996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spoiler warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Mpsuk is infamous around these parts
Question Spoiler warning

Hi, im sure this subject has been covered but im accessing the site via my iphone and struggling to use search. Im going to fit a gt2 decklid tomy 996tt and heard you have to do a bit of wiring to stop the spoiler warning light coming on the dash. Any info or if someone could post a link to a previous discusion i would be grateful. Tia, Adam

Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You can buy factory plug for like $70 or hot wire it for free.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:38 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mpsuk
Hi, im sure this subject has been covered but im accessing the site via my iphone and struggling to use search. Im going to fit a gt2 decklid tomy 996tt and heard you have to do a bit of wiring to stop the spoiler warning light coming on the dash. Any info or if someone could post a link to a previous discusion i would be grateful. Tia, Adam
Disconnect the microswitches from the passenger side ram and tape them up in their released position. Be careful because if you compress them while taping them up then you will get a spoiler failure warning on the dash. Thats all you need to do. I would also recommend you disconnect the connector from the spoiler button in the dash because if you don't and then you depress it while the key is in the ignition, you will get the failure warning. Remove the horseshoe trim around the radio, pop out the spoiler switch and disconnect the connector going to it. Wrap it in some soft foam so it doesn't flop around and reinstall everything. Very simple and no need to buy any harnesses or do any complicated wiring.... This same procedure also works if you just want to disconnect the hydraulic spoiler and leave it down for good.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks for that, sounds easy. I am waiting delivery of an original gt2 deck with fan complete. Will i get a warning light with this fitted? If so how would i be rid of it? Thanks for your help

Old 08-17-2011, 02:48 PM
nj911skr is infamous around these parts
Is it possible to disconnect just the speed sensor for the rear wing and just have the wing controlled by the dash button?

Would like to lock it up for track and leave it down for highway travel. Just doing around ~80 mph on the highway anyway. Not sure if the wing does much at that speed - just adds drag.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:54 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mpsuk
Thanks for that, sounds easy. I am waiting delivery of an original gt2 deck with fan complete. Will i get a warning light with this fitted? If so how would i be rid of it? Thanks for your help
If you follow the procedure I spelled out you will get no warning....

Old 08-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by nj911skr
Is it possible to disconnect just the speed sensor for the rear wing and just have the wing controlled by the dash button?

Would like to lock it up for track and leave it down for highway travel. Just doing around ~80 mph on the highway anyway. Not sure if the wing does much at that speed - just adds drag.
Unfortunately no. The OEM spoiler is useless anyway. I can't recall where, but I read a while back that at max speed (189mph) the extended spoiler adds less than 20lb of downforce. It's not too little and has a very shallow angle of attack...

Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
Just unplug the micro switches and tape them up, I did this about a week ago and haven't seen the light since!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:42 AM
Ok, i get that. When i put on gt2 deck their wont be any micro switches

Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 AM
AspenWhite05Sti is infamous around these parts
I have unplugged and taped up the microswitches. No more spoiler warning light.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:59 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
ari was that u in prunedale wed???? near monterery

Old 08-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
No sir I was in So Cal.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 AM
GP2222 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ari
You can buy factory plug for like $70 or hot wire it for free.
Thanks. Do you know what the part number/name is for the 'factory plug'?

Old 08-19-2011, 02:20 AM
GP2222 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnselli
Disconnect the microswitches from the passenger side ram and tape them up in their released position. Be careful because if you compress them while taping them up then you will get a spoiler failure warning on the dash. Thats all you need to do. I would also recommend you disconnect the connector from the spoiler button in the dash because if you don't and then you depress it while the key is in the ignition, you will get the failure warning. Remove the horseshoe trim around the radio, pop out the spoiler switch and disconnect the connector going to it. Wrap it in some soft foam so it doesn't flop around and reinstall everything. Very simple and no need to buy any harnesses or do any complicated wiring.... This same procedure also works if you just want to disconnect the hydraulic spoiler and leave it down for good.
Mine came with the GT2 wing, but whoever fitted it didn't bother about the electricals so I still get the 'spoiler failure' warning.

Is it possible to access the micrositches without removing the decklid?
Do you have any pics on how to do it? (I'm not a car DIY expert!)

Any help appreciated.