996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dammit Effing Hell...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 02:41 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Here is some interesting info

996 606 124 00
A new version is
also available (less sen-
sitive to dirt particles)
#986 606 125 01

Old 04-22-2005, 02:53 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
or a 930 we built!

Old 04-22-2005, 02:54 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by PorschePhd
or a 930 we built!
Hehe I remember the video of that one

Old 04-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by BlackGold
Sorry for the stupid question, but what's the MAF?
Mass Air-Flow Meter (Sensor)...

MAF/MAS - It is a primary metering sensor component that detects the amount of air entering the engine. It typically sits just after the air filter intake.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:48 PM
GENERAL LEE is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Ruiner
Mass Air-Flow Meter (Sensor)...

MAF/MAS - It is a primary metering sensor component that detects the amount of air entering the engine. It typically sits just after the air filter intake.
Thanks! I am not good with the tech talk.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by sharkster

996 606 124 00
A new version is
#986 606 125 01
OK folks... here's what I found out thanks to Brian at Carslen. If you buy the new and improved MAF you need to get reprogramed with the new software update via the PTS2.... Brian will take car of it for those of you in the Bay Area.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:08 PM
rspiteri is infamous around these parts
Alex just got that thing replaced on mine yesterday. I spoke to the tech at Stevens CP and he said that he does not touch the ECU. He said when they go bad you end up burning up the CATs due the air/fuel mix being FU.

I did not know they were that tempermental however. As always you Brits always add some nice color to an otherwise common statement. Thats why you speak ENGLISH so well. It's been mastered in England for thousands of years. We Americans are still at the elementary level in years speaking english.

Always like a nice narration from a Brit.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Hehe thanks so much Robert. I do love going off once in a while. The funny thing is it's ONLY in America where people have found my stuff interesting. In England, I'm just another boring Journalist but for some reason, in the US people were so much more willing to adopt new technology (which is why I did my web site in the first place and still write for Magazines over here). I guess what I'm saying is it's thanks (or no thanks) to the Americans that I get to spout so much fluff!

I'm glad it got taken care of yesterday. So you do have the new style MAF then? It's a "Boxster" part number and is angled differently at the inlet. I'll take a pic.

PS Cats? What cats... I don't need any cats

Old 04-22-2005, 09:26 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
sharkster

Your not getting oil blowback through your air filter are you?
That kills MAF's.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by rmrmd1956
sharkster

Your not getting oil blowback through your air filter are you?
That kills MAF's.
Nopes I've checked for dat... Good idea tho

Old 04-22-2005, 09:42 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Re: Dammit Effing Hell...

One thing I hate about our TTs, GT2s etc... is the POS, cheap ***, bollocks-to-the-chopper, assanine, mother or all turd MAFs that we have. Thank you so much BOSCH for making me fork out almost 1K so dar this year just for 3 MAFs. I love you...

Yeps I've blown three of em so far this year (and my car was down for 6 weeks at that!) and I'm getting peeved with them.

Please please please please somebody make an "aftermarket" one that can take more abuse. BMWs, Supras, etc... all have "replacement kits" or of course they go to standalones and use MAP sensors instead. It's only a bit of voltage dammit but why must our MAFs be such a pile of ****?

How many of you guys have had your MAFs go out?

PS Which idiot in Germany decided to DISABLE ABS at the same time. OK fine get rid of PSM just because your POS MAF doesn't want to work anymore but are you trying to kill me by taking away ABS as well? Sheeet... Why? I tell you what Frans and Hans, on the 997TT if the MAF goes out why don't you stop the effing sun roof from opening. How about that? Or better still convescate the cup holders and jam them shut whilst disabling PASM but for pete's sake leave ABS on. We saw what happened with Johannes Van O' in my car at the shootout when you get rid of ABS for no good reason...
Alex,

Can you please tell us how you really feel?

Old 04-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold

996 606 124 00
A new version is
#986 606 125 01
I hope that isn't a direct Porsche quote. I can believe it's
a more durable MAF, but the idea that something in the
intake tract is being destroyed by dirt particles belies the
existence of an upstream filter that blocks all dirt above
a very small size. I wonder if this MAF failure syndrome can
be associated with the use of freer-flowing (more porous)
filters that may be letting some bigger stuff through?
If I truely found the MAF failing due to bombardment
or sandblasting by dirt, the first thing I'd do is eliminate
the dirt. There's much more expensive stuff to worry about
than MAFs...

Joe

Old 04-23-2005, 08:51 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
If that was the case then stock cars would show this issue. We see it on all of them, 996, 986 and TT. We also do a lot of VWs and Audis. They too suffer from the same set of problems. It is a design flaw.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Cool, so we agree. It's not dirt, it's basic frailty in the face of
simple air flow. This would mean that the harder the car is
driven, and the higher the power mods are, the sooner/more
likely it would be to damage this part, right?

Old 04-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Not really. You would think so but it is more like this. Some never fail, some do. There is only one pattern linked to airfilters and oil. It is almost a QC issue I think

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.