996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

SPI E900 GTR vs. Protomotive 996 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Put them on a proper racing circuit....see who wins. Mexico runs leave out other dimesions, like turning and cornering speeds, exit speeds, braking, weight transfer etc...

hell for straight line get a job spetter turbo fox body mustang (ran high 7's to low 8's back in the day I mean years ago when that was unheard of for a 25.1.C cage in a factory unibody car well before the supras got there...dunno what's the hot lick right now though) and both of those cars would be in rear view

Old 08-23-2011, 04:02 PM
vegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sunir
Put them on a proper racing circuit....see who wins. Mexico runs leave out other dimesions, like turning and cornering speeds, exit speeds, braking, weight transfer etc...

hell for straight line get a job spetter turbo fox body mustang (ran high 7's to low 8's back in the day I mean years ago when that was unheard of for a 25.1.C cage in a factory unibody car well before the supras got there...dunno what's the hot lick right now though) and both of those cars would be in rear view
Well this porsche is running gt35's , how did you come up that it would beat the GTR on a circuit? GTR is one of the best handling cars in the world , not sure where you have been in the last 3 years

Here we go again on someone getting butt hurt about his beloved porsche line.. WE ALL know you can buy a crap-box and make it go 8's in a straight away.. that "line" has been beaten to death.. every time some one loses someone has to jump in and say for "mustang fox body"........

It was a match up between 2 modern some what exotic cars ..

Old 08-23-2011, 04:08 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vegasGTR
Well this porsche is running gt35's , how did you come up that it would beat the GTR on a circuit? GTR is one of the best handling cars in the world , not sure where you have been in the last 3 years

Here we go again on someone getting butt hurt about his beloved porsche line.. WE ALL know you can buy a crap-box and make it go 8's in a straight away.. that "line" has been beaten to death.. every time some one loses someone has to jump in and say for "mustang fox body"........

It was a match up between 2 modern some what exotic cars ..
When you assume you make an *** ummm... haha! NEVER said the Porsche would win...the GTR is formidable on the track, I've driven several including some race prepped cars, in fact I had a student a while back with a very nice one and the car was very quick. Likewise I've driven MANY fast Porsches on track, from 964 and 993 Cup Cars, and RSR to the 997 Cup.

I was not saying the Porsche would be faster nor was I saying the GTR would be...I was saying EXACTLY what I said..."PUT THEM ON A TRACK AND SEE WHO WINS" ...that way you can see which one is the truly better car in a whole package...

you ASSUMED I meant the Porsche because I own a GT2, but that was not the case....heck my race car is a touring car, it's an M3...

Old 08-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Turbo fox body = fast car in a straight line.

Modified GT-R = fast car in a straight line, around corners, when stopping, plus; with heated/power seats, power windows and door locks, touch-screen navigation, 11-speaker XM capable Bose stereo system, AWD, dual-zone automatic climate control, cruise control, speed sensing power steering, 6-speed dual-clutch manual transmission, keyless entry and start, ABS, traction control, Bluetooth wireless, and Interactive Adaptive Variable Suspension with electronic ride control.

I choose the latter, thank you.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-23-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 PM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
I can see why VEGASGTR made the assumption he did. In all honesty, I would have assumed the same. But thanks for clearing things up.

Remember one thing...The GTR's strengths is not in a straight line like the video shows, it is actually at the track around a roadcourse. Had I been a roadcourse kind of guy, I would have loved to see how the cars stacked up on a roadcourse, but I am just not.

On a side note, I am thinking it would take a GT2RS or something of that sort to compete with a GTR on a roadcourse driver for driver...

Old 08-23-2011, 04:30 PM
GTR is a great car on the racing circuit, that's why I said what I did, I would really like to see what they can do to a comparable Porsche. The Cup car would be my choice on a circuit for a unibody chassis car, but for what Scott mentioned in all the GTR has it's a great car all around no doubt...I was shocked at the threshold speeds of the GTR at both Summit Point and VIR, my only complaint is that you can really feel the weight and size of that car on track, and the driver feedback is somewhat dampened, but astonishing out of the corners and into the braking zomes, probably in my estimate (along with the Z06) the best bang for the buck performance cars out there, period!

I personally would take a Formula Continental or Formula atlantic over any of these sleds though...once you've been in a downforce car, nothing compares!!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 PM
vegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond reputevegasGTR has a reputation beyond repute
When you assume you make an *** ummm... haha! NEVER said the Porsche would win...the GTR is formidable on the track, I've driven several including some race prepped cars, in fact I had a student a while back with a very nice one and the car was very quick. Likewise I've driven MANY fast Porsches on track, from 964 and 993 Cup Cars, and RSR to the 997 Cup.

I was not saying the Porsche would be faster nor was I saying the GTR would be...I was saying EXACTLY what I said..."PUT THEM ON A TRACK AND SEE WHO WINS" ...that way you can see which one is the truly better car in a whole package...

you ASSUMED I meant the Porsche because I own a GT2, but that was not the case....heck my race car is a touring car, it's an M3...
I think we all thought you meant the Porsche would be quicker.. if you meant otherwise , then its all good !

Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
divexxtreme.. being you had the 996tt... and now the GTR.. which do you prefer? does the GTR feel exotic just driving around? the 996tt really does not feel too exotic, but I am thinking more so then the GTR... good luck with your car.. Tym builds some great cars..

Old 08-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boca996tt
divexxtreme.. being you had the 996tt... and now the GTR.. which do you prefer? does the GTR feel exotic just driving around? the 996tt really does not feel too exotic, but I am thinking more so then the GTR... good luck with your car.. Tym builds some great cars..
Hard question. I honestly don't believe either one feels particularly exotic, but the GT-R definitely garners more attention from onlookers.

Overall, I'd call the GT-R the most well-rounded car I've ever owned. But, I wouldn't say it's a 'better' car than a 911 Turbo. In some respects, it is. But in other respects, it is not.

If I have my way, I'll have another Porsche in my garage next year. Parked right next to my GT-R.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
hope to see some photos of your new GT-R

Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !

Instead of imposing your opinion about what I Porsche should do (and it is only the 3 millionth time) post here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...car-track.html

Old 08-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Interesting, but a car w/that kind of pwr..I would def brake boost. And shift right before fuel cut -50rpm.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:27 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
I have had plenty of time in both highly modded turbos and GTRs, as sporty as they are in their own unique way, you just cant help but notice that the 911 feels to change direction quicker than the GTR, maybe being the motor is in the back rather than upfront? or maybe the slight decrease in weight... Im not saying either car is better because they are both so amazing its hard to tell, but you can find one that suits your driving style. I just prefer having my motor in the rear, and a RWD option some of the time having disabled the front driveshaft gives that sporty GTx-RS feel, which just gives the car life and ability to change directions quickly on the track.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:15 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
When I sold my TT Gallardo, I was torn on what to get next. I decided on a nice modded 997 TT. I drove down to OH to drive and hopefully purchase the car with cash in hand. The car was drop dead gorgeous and very nicely modded. When I drove the 997 TT for the first time and coming from a Gallardo, it did nothing for me. I cam home empty handed.

I decided to test drive a GTR (a car I NEVER thought I would own) the next day and I bought it on the spot. I guess that oughta tell you how I felt about the GTR in comparison to the 997 TT (6speed). To me, honestly, there wasn't much of a comparison. The only feature I liked about the Turbo more was the PCCB and the way it looked, everything else (interior, handling, comfort, tranny, technology, etc.) I liked more in the GTR.

Different strokes for different folkes. At the end of the day, we buy what we like.

Now, back on topic......Brad, you ready for round 2?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
After Marksi has a look at it my friend.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SPI E900 GTR vs. Protomotive 996 TT