996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

SPI E900 GTR vs. Protomotive 996 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:54 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SCvet00
Let me rephrase my last statement so we are on the same page...

I don't think that car will beat me on the SAME setting (1.5 BAR) as last time, regardless of how much better it is driven or the type of gas it has in it from a 45-150.

Now, once you start talking 1.7 bar and 900+ whp, I am sure it will come around me before 150. If it doesn't, then Brad needs to ditch that 911 and buy a GTR and send it to SPI..
LOL ouch.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:11 PM
soloracer996TT is infamous around these parts
I like the GTR and what it can do. However, I am wondering how the reliability is when you jump the power levels up. I have talked to others and heard about blown tranny's, blown engines, etc. With a tranny costing $25k I was wondering what issues have come up with these big HP cars. I realize you have to "Pay to Play" but what is a realistic power figure to keep the car as reliable as stock? Assuming stock engine internals of course.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
I think this is going to come down to Fadi, Mark, Brad, and Scott all having a footrace to determine the winner...

Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by soloracer996TT
I like the GTR and what it can do. However, I am wondering how the reliability is when you jump the power levels up. I have talked to others and heard about blown tranny's, blown engines, etc. With a tranny costing $25k I was wondering what issues have come up with these big HP cars. I realize you have to "Pay to Play" but what is a realistic power figure to keep the car as reliable as stock? Assuming stock engine internals of course.
This is our P800 in cool conditions running a low-restriction exhaust on 93 octane:

As you can see, we have limited the torque to keep the stock rods from bending. The result is a very fun street car with a very linear power curve. Road course and drag racing usage requires additional transmission cooling and/or upgraded components to meet the goals of the client, which we realize are not all the same, so a one-on-one discussion of goals and usage is strongly recommended.

Contact me for more details.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:21 PM
soloracer996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
This is our P800 in cool conditions running a low-restriction exhaust on 93 octane:

As you can see, we have limited the torque to keep the stock rods from bending. The result is a very fun street car with a very linear power curve. Road course and drag racing usage requires additional transmission cooling and/or upgraded components to meet the goals of the client, which we realize are not all the same, so a one-on-one discussion of goals and usage is strongly recommended.

Contact me for more details.
I don't have a GTR currently but could see one in the distant future. No doubt the car is making decent power. I was just wondering what the failure points on the car are. For example, at what torque level do you see stock rods bending? What is the weakest link in the system?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
Well since the GTR is such a good road course car and I'm not a good driver, how about we hit mid Ohio Fadi. I'll drive my OLD 993 and we can run for a cnote. I'm signed up for a couple of the PCA events and the buckeye BMW one. How's that for drama Fadi. No chicken noises please.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Acropora
Well since the GTR is such a good road course car and I'm not a good driver, how about we hit mid Ohio Fadi. I'll drive my OLD 993 and we can run for a cnote. I'm signed up for a couple of the PCA events and the buckeye BMW one. How's that for drama Fadi. No chicken noises please.
That would be totally unfair.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Hehe..Opening up, Brad. I LIKE IT..

After I win in a straight line again, I'd love to give the roadcourse a try..

But just keep in mind that I have never been on a road course, or even seen one live. But who knows, If the GTR is as good as they say, maybe it will propel its way to victory even with a rookie behind the wheel..

Old 08-27-2011, 10:35 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Brad, please take the car to markski to look over and pressure test, and get your self some fresh c16, and re run, if hes running on full kill mode, you need to run on full kill mode aswell.

you 993 is ******* !!!! that thing is sick.id love to see that run the gtr on the track

Old 08-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by soloracer996TT
I don't have a GTR currently but could see one in the distant future. No doubt the car is making decent power. I was just wondering what the failure points on the car are. For example, at what torque level do you see stock rods bending? What is the weakest link in the system?
2009 GTR's have LC1 - essentially a 4500rpm "side-step-the-clutch" style launch, which can induce wheel-hop with traction control off. Broken first gear and other components in the driveline can be a result of those launches. A "stage-1" trans upgrade from us involves upgrading first gear and shaft for those wishing to launch the GTR often.

The stock VR38DETT rods will bend at 700+awtq, and that is with a perfect tune, however, instances of detonation or slamming the boost down low could make them bend at less torque. The stock pistons are cast aluminum and can fracture if the tune is too aggressive, such as high cylinder temps and/or severe knock events, which we have seen on "stock turbo record" GTR's. That is why our P600 is a simple exhaust intake and tune, and the next upgrade from there is upgraded turbos in our P800 package.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Great looking dyno Neil. What would be the 60-130 time for something like this?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by TTdude
Great looking dyno Neil. What would be the 60-130 time for something like this?
High 5's/low 6's, it is a mid-low 10 second car at 135-138 depending on conditions, on 93 octane!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:54 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
High 5's/low 6's, it is a mid-low 10 second car at 135-138 depending on conditions, on 93 octane!
That's awesome. Great job with the tuning!