996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dammit Effing Hell...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 10:59 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by PorschePhd
Not really. You would think so but it is more like this. Some never fail, some do. There is only one pattern linked to airfilters and oil. It is almost a QC issue I think
I wish they would test them out beforehand you know? But that'd cost too much money and then they'd have to charge 800 bucks for that piece of ****...

Old 04-23-2005, 01:23 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
i'm a supra guy (thinking about a 996tt) - why can't you convert to MAP?

i used the Powerhouse Racing MAP-ECU (which should be car-agnostic) and, for the most part, i'm very happy with it. Remove the MAF, plug it into the wire harness, program your fuel, and you're off in less than 3 hours.

Powerhouse also workss on porsches so it might be worth a call to them to see if they've successfully used it on a 996tt. (If it does work, you might experience a nice little hp bump on the top-end since MAFs tend to be fairly restrictive.)

Last edited by carendt242; 04-23-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:33 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by carendt242
i'm a supra guy (thinking about a 996tt) - why can't you convert to MAP?

i used the Powerhouse Racing MAP-ECU (which should be car-agnostic) and, for the most part, i'm very happy with it. Remove the MAF, plug it into the wire harness, program your fuel, and you're off in less than 3 hours.

Powerhouse also workss on porsches so it might be worth a call to them to see if they've successfully used it on a 996tt. (If it does work, you might experience a nice little hp bump on the top-end since MAFs tend to be fairly restrictive.)
I know the Supra really well... and yes you can do all that stuff but you cannot just do that on our cars. The ECU is wayyyy more complex and so is the electronically controlled PSM, ABS and so on... You can run a standalone like Motec for about 8grand...

Old 04-24-2005, 07:55 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
9FF uses pressure sensing in some of their >700hp conversions and replaces MAF (on Motronic).. I know Protomotive does that too on high output 993TTs (I have it), I would guess he does it on 996 too..it should be around a couple thousand dollars to do the conversion.

Old 04-24-2005, 08:43 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
It can be done, but look at it this way. How many would really be sold at several thousand for the kit? It would take a lot of time and at the end of the day the cost to do it would go through the roof. So any justification is gone. Don't kid yourself it has and can be done.

Motec will not cost you 8K. You can expect that by the time you are done you will have 12-15K in the kit. The wiring harness we have made are 2500 alone! You would also need to run a different ABS brain(GT3cup) and several other issues that need to be converted.

Jean.
The kits I have seen from Todd still use the MAF in the TT. The one that I saw that was in the pressure side was still using the factory MAF and was blowing them as soon as it was coming up on boost. They switched it back out of stream.

Old 04-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Stephen

Yes, I was not sure Todd was using MAP on the 996TT (Motronic), since I know he worked with Motec on some projects.
I think your biggest limitation for wild hp in the Motronic kits is still the MAF though, at least this is what the Germans think, it seems like the only way around it is aftermarket EFI.. One of your new Autronic kits should be a good testing bench.

Thanks.
Jean

Old 04-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
It's a shame that we can't use the AEM.

Old 04-24-2005, 12:05 PM
karlooz is infamous around these parts
hey sharky, have you ever cleaned the maf with electrical contact cleaner. in know it's a different animal but when i installed an evo intake/cone filter, the oil in the con filter fouled the maf. a quick and easy clean of the maf and everything was alright. i am expecting maf on my c2 to get fouled too due to the evo v-flow :O

Old 04-26-2005, 12:39 AM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
I found a Bosch Part Number 0280 218 055 online for $210. Its supposed to be a direct replacement for the original 99660612400 or updated 98660612501 Porsche units.

Old 04-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
I read somewhere in this thread that the sensor has a membrane that blows. If true, and since air follows the "square law", then the absolute pressure seen between your intake and your filter is going up exponentially (squared) when you romp on it. I'd take another look at your filter and how restrictive it is with the amount of air you are shoving into that block and especially whenb you jump on it. The manufacturer should be able to provide a differential pressure curve.

I stayed at a Holiday Express last night.

Now, back to drinking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.