996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo DIET - losing the weight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 01:03 AM
marcog is infamous around these parts
Turbo DIET - losing the weight

I'm curious as to things you guys tried (or thought of) to turn these beasts into better track cars rather than super cruisers (stock) or drag racers.

I got all the HP I need - evo stage 2 - (I'll get bigger turbos later) and a PSS9 suspension, but I got to get this thing into a lighter balanced track car to compete vs GT3s (10 of 'em), GT2s (3 of those). I got more HP than them but need more balance.

Two issues... lose weight and possibly go RWD.

Where do I get the weight off? Carbon hood/rear? PCCB? I want to keep some of the interior (weekends with gfriend), but I will rip some of it, backseats seem gone.

Also, if I unplug the front drivetrain and go RWD, does the car still balance itself? does PSM go nuts? it's so drastic, is it worth it?

Just curious as to your current thoughts .

cheers

marco

Old 04-22-2005, 07:06 AM
hhazrati is infamous around these parts
I track my TT on a regular basis. I have looked into the weight issue. Our cars at 3400+Lbs are heavy GT cruisers. There is no reasonable way to lose significant weight. I have read threads about super-light battery. CF hoods, light wheels, etc. How much do you lose with a super-light battery? 15lbs. A CF hood? 20lb. There have also been several threads about disconnecting AWD. But why would you? The weight of AWD will still be there!

The only advice I have, based on my limited track experience is: Sell your TT and buy a GT3 or GT2 OR learn to drive your TT better on the track!
Our cars are THE best compromise between a track car and a street car. I really enjoy my TT on the track and just let the faster cars go by as they please. Just remember, at any track event there are going to be ALOT more cars slower than ours.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:22 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Here is a start.......

3400 = Starting weight
-35 = Lighter wheels
-40 = swap to (2) GT3 seats
-22 = removal of rear seats
-14 = swap to CF hood
-40 = removal of carpeting
-20 = removal of spare tire
-30 = swap to lightweight battery
-7 = removal of rear wiper motor
-40 = removal of both aluminum internal bumper beams and 5mph shock absorbers
-20 = installation of lighter wwight exhaust

3120 End Result

Disclaimer: Some weights are approximate, some are dead accurate. Removal of aluminum bumper beams and shock absorbers may be hazardous to your health in a collision.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by hhazrati
..... I really enjoy my TT on the track and just let the faster cars go by as they please. Just remember, at any track event there are going to be ALOT more cars slower than ours.
I agree. There have been numerous threads on why track the cars and what cars, etc. The TT is an excellent track car - very forgiving which is its only drawback - it takes care of your mistakes. There is good and bad there. Unless you're flush, keep the car and compete against yourself trying to better your times each track event and improve your skills.

You're going to pass a lot more cars than you'll have passing you

Old 04-22-2005, 08:00 AM
marcog is infamous around these parts
thanks KPV... is the battery a pain to always maintain? add PCCB maybe (used if I can find it), and you're at GT2 curb weight... and I like the PSS9 suspension better than the OEM GT2... thanks.

hhazrati/ken... oh sure, I'm already one of the fastest in the normal PCA events, the thing is, up here, we get 24 track days a year at PCA events BUT ALSO I'm invited to 22 open track days, where the full safeties are shed and a lot more racing going on... and all the other instructors swapped out of their TTs into GT3s, even keeping a few GT2s parked last year... so I'm looking for the weight reduction in order to make some difference them since driving skills and track knowledge is really similar. we also have F360s and F360 challenge cars, and full-on prototypes on the track, some of them quite untouchable, but those GT3s are touchable, and I like the TT torque too much to swap.

BTW - any of you guys ever try Radical prototype track cars? we're thinking of getting a handful to stop trying to dual purpose these super GTs.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:14 AM
alamein is infamous around these parts
KPV - nice write up.

Isn't there further weight to be easily shed by:
1) changing out stock wing for aftermarket wing such as TechArt?
2) Titanium lug nuts - 4 lbs unsprung

Old 04-22-2005, 08:29 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by KPV
Here is a start.......

3400 = Starting weight
-35 = Lighter wheels
-40 = swap to (2) GT3 seats
-22 = removal of rear seats
-14 = swap to CF hood
-40 = removal of carpeting
-20 = removal of spare tire
-30 = swap to lightweight battery
-7 = removal of rear wiper motor
-40 = removal of both aluminum internal bumper beams and 5mph shock absorbers
-20 = installation of lighter wwight exhaust

3120 End Result

Disclaimer: Some weights are approximate, some are dead accurate. Removal of aluminum bumper beams and shock absorbers may be hazardous to your health in a collision.
two caveats, according to a lot of weighed TT results, 3400 is an aggressively low curb weight guess (most are much closer to 3500), and the seat swap should be more like 64 (120 stock seats less 56 GT3s).

Old 04-22-2005, 04:47 PM
raidentech is infamous around these parts
How about change the doors to carbon fiber?