using this over 0w40 in our cars. Wondering if I can get a show of hands of those who have made the switch from 0w40 to 5w40 and have stuck with it.

Also, anyone that went to the 5w40 and decided to go back to 0w40, would be interested to hear as to why you did this as well.

For a link to the thread I am referring to, see post #11 by VAGscum in the knowledge base thread here.

Thanks guys!

Justin

Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
I switched from 5w50 M1 to 5w40 TDT, and now I'm using 5w40 Delvac 1.

The IMS noise came back at about 1k miles with the TDT (M1 5w50 and 0w40 never quieted the IMS noise). I have 2k miles on my Delvac 1, still no noise.

I'm sticking with Delvac.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:24 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
I'm using rotella t6 synthetic 5w40. Seems good for me. Engine was also quieter and oil consumption is less.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Just put in 5w40 TDT week or so back. Overall a bit quieter. If not mistaken the delvac and 5w40 TDT are same product in different bottles

Old 08-14-2011, 08:38 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pumptech
Just put in 5w40 TDT week or so back. Overall a bit quieter. If not mistaken the delvac and 5w40 TDT are same product in different bottles
It used to be the same product, but no longer.

The spec sheets on the Mobil website show they are different formulations.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:53 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Yeh after lookin around some more they are different altho not by much. Seems the TDT has more ZDDP. There is a lot of debate on a lot of forums about the differences and benefits of each. I can say i just put amsoil 10w40 in wifes clickity clackity 04 maxima with 130,000 miles and all the noise went away with exception of first 2 seconds of start up. They hv some oils specifically formulated for european cars. I think (from reading) the TDT, rotella T6 and amsoil's are the top picks. But amsoil really is supposed to be the best stuff ever

Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 PM
I'd love to see a report showing the ZDDP content of Delvac 1 being lower than TDT.

Everything I've seen shows D1 with more ZDDP.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:29 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Thanks guys, hope to hear from many more!

Paulunm, was thinking that 5w50 was going to be the way to go until I read what you had to say at the end of the rennlist thread. Not being able to get the 5w50 local is an inconvenience, but not the end of the world. If the 5w50 is going to work just as well, why bother with the hassle.

Justin

Old 08-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Trying to increase the additive pack from the 5w50, which has the same additives as 0w40. My thoughts are, less noise at idle= more additives.

The longer the noise stays quite (more miles), the better the additive package...

But I'm no engineer...

Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
From all my oil findings and having certain oils analyzed for my hot rod motocycles......5W50 does not have a better additive OR as good a package and breaks down quicker then the 5W40 truck/diesal oils...Just sharing my info.....

Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
I went to the 5w40 TDT and love it. I was a little freaked out by the pressure on first start, as it was much higher then the 0w40.

Tom

Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Why not just add ZDDP with something like ZDDPlus?
From what I have read our engines don't need the extra ZDDP and it can also lead to an early death of the cats.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:16 AM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
can anyone tell me what would be equivalent oils in germany...equivalent to the delvac or others with higher zddp?

Last edited by kkswow12; 08-15-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-15-2011, 10:43 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kwei
Thanks guys, hope to hear from many more!

Paulunm, was thinking that 5w50 was going to be the way to go until I read what you had to say at the end of the rennlist thread. Not being able to get the 5w50 local is an inconvenience, but not the end of the world. If the 5w50 is going to work just as well, why bother with the hassle.

Justin
M1 5w50 is available at my local Grease Monkey lube joint in Denver (303-680-4965). $5.99 per quart. I'm sure they could ship it to you no problem. M1 5w50 is the only other Porsche approved oil besides the 0w40. None of the Diesel truck oils are if that's important for you to stick with what's on Porsches approved list.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Approved Oils.pdf (114.4 KB, 175 views)
Old 08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by kkswow12
can anyone tell me what would be equivalent oils in germany...equivalent to the delvac or others with higher zddp?
Motul 300V has high ZDDP- and I hear it quiets the IMS noise- however I've been told since it doesn't have some of the conditioners in automotive oil, you would really want to change it at 2,500 miles.

IIRC Delvac and TDT have about 1200 ppm of zinc, and 300V has 1400 ppm...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 5w40 TDT