996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

MPG gauge acurracy with bigger injectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:03 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
MPG gauge acurracy with bigger injectors

HI Guys,,,As we all know that are cars get great milage,,,even with a flash,,,according to our MPG read out which is close if you check and do the math.....But I have noticed on my present and past Porsche with the bigger injectors installed that the map can not compensate for the different size injectors as far as those MPG readings go...Even though the tuners and my present one[EPL] said it is altered to read the right milage....Maybe some tunes are right on??.....Your dash gauge may say 20 MPG But if you do the math it is way less...I kept track of this on my 650 round trip to Ohio last week....Dash gauge said 28 mpg,straight highway driving from fill up to empty.....Doing the math it was like 21....Which is still good??.The city driving was alot more off....Just my info

Old 08-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Yeah the gauge is defiently off with injectors. I have 72# injectors and EPL tune...

I get an actual 19-21mpg on highway and the gauge shows like 26-27mpg average.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 08-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
+1
I'm very interested in this as I'm having 60 lb injectors fitted so would like to learn bit more about this.
I have also heard that the fuel gauge doesn't read correctly with less than 22 lts left in the tank, as it is controlled by the DME and not a float level. So the DME doesn't take into consideration the larger injectors.

Whats the real story with this.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
This should be fixed in your flash. I will up date both of you if its not.

Im in and out of the shop the next week or so, but please drop me a line and Ill take a look for you.

Sounds good - Im honestly not even worried about it right now. I gotta figure out the other issue, I've been working with Dave on so I can start making 10sec street passes on good boost

Once that is done I can worry about the gas gauge and the launch control file...

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi Tony/EPL,Can you get back to me about this and the data logging because as I e-mailed you,,, I am hitting 1.5 bars now in cool weather alot,,I want to be safe instead of sorry.....Thank You

Old 10-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hi Tony/EPL,Can you get back to me about this and the data logging because as I e-mailed you,,, I am hitting 1.5 bars now in cool weather alot,,I want to be safe instead of sorry.....Thank You
No need to now..lol..Thanks anyways...

Old 10-09-2011, 01:35 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I believe that EPL is the only flash maker that claims to adjust that discrepancy. My car with 60 lb. injectors shows markedly improved gas mileage. Of coure that's because the ECU doesn't know that there is more fuel going out with every squirt of the larger injectors. It only looks at pulse width and calculates based on stock injector sizing.

Hey, it must help resale value! I have a 650-700 HP Turbo that gets better than 25MPG

Old 10-09-2011, 06:18 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Its not the calculated MPG that worries me. I now have 60lb injectors as well. the problem is that not only does the DME calculate MPG is also calculates whats in the tank and tells the gauge what to read. IIRC under 22 lts of fuel in the tank then its not a direct measurement like the old fashioned fuel sender gauge. The DME as already mentioned works out from injector duty cycle and rpm how much fuel should be left in the tank and not what is actually in the tank. So therefore what your gauge reads will not be whats in the tank This worries me a little.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I use the reserve light as the final warning. When my reserve light goes off, it says the car has about 50-65 miles range, when actually it has about 15-25 miles max. range. I have to get to a gas station right away! I found out the first week I was running injectors by running out of fuel with plenty of range left on the computer. Then it happened once again a few years later, as I coasted into a gas station...If you are running injectors and the reserve light goes on, you should treat it as an alarm to get gas immediately...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 10-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Realistically, the fuel gauge on these cars sucks anyways. My understanding is that the the fuel tank on the AWD cars looks like an upside down "U" that straddles the front drive-shaft.. Sometimes I can add 5 gallons of race fuel and the gauge never moves.

You never really want to run out of gas, expecially on a turbo car. I try to never go below 1/4 tank and as mentioned by John, the low fuel light means no turbo boost. The temporary lean condition caused by lack of fuel can blow your engine.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 10-09-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:06 AM
HEY now that I have the real MPG figure with my Protomotive tune,,I kinda dont like those real numbers staring me in the face.....lol...Before I hoped and wished I got that mileage....

Old 06-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Ray_S is infamous around these parts
Unhappy

I experience the same issue with wrong mpg readout and -even worse - wrong remaining fuel level - has this issue been fixed thru a calibration in the DME to the larger injectors ( I run 997 turbo injectors) or had the instrument cluster to be calibrated?

I risk an empty tank if I would rely on the fuel gauge...

Old 06-10-2014, 03:26 AM
LuvPorsche is infamous around these parts
some tuners can recalibrate ecu to read proper MPG

Old 06-11-2014, 06:45 PM
carwash is a jewel in the roughcarwash is a jewel in the roughcarwash is a jewel in the rough
I'm curious if Maestro is able to recalibrate.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Its in the binary code... if MAestro has that mapped out sure... you just need to know the offset.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MPG gauge acurracy with bigger injectors