996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT is on its way back from EPL! Just one problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 PM
vbzatty is infamous around these parts
996TT is on its way back from EPL! Just one problem...

According to the guys at EPL, the car has a nasty habit of doing burnouts... on the freeway... when going 80-100mph. Now, in my younger years that would've evoked an immediate response of "awesome", or "wicked dude", but I recall a crotchrocket that also had a nasty habit of doing wheelies at 100mph. And I knew I was no longer young when I sold that bike because it scared the hell out of me. The car has 19" rims, I plan to throw race tires on the stock 18's for track days. Not sure of what brand rubber is on it now, but clearly it needs something stickier. So help me decide..

It is NOT a daily driver. It does not see rain, snow, etc. It is just one of many stupid fast toys (twin turbo Z06, supercharged SRT-10 Viper, Ferrari 360, etc) all of which only see 1000-2000 miles per year. So do I go with the tried and true PS2's, the new PS3's (Super Sport I believe they call them), or step up to the "track tire" PS Cup? I know PS Cup's are overkill on the road, but this whole car is overkill on the road. But at $500 per tire, I don't want to get them if they won't last me at least 2-3 years (5k-7k miles).

I also have a bunch of suspension parts ready to go on it when it comes home (TechArt coilovers, camber plates, rear toelinks and uppers arms, solid thrust bushings, Eibach sway bars) and a set of 997 Turbo brakes. They warned me with this kind of power I will need to address brakes and suspension.

Colby

Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
What all did you get done at EPL for 100mph burnouts? A tune alone wouldn't do that....

Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
There is a few +1000 whp on the forum that do not seem to have that problem,whats wrong with yours?

Old 08-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Oh no, far from just a tune. I had already done a lot to it (GT28 hybrids, IC's, plenum, piping, headers, exhaust, injectors, etc) but couldn't get the boost under control. Sent it up to them and we decided to swap out the GT28's for Tial 3076's and a few other goodies. They sent me a before and after dyno and it went from ~350rwhp to ~600rwhp. I'm guessing the problem it either the tires aren't grippy enough or the alignment has too much camber (it wanders under acceleration).

That's what I am wondering; what kind of tires are the high HP guys running to put the power to the pavement?

Colby

Old 08-24-2011, 02:12 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vbzatty
That's what I am wondering; what kind of tires are the high HP guys running to put the power to the pavement?

Colby
Are you mashing the throttle?

I've had PS2's holding upward of 700whp without a problem, could be the way I've driven though. I had to ease into boost, if I mashed it in some of my previous cars, they would go sideways when boost hit. Learned how to take it easy and still haul ***

Old 08-24-2011, 02:13 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Colby check the toe specs on the rear of the car...if it's toed out too much on the rear it will hunt back there and will cause the wandering, camber will not effect what you are feeling as much at all.

As for tires, make sure they are not worn badly or uneven and that they are not rock hard from being too old. Any normal high performance tire should work fine for you at high or low speeds without causing burnouts at 100 mph givin your power output

Old 08-24-2011, 02:23 PM
I haven't gotten the car back yet; it's getting picked up tomorrow and will be back home next week. This is the report from the EPL guys. They don't know why it's burning out either, but recommended new tires and suspension mods.

Once I put the suspension and brakes on it, I am going to take it in for an alignment and cornerbalance.

Ok, I will get a set of PS2's from Tirerack; they are on clearance!

Colby

Old 08-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh no, far from just a tune. I had already done a lot to it (GT28 hybrids, IC's, plenum, piping, headers, exhaust, injectors, etc) but couldn't get the boost under control. Sent it up to them and we decided to swap out the GT28's for Tial 3076's and a few other goodies. They sent me a before and after dyno and it went from ~350rwhp to ~600rwhp. I'm guessing the problem it either the tires aren't grippy enough or the alignment has too much camber (it wanders under acceleration).

Colby

Colby,
Tony has also done my turbo up in CT as well. With OEM tires and wheels I would struggle to put down the power, I am currently running OEM turbo wheels in 18's with Toyo R888s on (235 or 245 in front and I believe 315 in rear), with this set up I hook right up no problem. Have similar power numbers to you as well and no issues (with the right tire set up, I'd go with r888's all day, no I do not track the car, its only for the road)

Old 08-24-2011, 04:29 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't gotten the car back yet; it's getting picked up tomorrow and will be back home next week. This is the report from the EPL guys. They don't know why it's burning out either, but recommended new tires and suspension mods.

Once I put the suspension and brakes on it, I am going to take it in for an alignment and cornerbalance.

Ok, I will get a set of PS2's from Tirerack; they are on clearance!

Colby
"It is NOT a daily driver. It does not see rain, snow, etc."

I slipped and slid with PS'2 go with the Pilot Sport Cups if your not driving in the rain

Old 08-24-2011, 06:31 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
You should have no problem with 600 rwhp. You will get some spin but nothing too bad. That being said my 640 rwhp spins Hoosier slicks out of hairpins on the track!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:52 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Just put my set of r888 s on the rear that I got in the spring. These things hook up. My ps2 s in front brake loose.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
R888 Or Hankook RS3s (totally under-rared and cheap as hell). I've never driven a car with as much grip as the hankooks on the track..

Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ari
Hankook RS3s I've never driven a car with as much grip as the hankooks on the track..
Ari> what else have you driven on the track ?? Limited on 18" sizes for TT. I went from Sumi's to PS'2 to track tires Kumho V710 - now these are sticky

Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 AM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
I use PS2s on the street and Toyo R888s on the track. The main reason I take the R888s off for the street is that they are much more noisy than the PS2s. Also, I know you said the car doesn't see rain, but the PS2s are better in the rain.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
put AWD back in

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT is on its way back from EPL! Just one problem...